Menu

Contacting senators/representatives not from your district?

OK, I don't mean to turn this into a political thread. . . . . .

I would like to contact senators & reps regarding a political issue. (Guess which one? ;)) Some folks have suggested that I just email EVERY senator and representative. . . . .but I have to fill out a contact form, stating where I live. Will they listen to me if I'm not in their district?

Just wondering - before I fill out a million email requests ;)

I know there were 3 republicans who were voting for the bill. Maybe starting with them? If you get names and contact info, I would love to do the same.

Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, and Arlan Specter. Just type is their name and dotgov and you'll get their website with phone numbers and email. I am guessing they are getting inundated. They work for us, not the other way around, so go for it!

Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, and Arlan Specter. Just type is their name and dotgov and you'll get their website with phone numbers and email. I am guessing they are getting inundated. They work for us, not the other way around, so go for it!

I guess that's my problem - if I'm not in their district, do they really WORK for me?

Well, to the extent that any campaign on either side depends not only on contributions to its own fund but donations/support from the state and national party, then the public perception of specific office holders does matter.

In other words, if there is a large outcry against certain votes, then perhaps it will encourage a challenger in the primaries, discourage the state party or national party from spending large amounts to support that campaign, discourage other notable officials from campaigning for them and discourage other members of that party from getting out of line.

Maybe you should cc your emails to the Minority Leader, Minority Whip, senior minority member of the relevant committes and your state party reps. The other thing that I'd suggest is that you get involved on the local level. I am pretty tired of party politics being dominated by folks whose careers are in politics, not in real life. Not every local elected official ever goes to state or national office. But it is pretty rare to find a Member of Congress or Governor who didn't start out as something much smaller. Encourage good reliable people to run; give them money, volunteer support and votes. Get active in your local party, it may be smaller than you think. The local party club in my MIL's hometown, a township of over 65,000 people probably has fewer than 100 active members. Local clubs can impact the county organization which can hold the state and national to account.

I wanted to contact a rep from a different state a few months ago. When I tried to use his email through his office website I was denied. It said something like "this person is not your representative, please contact your representative."

So you might have to get the regular email address instead of going through the person's website form.

One time I called about something and asked for my representative. They misunderstood the name I said and gave me a rep's office from Arizona. The guy got suspicious when I gave him my street name - it's something like "Green Forest Road." He said, wouldn't you also like to contact your own rep? That's when we realized the mistake LOL. Not a lot of forests in the desert!