Menu

If you've followed my stinky life -- it got worse

Yesterday, in the middle of the day, we were called away to Winchester, VA (4 hours away) because my husband's dad was in the hospital. He had had a heart attack a couple of weeks prior and lots of shortness of breath and chest pain (those two we had never heard of until recently, though it had been going on for a couple of months). They had planned to do a heart cath yesterday, but he had 90% blockage on one side and 75% on the other.

So, John's sister and family flew in from Washington state, and we drove up. He had had a close call yesterday with shortness of breath while at the hospital, so they gave him morphine and stronger meds. Today, we had to listen to the cardiologist explain his options. His parents are both in their high 80's and were looking to us for advice on what to do. Essentially, it's:

1. try to live with meds, walking around like a time bomb

2. have a triple bypass

We took all three of the boys, not knowing if this would be the last time they would see their grandfather. The whole day was stressful with Aaron watching them at the hotel because you can only have two visitors in ICU. I drove us home this evening -- John will come some time tomorrow if Paul (his Dad) plans to have the triple bypass on Friday. He will then drive up again for that. We unpacked, I made dinner, and the boys all just climbed in bed.

I am exhausted. We had to cancel our tax appt. today. Our van was also supposed to have gone into the shop for minor repairs from a parking lot incident (remember, we had to drive four hours to get a piece of furniture, only to have some lady back into my new van?).

Everything is happening at once. Our house is still a wreck because of renovations.

I want to be with my husband right now.

Thanks for listening.

It is times like this that put your heart in your throat. We will pray for you here. Last Tuesday night my own father-in-law had a heart attack and emergency angioplasty and stent put in. He is 84. He is home now, but I totally understand what you mean by "walking time bomb." It isn't just that though, they are getting older and we know that our years together are short now. It has been a tough week balancing the joy of a new grandbaby, feelings of sadness over the great distance between here and Germany, and the fear we felt about John(dh's dad). This growing older stuff is not much fun after 30 I think.