Menu

Singapore Math - what do you use

Teresa in MO

If you use Singapore Math alone what books do you buy. There is a US edition and a Standards edition? What is the difference between and which do you use. Also, what supplemental books do you need. I know CWP, but what about Intensive practice and extra practice. Do you need both? Can you use the supplemental books with both the US edition and the standards? I noticed in RR catalog that there are supplemental worksheet books you can buy also. Any help would be appreciated.

The standards edition is new and is written to conform to CA state standards. We have not used it and probably will not.

We have used Singapore for years and these are the combinations we have done:

1a/b text and workbook and challenging word problems.

2a/b text and workbook

3a/b text, workbook and extra practice

4a/b text, workbook, home instructors guides and challenging word problems.

We are also doing this:

1a text and workbook and Rod and Staff 1 workbooks

1b text and workbook and Rod and Staff 2 workbooks

We have had the Intensive practice in our hands and I find that it is best used as a supplement or main workbook by children who are extreamly advanced.

We have used the extra practice book for a book end review.

The challenging word problems are good.

The Home Instructors guides do have good instructional material in them but we don't like scripted programs so have not used them so far.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

We are in 1B and have completed 1A.

textbook- I have these, but haven't used them much, if at all

workbooks- we use these

CWP- Dd has not found these challenging. Perhaps they become more difficult at higher levels

HIG- I find this helpful. I don't use the scripted lessons, but I like seeing what she should know at each point. I sometimes use the mental math found here.

FWIW, we take breaks from Singapore Math and do Miquon every now and then. Dd enjoys it.

We have the US edition. Last week, I compared the scope and sequence for each edition. For next year, I am contemplating the Standards edition since we live in a state that requires standardized testing. It looks like it might cover additional things that would appear on the tests. Has anyone else chosen the standards edition for that reason?

I've got two students in Singapore, a first and fifth grader. We are using the US edition of the textbook, the intensive practice workbook, and the challenging word problems. We're in courses 2A and 4B currently.

I really can't comment on the standards edition as I've never used it.

I used Singapore Primary Math (3rd edition) 4A-6B with one of my now high schoolers. I also used 3A-4B with his brother before switching him to something else.

My younger children have used Earlybird 1A-2B (US edition), Primary Math 1A-2B (US edition), and Primary Math 3A (3rd edition with US edition workbooks).

We also have Challenging Word Problems 1-6 (some in the older Topical Problem Sums editions). The word problems in levels 1-2 don't really seem especially challenging, but levels 3-6 are very challenging.

Samples from book 3:

213 paper clips are shared equally among Sue, Jane, and Alice. If Alice gives 24 paper clips to Sue, how many paper clips has Sue altogether?

After Ali had given 42 rubber bands to Simon, they had the same number of rubber bands. If they had 110 rubber bands altogether, how many rubber bands did Ali have at first?

I use Miquon as our primary math program until it is complete, using Singapore occasionally for variety or to give extra practice in something. (I do require them to do at least 2 word problems from the Challenging Word problem book each day, though.). After they finish Miquon, I move them over to Singapore full time. My 2 high schoolers are using MUS.

We use the text, workbook, and CWP at grade level (currently in 3B). We use the regular (non CA standards) edition. I had the IP for years 1 and 2 but it's really geared toward math whizzes, puzzle-lovers, etc., which my 8 yo is not. It might suit youngest dd better, but for now we're saving the money and not getting it.

We supplement with Horizons (I cross out a lot of it) for the breadth of problems and review. We do drill at times.

I've one using Singapore Math right now. He uses US Edition: Textbook, Workbook, IP, CWP. The Extra Practice book contains problems generally on the same level as the workbook. IP starts out with easier problem sets and then ramps up the difficulty. A child who can work the IP problems, especially the latter ones in each unit, understands whatever concept he's been working on. I haven't ever seen the worksheets RR sells; so, I can't comment on them. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

I currently have two using Singapore US edition. One in 2B and the other in 4B. We use the textbook, workbook, intensive practice, and the challenging word problems. Although I wouldn't say the IP is necessary, I do find that in many cases it takes a deeper understanding of the concept to work the problems in the IP than the workbook. If there is anything my kids didn't completely understand with the workbook assignment, we find it and hash it out with the IP. HTH

We're just finishing 2b of the Standards Edition. I'ver never seen the US so I can't compare them. We chose the standards be cause I liked the sequence of comcepts taught.

We use the text, workbook, and CWP.

I'm glad to see the people who said CWP gets more complex after level 2, because I didn't find the problems very challenging this year. It was a good mind flex and I'm glad we got it, but not as difficult as I expected.

I looked at the IP online. It definately looks more challenging than CWP. I'm going to order IP for level 2, and let dd work through it before going on to level 3A.

Edited by Blessedfamily

I looked at the IP online. It definately looks more challenging than CWP. I'm going to order IP for level 2, and let dd work through it before going on to level 3A.
The word problems Challenging section of CWP are more difficult that those in IP. But yes, CWP3 is a big step up from CWP2.

We use the US edition -- IP in lieu of the workbook with CWP thrown in. IP is ideal for math adept children. The Standards Edition wasn't around when I purchased the books, so it wasn't an option. If I had the choice now, I'd feel more comfortable with it if I knew what was to come in year 6.