Menu

I need "shelves" or "books" or whatever you call it, for my mom

Mom had a bilateral mysectomy, January of last year. When they put in spacers the first time, to create room for implants, the area became infected. It was a bizarre infection, took months to diagnose and the skin on her chest died. Two weeks ago, they removed 'flaps' from her back and put them on her chest. This was supposed to create enough room for implants, but it didn't. They used spacers again. Now, again, the flaps are starting to die. My mom will be crushed if these don't work out. Depression is not a strong enough word. She has felt like half a woman without shelves or books, or whatever. Please, please, please, tell me there are some sort of realistic looking falsies out there. Where can I find them? I'm sorry, I know this isn't something that really belongs on here, but I don't know where else to go.

Thank you,

Julie

I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine what she's going through.

If I recall correctly, Betty Rollin wrote of this very dilemma in First, You Cry, in the 1970s or early 80s. She ended up finding a prosthesis maker who basically took a mold of her remaining "book" and made a match. That obviously won't work exactly the same way in your mother's case.

I would think the technology has improved immensely in the 25-30 years since she did it. I'm pretty sure there are now silicone "slip-in" enhancers that warm and mold to your body, have adequate heft (that was a problem Rollin encountered with other approaches - her one side would stay up if she raised her arms) and a natural shape. Like these. Or these.

But, really, I would think her insurance would cover professional prostheses, which I'm sure would feel better.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. :grouphug: This same thing happened to my grandmother...the infection was so bad, it split the seam and the spacer was actually beginning to "pop" out. She got her gellie BooKs at Nordstroms, and they are very nice. She contacted them with the help of her breast cancer support group. This is a service that Nordstrom's offers in their lingerie department, so I know they can help anyone. They fitted her for the right kind, shape, etc.. and helped her pick out bras to go with them.

I was my grandma's support during this time in her life, and I saw how devistated she was when she was informed that she would not be able to have implants. I know this is very hard for both of you, but you'll make it through. Keep your spirits up.

Unfortunately I've btdt to a certain extent. I had the surgery where they use tummy fat to create a fake, um, book? And it went, shall I say, half well? One side took and the other side didn't. I was able to get an implant on the opposite side (implant wasn't an option on the other side), but the size and shape totally doesn't match. I've had my fill of surgeries so I don't want to do anything else about it. I wear a bra with a filler-in thingie to make me look symmetrical in clothes.

She needs to go to a post-mastectomy shop. Her doctors ought to know where to refer her. They will measure her for a prosthesis and take care of everything, maybe even bill insurance.

If she's still healing and can't wear a bra yet, there is a product called a Sof-tee post mastectomy camisole which is wonderful.

This happens more often than you'd think. If I had it to do over again I probably would have at least postponed reconstruction. But I really really really dislike surgery. In a way, the surgically-created fake breasts are just as fake as something you can put on and take off with a bra. At least with the bra kind of fake breasts you can choose what size and shape you get. With the surgically-created kind you are at the mercy of the surgeon's judgment. And there is a lot of pain involved in getting them. If the surgeon could make a lactating, sensitive book, well, that would be different.

Thanks, everyone. I had no idea there were so many options available.

Just so you know, her doctors are, imo, worse than useless. If it was me I would've found a lawyer long before now.

Be that as it may, I've called my sister and sil and we're going to look at everything you guys have listed, pool our resources, and try to get mom the closest to the real thing we can.

Mom's stopped talking to everyone except my dd. Hopefully, when she sees the options, she'll make it back out of this fog.

Call the hospital your mom had her surgery at, and ask for the Social Work or Case Management department. Someone there should be able to save you some leg work - as long as they give you more than the # for American Cancer Society.

But the ACS should have a lot of wonderful resources for you as well. Also, ask her to consider Reach to Recovery.