Menu

How long do babies grow fast?

Do they slow down at some point? Not till a year or more? He just turned 4 months, and he's outgrowing his 9 months stuff!!! I'm trying to project if he'll wear 24 months come fall (clearance stuff I found), or if he could be even larger! He's not so weighty (17.5 lbs), but he's very long, lean, and strong. It's the length that is getting him. Any thoughts? Will he keep this current pace of a size every 2 months for his entire first year? Longer?

My first born was a big baby, at a year he was 27lbs and in size 3T clothing. Yet at almost 9, he has yet to double his 1 year weight and most slims are too big for him.

My youngest is 5 and wearing 3T bottoms and 4T tops weighing in at 34 lbs.

I agree, you can't predict. My son weighed 25 lbs. at 6 months! He wore 3T and I had to cut off the arms and legs and sew them up. There is no way to know what size your baby will be when. It's a gamble to buy early.

My boys grew really fast at first and then slowed down a little at about 1 year old. My first ds was in 12mo clothing at 4 months and then in 18 mo clothing at about 9mo and then in 24 mo at about 18 months and then in same age clothing. I think hard to guess, but I would think he will slow down his growth by summer. (Just a guess):tongue_smilie:

My first ds was 10.8 at birth and at 1 he was 27.4lbs and 31 1/2" long. My second ds was 10.2 at birth and at 1 year he was 24.10 and 33" long. I never bought clothes ahead because I couldn't easily predict their future sizes. FWIW, they both are still in the 90+% at ages 9 and 7. Now they wear one size up (the 9 yo wears 12, and the 7 wears 10). Now with my dd I have the opposite problem. She is a peanut and is still in many 9 months clothes. I am afraid to buy ahead for spring and summer.

Do they slow down at some point? Not till a year or more? He just turned 4 months, and he's outgrowing his 9 months stuff!!! I'm trying to project if he'll wear 24 months come fall (clearance stuff I found), or if he could be even larger! He's not so weighty (17.5 lbs), but he's very long, lean, and strong. It's the length that is getting him. Any thoughts? Will he keep this current pace of a size every 2 months for his entire first year? Longer?

Hey Elizabeth! My little peanut is just 14 pounds but she gained a pound in the last week and a half after only gaining 4.5 pounds her whole first 4 months. Maybe he'll slow down a little after this growth spurt??

Barb

Well Barb, it didn't occur to me we could have a dramatic growth spurt coming, wowsers! Your baby is just a couple weeks ahead of mine, so uh-oh... He started off 11 pounds, so yours is similar in progression, just starting a couple pounds lighter at the beginning. But those couple pounds make a difference, or maybe I'm a wimp! He just feels like a tank to me, a Hummer! :)

Well ugh, I don't know if I should take back those 24 months things or keep them. They're SO adorable, and they WERE on clearance. But if he doesn't get to wear them... Double ugh. I think he's a bit longer in the trunk than normal, which makes him outgrow his shirts that snap at the bottom. I asked dh last night if that could mean he's a dwarf (big head, long trunk, shorter legs), but he just looked at me funny, haha...

I think he's a bit longer in the trunk than normal, which makes him outgrow his shirts that snap at the bottom. I asked dh last night if that could mean he's a dwarf (big head, long trunk, shorter legs), but he just looked at me funny, haha...

:lol: You may already know about these, but you can get extenders that will give you a little more wear on the shirts and onesies that snap on the bottom. This helped quite a bit with both boys. Good luck:001_smile:

http://www.bestdressedtot.com/onesie-extenders-i-play.html?productid=onesie-extenders-i-play&channelid=FROOG

Edited by MotherMayI
added a link

Well Barb, it didn't occur to me we could have a dramatic growth spurt coming, wowsers! Your baby is just a couple weeks ahead of mine, so uh-oh... He started off 11 pounds, so yours is similar in progression, just starting a couple pounds lighter at the beginning. But those couple pounds make a difference, or maybe I'm a wimp! He just feels like a tank to me, a Hummer! :)

Well ugh, I don't know if I should take back those 24 months things or keep them. They're SO adorable, and they WERE on clearance. But if he doesn't get to wear them... Double ugh. I think he's a bit longer in the trunk than normal, which makes him outgrow his shirts that snap at the bottom. I asked dh last night if that could mean he's a dwarf (big head, long trunk, shorter legs), but he just looked at me funny, haha...

But weren't we due the same day or thereabouts?? I remember he was really, really late. Maybe he's actually *in* his growth spurt. You can hope, right? Post a picture, he sounds adorable!

Barb

Barb, yup, we were due at the same time. In fact, didn't your midwife induce you or something? I remember someone popping right about that time and how much it KILLED me that my midwife wasn't offering the same thing, ugh. My midwife is VERY non-interventionist. Not that she doesn't want to do things, but they have to be so careful in our state. So yes, I went several days over 2 weeks overdue according to my dates. Obviously we can't be hyper-certain about the due date, but... I ran 4 cm big the entire time, so some actually thought I'd pop early. Not only did I not pop early, but I went way over! She said by the standards they use for age-assessments, he was fully a week over but not 2 weeks over. Whatever that means, there you go. It was looking at stuff like wrinkling of the feet, amount of peeling skin, etc. Mercifully, the birth was a very good birth, and he is happy as a lark.

Pics? Nope, I never post pics of my dc online. But if you come to the Cincy convention, you can see the baby in person. He's only the most beautiful baby boy you've ever seen. (I'm biased. ;) ) Oh wait, you're in AZ. If you get me a ticket to come see you, I'll gladly bring the baby. I LOVED Arizona when we were there, oh my.

Lisa, I did NOT know about those extenders!! What a fabulous thing!!! I should have thought of that. Someone got us a Hanna Andersson shirt that has two sets of snaps, and it's so terrific, makes it last a whole extra size. Actually, it's a size 70, and he started wearing it a couple months ago (very big), is still wearing it on the first set of snaps, and will have a lot longer to go with it. So it was probably crazy expensive (organic, blah blah), but he's getting a ton of wear out of it. I wonder if I can find those extenders in a store? How cool! Thanks for the tip!

About 15 or 16 for girls. Not until about 23 for boys. That years not months. My kids have been in a growth spurt since they were born. All of the ones 15 and older are pretty much their adult height and I guess we'll see if they pack on the college 20. The 12 year probably has afew inches yet and then she needs to gain at least 20 pounds. The youngest is a little healthy right now but I think that she will thin out as she gets taller. I think that the clothing industry sizes clothes to age not what children will actually wieght at that age. My kids were always a few sizes ahead. My grandbaby is six months old and he wears 12 month.

Hi Elizabeth!

I'm sure you're thoroughly confused still on what to do, so let me add to the assumed confusion!:lol:

My little guy is 8 months and approx. 20lbs and 28" long. He has had a tremendous slow down over the last 2 months. He hasn't gone up much in weight and his length only increased 1/4 in. He's been in 9-12 mos. clothing since he was 6 mos old and that size still fits him now. I don't know if it will pick back up or if he was making up for lost ground from when he was born and had lost so much weight from my lack of milk production.

I do seem to remember with my other two that there was a slow down once they started crawling (and my little guy has been crawling for months and is now standing), so maybe there is something to that. :confused:

So how's that for good, hard information? :D ;)

Barb, yup, we were due at the same time. In fact, didn't your midwife induce you or something? I remember someone popping right about that time and how much it KILLED me that my midwife wasn't offering the same thing, ugh. My midwife is VERY non-interventionist. Not that she doesn't want to do things, but they have to be so careful in our state. So yes, I went several days over 2 weeks overdue according to my dates. Obviously we can't be hyper-certain about the due date, but... I ran 4 cm big the entire time, so some actually thought I'd pop early. Not only did I not pop early, but I went way over! She said by the standards they use for age-assessments, he was fully a week over but not 2 weeks over. Whatever that means, there you go. It was looking at stuff like wrinkling of the feet, amount of peeling skin, etc. Mercifully, the birth was a very good birth, and he is happy as a lark.

Pics? Nope, I never post pics of my dc online. But if you come to the Cincy convention, you can see the baby in person. He's only the most beautiful baby boy you've ever seen. (I'm biased. ;) ) Oh wait, you're in AZ. If you get me a ticket to come see you, I'll gladly bring the baby. I LOVED Arizona when we were there, oh my.

I was due the 19th of September and had her strip my membranes on the 25th. I didn't get much cramping, so I came home and took castor oil and she was born on the 25th. No vernix, but no peeling either so she was probably right on as well. There was a little confusion as to her actual due date.

Alas, no conventions for me this year. I even have reservations for the Williamsburg convention Just In Case, but I can't see it happening. But if you're ever back in the Phoenix area, bring that baby over to play!

Barb

. I think he's a bit longer in the trunk than normal, which makes him outgrow his shirts that snap at the bottom. .

They do sell onesie extenders. I found them very useful for my long babies.

My 5 month old son is also in 9 months clothing (he was born at 10lbs 22 1/2 in August). He seems to be slowing down a bit. In the beginning he grew really fast. He never really wore 0-3 months, then he went to 3-6 months for what seemed like a week, now he is in 6-9 months and he has been there since before x-mas. I think we will be in 12 months come April. (which stinks because my 12 month clothes are summer :glare:)

IMO, I would keep the 24 months clothes if they were on sale (a good sale) you can always donate them or give them away. May be he can wear them part of the season or in fall or spring.

My 6 year old was also 10lbs at birth. By 9 months he was size 12 months.

HTH!

That's the other thing I'm realizing, that the 12 months stuff I'm looking at now is summer stuff, and we're not even to summer. His 9 months sleepers are too tight now and scrunching him, so I'm going to have to figure out something. I didn't buy 12 months warm sleepers, because I never dreamed he'd need them so soon!

I don't think he's going to slow down dramatically any time soon, because I have tall people in my family. My dd is at the upper end of the growth charts, and looks like he will be too. That's actually what I thought I'd do next is look at the growth charts and extrapolate...

That's the other thing I'm realizing, that the 12 months stuff I'm looking at now is summer stuff, and we're not even to summer. His 9 months sleepers are too tight now and scrunching him, so I'm going to have to figure out something. I didn't buy 12 months warm sleepers, because I never dreamed he'd need them so soon!

I don't think he's going to slow down dramatically any time soon, because I have tall people in my family. My dd is at the upper end of the growth charts, and looks like he will be too. That's actually what I thought I'd do next is look at the growth charts and extrapolate...

Ebay.

My boys slowed down once they were up and walking. FWIW, my 8yo is tall and lean; he wears size 10 pants and 10-12 shirts. My soon-to-be 6yo wears size 8 pants and shirts. He's super tall for his age as well but more stout (not fat). Both boys are supposed to be over 6 foot as adults. We haven't figured out how that happened yet. My dh is 5'7" and I'm 5'5".

Well humph, this is blowing my mind to think he could be 3T at a year!!! I went and looked at some of the 3T jammies I found on clearance, and they're HUGE!!!! :)

Any more takers? What did your 11 pound at birth baby weigh when he was a year old? :)

Well, mine wasn't 11lbs, she was 8, but the in general, an infant doubles his birth weight by 4 months and triples it by his first birthday - so he'll probably be in the 33lb range. Naturally, every child is different, but I found it to be true with my daughter, almost down to the ounce. Thank goodness they start slowing down after that! I was so happy to not have to buy an entire new wardrobe every season.

Kalah, thanks for the stats! My dad and brother are both well over 6', so I think that's where it's coming from. Looks like your two boys are running *2* sizes above age, which is sort of what I was suspecting would happen. Just wasn't sure if it would be 1 1/2 or 2 sizes ahead. That season transition makes it tricky too. I'll probably figure it out just when I don't need it any more, haha. I do think I'm going to plan on 2 sizes ahead, since it looks like that's what is happening. Thanks!

Lisa, I did NOT know about those extenders!! What a fabulous thing!!! I should have thought of that. Someone got us a Hanna Andersson shirt that has two sets of snaps, and it's so terrific, makes it last a whole extra size. Actually, it's a size 70, and he started wearing it a couple months ago (very big), is still wearing it on the first set of snaps, and will have a lot longer to go with it. So it was probably crazy expensive (organic, blah blah), but he's getting a ton of wear out of it. I wonder if I can find those extenders in a store? How cool! Thanks for the tip!

Elizabeth,

Are you going for all three days of the convention?

IIRC, my boy was in size 12 month at 6 months old, and at 24 months when he was a year old, so doubling was pretty accurate for him. He did slow down a little bit after that, but he is still very tall. He just turned 9 last week, and is outgrowing his 12S. His feet are already bigger than mine. It goes so fast. :sad:

Edited by neesek

My youngest grew 4 inches in 2 months, and outgrew the clothes to prove it (measuring babies' height in not particularly accurate.) But he was skinny. All my babies were 90th percentile when they were young, but not one is now. Based on my height, you'd think at least one would be 97th or 98th percentile in height (I'm 5 ft 10 in), but not one of them is, at least not at this point. You can't tell until their done, for the most part.