Menu

typing program that teaches asdf jkl; and few words?

ElizabethB

I learned to type with a program called typing tutor, it drilled the basics, and it was a very good way to learn to type. I've tried a few word based typing programs with my daughter, not so helpful.

So, which typing programs focus on the basics without teaching a lot of words at first? Also, for mac is better, but we can reboot our mac as a pc if we must.

Basically, the program I want would teach asdf jkl; then dedede then frfrfr, etc.

It's hard to tell from the descriptions of the programs how they teach.

We found this on-line site , Dance Mat Typing, to be a good starting point and it's free. Now, dd is using Typing Instructor for Kids and is loving it. It teaches in stages, but does get into words as soon as the right keys are learned. It has been much better for dd than the adult version of Typing Instructor.

Elizabeth, if you know what kind of typing instruction you would like your dd to have, why don't you create your own ?

Pardon me, but I never use a computer typing program, so I don't know how it works. Can anybody tell me how it works ?

I learned typing when I was 12 in Indonesia many moons ago. I used a textbook which was basically filled in with what we're supposed to type. That's it. It starts with qwert poiuy, then asdfg ;lkjh then zxcvb /.,mn then a lot of nonsense letter combination (including how to do the upper case letters) for a long time.

Then we moved onto words then sentences, paragraphing and then various form of business letters.

Are you looking for such typing course ?

Honestly, I like the simplicity of "Type It". It's just a basic typing instruction, not computer-based. Same way as I learned it - looking at the Instruction book and typing what you see there.

But there if you google "typing instruction kids" a few good ones come up online. There's one from the UK that my 6 yr old likes, can't remember the name now.

Elizabeth, if you know what kind of typing instruction you would like your dd to have, why don't you create your own ?

The program had built in motivational games and speed reports. It would be very teacher intensive to work in that type of thing that a computer can calculate in its sleep. Also, the sheer amount of repetition that is required in the beginning stages is fairly large, I'd prefer to be able to have a program that does most of the work for me with me there just to make sure she's working.

We found this on-line site , Dance Mat Typing, to be a good starting point and it's free. Now, dd is using Typing Instructor for Kids and is loving it. It teaches in stages, but does get into words as soon as the right keys are learned. It has been much better for dd than the adult version of Typing Instructor.

That looks like a great start, and you can't beat the price!

Thanks.

Basically, the program I want would teach asdf jkl; then dedede then frfrfr, etc.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've looked at various online typing programs and they don't seem to drill they keys systematically so that kids learn them automatically. I learned to type the same way you describe - drilling the home row over and over again, then adding another letter or two, but in drills, not in actual words. Ds is using Mavis Beacon right now, but is very frustrated by it. He says the program expects him to be able to do more than he is able to do easily. I think it's because he hasn't been drilled over and over again in just a few keys at a time, in the same order. It's hard to explain what I mean. But MB and others I've looked at get right into typing words and sentences, and I don't like that. I mean, the drills we did in high school typing class were very boring (and from a book with an electronic typewriter:D), but effective, because my fingers quickly got confident with where the keys were, by doing just a few at a time, in order, over and over.

Are there any programs out there that teach this way anymore?

Ds is using Mavis Beacon right now, but is very frustrated by it. He says the program expects him to be able to do more than he is able to do easily. I think it's because he hasn't been drilled over and over again in just a few keys at a time, in the same order. It's hard to explain what I mean. But MB and others I've looked at get right into typing words and sentences, and I don't like that.

The Mavis Beacon program we're using does not expect you to start with words and sentences. My kids are starting with home row keys and drills. It's working very well. It's version 10, btw.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've looked at various online typing programs and they don't seem to drill they keys systematically so that kids learn them automatically. I learned to type the same way you describe - drilling the home row over and over again, then adding another letter or two, but in drills, not in actual words. Ds is using Mavis Beacon right now, but is very frustrated by it. He says the program expects him to be able to do more than he is able to do easily. I think it's because he hasn't been drilled over and over again in just a few keys at a time, in the same order. It's hard to explain what I mean. But MB and others I've looked at get right into typing words and sentences, and I don't like that. I mean, the drills we did in high school typing class were very boring (and from a book with an electronic typewriter:D), but effective, because my fingers quickly got confident with where the keys were, by doing just a few at a time, in order, over and over.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm a really fast typer and I think that's why. I've actually seen old versions of the typing tutor program available for PC, but they're really old and it seemed like a pain to install...even more so since our "PC" is really a PC emulator on our mac.

The typing tutor program did eventually get to words, but it also drilled over and over and over the way you describe. It made the drills a little more fun because you tried to beat the times. Also, I think it kept track of what you knew and didn't know (another thing computers do easily) so it was just drilling you on what you needed more work on.

I'm cringing as I type this confession. As much as I don't like Sponge Bob and we have never really watched him here, the Mac friendly Sponge Bob typing cd-rom has been wonderful in this house. My 12 and 10 yr old boys are learning so easily and painlessly. I feared its teaching methods and watched them like a hawk for several days but can't find anything wrong with it. The style is good and the games built in make it fun.

I bought ours at the Apple store.