Menu

Received mail addressed to someone else...

I don't know how we managed to get this mail delivered to our mailbox as the only way it's similar to our address is the town and house number. The name, street address and zip code are completely different to ours. (I mention the name because we've had a few instances over the years of living here where we have recieved mail that's been incorrectly addressed and still managed to arrive in our mailbox in a timely manner all because the postal workers know our name at this address.)

My question is how do we mark this letter to be redirected? "Not at this address" seems odd because the person probably IS at the address listed on the mail... but obviously she's not at OUR address. :tongue_smilie:

Would "Delivered to incorrect address" make sense? Is there an official way of noting mail in situations such as this? I can't find this info on the USPS site.

We've had this happen to us from time to time when we get a sub mail person. I put a post-it note on the letter that says "Delivered in Error"

I have no idea what happens from there :tongue_smilie:

Once UPS delivered a package that wasn't our address (the numbers were the same, but in a different order). We drove the package a few miles to the correct address and left it on the stoop.

This happens to us all the time. We have sloppy mail carriers, apparently. We just put it back in the mailbox with the flag up, and the mail carrier collects it just like any other piece of outgoing mail I would place there - I assume once they have it back in their hands they can figure out the delivery address is not ours.

This happens to us all the time. We have sloppy mail carriers, apparently. We just put it back in the mailbox with the flag up, and the mail carrier collects it just like any other piece of outgoing mail I would place there - I assume once they have it back in their hands they can figure out the delivery address is not ours.

We have it happen a lot too-what really makes me nervous is: Is someone getting our mail, and if so, are they as honest as we are?

We sent a Christmas card with a check, photos of the dc, etc.. to my step-daughter-I had a wrong address, and guess what? It never came back to us or got to her. She said her old address was in a "bad neighborhood" and didn't expect whoever got it to do the right thing! Nice, huh? With my check info right on it!!!

Please don't put "wrong address" or anything really vague on the letter. The postal carriers are very lazy around here and constantly deliver mail to the wrong house. On more than one occasion, an important piece of mail has been returned when someone wrote "wrong address" on it. I've had Christmas gifts from Target.com sent back, birthday cards for my kids, important letters from my attorney and school forms all returned to sender after a neighbor put my mail back in their box after being incorrectly delivered. It's such a pain!!!!!1

Thanks, ladies. I'll just pop it back in the mailbox tomorrow. I like the idea of using a sticky-note rather than writing on the envelope.

I'm grateful this sort of thing is rare for us, in fact I more commonly see the positive side of the local postal team's effort, such as a letter from a friend being delivered on time despite having no number on the address at all. Considering how loooooooooong this road is, (my house number is 4 digits), I am amazed it found it's way to me at all, let alone on time!

I usually circle the address. I figure they don't look at it when they pick it up; they just drop it in their bag. By the time it gets back to the station, it's just another piece of mail that needs to be delivered, & it has another shot at the right address.

I'd be afraid a sticky note would get knocked off pretty quickly.

As far as that happening to *my* mail--I had a student loan check for over $1000 go to the wrong address one time. When I got it, it looked like the person had just been going thr their mail, because it was opened & retaped. Can you imagine? You've got your letter opener, & you're sorting trash & bills, etc., & all of a sudden, you pull out this huge check, your eyes bug out, you look at it again, & you say, "Aubrey? I don't know an Aubrey. Oh wait. This isn't mine." Bummer.

This happens A LOT here too. I write on the envelope "Delivered to Wrong Address" and place it back in my box. Once after doing this, the same piece of mail came back a few days later!! The house number on the envelope was the same as mine, but the street name was totally different. So, the second time I added the word "AGAIN" and put it back one more time.

I too wonder how often my mail goes elsewhere. Doesn't make me feel comfortable at all.

how do we mark this letter to be redirected

When that happens to me, I just mail the letter as is, drop it in the outgoing mail.

If it comes back again, I do the same.

I've never had to do this more than 3 times. It stays away after a while ;)

:seeya: