Menu

Classical Education of old...

How were the founding fathers educated? I always hear about how Ben Franklin was classically educated, so it must be good.

Why do I not have any information on this?

When did they start school? How many years were they tutored? When someone graduated a product of a classical education, weren't they considered done? Yet we are expected to put our kids through a classical education and then send them to college. Am I wrong here? I am just assuming. I have no information on this, but would certainly love to have some.

When did they start school? How many years were they tutored? When someone graduated a product of a classical education, weren't they considered done? Yet we are expected to put our kids through a classical education and then send them to college. Am I wrong here? I am just assuming. I have no information on this, but would certainly love to have some.

No, in very early American history, boys were tutored in Latin grammar because that was a prerequisite to admission to Harvard. Girls were done after age fourteen or so, though.

Also, Benjamin Franklin was apprenticed to a printmaker, not the more rigorous model of early American education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Colonial_America

The two books that taught me the most about the nitty gritty of colonial education were The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution, which went into great detail about the common knowledge of colonial Americans, and The Family Letters of Thomas Jefferson, which included his letters to his sister dictating each year's homeschool curriculum for his daughters.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

My library had this Truthquest recommendation. I thought it was a good read for me- not the kids. She also wrote Home Life in Colonial Days.

Child Life in Colonial Days, by Alice Morse Earle:

http://books.google.com/books?id=AJAAAAAAYAAJ&dq=child+life+in+colonial+america+alice+morse+earle&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=dWKMSaWcLJ6DtwfZxM2DCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result

How were the founding fathers educated? I always hear about how Ben Franklin was classically educated, so it must be good.

Why do I not have any information on this?

How about just getting some biographies out of the library and reading the parts about these people's educations? I find out a lot of this kind of stuff by reading bios. Right now I'm slowly reading The Education of Cyrus, and it's fascinating, esp. since I now recognize (thanks to using WTM for our homeschooling) the things that his father and other mentors were teaching him and how they taught him.

Even some quick reads of bios. written for middle grade students will give you some insight into how lots of people from the past were educated. I have bios from the YWAM heroes series, and some from The Sowers and some from Childhood of Famous Americans. It's fun for me to see how when many of the were kids, they had to study math methodically, they were taught sounds for reading, they were taught Latin skills, spelling skills.....all the stuff I missed out on in my random education.

I was just reading about Shakespeare in the preface to a play- in his day, he and others of his social status , boys only of course, were sent to school at age 4 or 5 and schooled from 6am till 4 or 5 in the afternoon, with only a short break in the day- until about age 15- then they moved onto an apprenticeship. Latin was emphasised in school. It sounds like that was normal for the wealthier classes. It didnt mention university but I guess some went there too.

I am not sure I would compare a modern classical education, WTM style, to an historical one- having read Plaid Dad's book and Climbing Parnassus. We live in different times- even if we wanted to imitate what they did we would have to adapt it to our times.

I don't presume my kids will go to university anyway- but giving them a broad and deep foundation during their childhood/teens, while preserving their spirit and love of learning and life- is my aim. I am not sure I would want a traditional classical education with long hours and gruelling work all through childhood- anyway.