Menu

Egg w/ blood--what do I do?

I was making a b'fast casserole for tomorrow, laid out all the crescent rolls, & the first egg I broke into the casserole dish had a big red circle on the yolk, & the clear part was orange. I nearly gagged. I mean, I've heard of this, but...yuck.

My question is--I don't care if the egg's edible or not, ew!--but if I can get it out, is the crescent roll dough salvagable? Should I throw out the rest of the eggs? It was a crate of 2.5 dozen, but I was down to 9 left. I'm iclined to throw it all away--eggs, crescent rolls, everything. But maybe that's a little rash?

There is nothing wrong with the egg. I had chickens for years. Sometimes they have little tiny hemorrhages that form while they are laying the egg (I mean ya know it has to hurt, right??). That is what you are seeing. Many people think it's fertile, but fertile eggs usually have a white ring in them. The blood is gross looking, but it will not hurt you.

So, if it bothers you, do your best to remove that part of it and just continue with your recipe. Otherwise, just blend it in and don't worry with it. I promise, you will never know.

The only reason you'd need to throw out the egg or the rolls is if you just can't stomach the though. Both of perfectly safe to eat.

Can you eat eggs with blood spots?

Eggs with a visible blood spot on the yolk are safe for consumption. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife. Blood or "meat" spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny spots are not harmful and are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. Blood spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Mass candlingmethods reveal most blood spots and those eggs are removed, but even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. If desired, the spot can be removed with the tip of a clean knife prior to cooking. These eggs are safe to eat.

I certainly wouldn't throw away all the eggs. If you're worried about them, just crack them one by one into a small bowl to check them as you need them (you don't need to check them all right now). My mom taught me to always crack eggs into a small separate dish first to avoid this scenario, but of course, I'm too lazy to do that all the time.

I would try to scrape off as much of the yucky egg on the crescent rolls as possible, Maybe even get a wet paper towel & gently wipe. After that I wouldn't worry too much.

When I was on vacation in HI a couple of years ago, we were in a bungalow where we prepared most of our own meals. When making some scrambled eggs, one of the eggs was like this. My SIL just scooped that one out of the other eggs in the pan & we ate them with no ill effects.

Just reminded me as we were watching Red Dwarf last night (again) about the episode where Kryten (a mechanoid) becomes a human and settles to a traditional breakfast:

"Ah, breakfast, my very first meal! Boiled chicken ovulations -- delicious!"

My kids get a kick out of calling eggs that. Eggs can be kind of gross when you really, really think about it. And isn't it odd how most people who eat chicken eggs won't eat other eggs?

But anyway, I agree with the other posters: either ignore the red blob or just scoop it out. No harm.

I got one of these just two days ago. The one I got however, clearly had an organ (looked like a heart) and was rotten. It stunk to high heaven. No one ate that night and I think that it will be a long time before any of my kids eat eggs again. I did wonder how it got through. I have seen ones with blood spots before but nothing like this. By the way, I threw the entire meal away.

Eggs can be kind of gross when you really, really think about it. And isn't it odd how most people who eat chicken eggs won't eat other eggs?

Yep. I was just making chicken stock out of parts & broken bones & such the other night, thinking proudly how far I'd come since first seeing raw meat. Thinking I could, in a few yrs, work up to having my own chickens, etc.

Reality check! :lol: