Menu

If you only had $20 for food...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sweetie. We have been there so many times. We were able to get back on food stamps just yesterday and it takes so much stress of our family. There is nothing better to me than knowing I can buy a piece of fruit.

I read this blog when I need some inspiration. http://www.rebeccablood.net/thriftyo/2007/04/the_organic_thrifty_food_plan_1.html

It really helped me to adjust at how I looked at food and how hard I could be on myself about food. It might not help everyone, but I do enjoy it. I just wished she had kept it up.

I really hope you find some more inspiration and some help.

Although, making soup from leftovers can be cheap, I find that a few bags of ramen and frozen (or canned is good because food banks give those out a lot) or even adding a can of veggies to some condensed soup can be a good meal served with some homemade bread and maybe cheese if you have it.

I just wanted to say that this topic couldn't have come at a better time. I have really learned a lot and especially enjoyed the post about using 1 chicken for multiple meals. I have a chicken in the fridge that I will be doing this with. I also want to 2nd the use of a garden. If you can start from seeds it is even cheaper and you can get sooo much vegetables from them. Then you can can them and use them during the winter.

Heidi,

I just wanted to remind you about freecycle. I know it sounds weird, but I have seen a few posts in my area this week. I think people are really trying to be nice. One person had one of those bags you buy from Food Lion to donate. I have always been overwhelmed by the kindness I've seen from people when I post a want.

We donate a lot through freecycle. This month, we donated; a sofa, loveseat, desk, storage cabinet, smoke detector and a package of unopened Cover Girl powder I would never use.

It's worth a shot.

I found international markets the cheapest place to get dried beans, rice and fresh vegetables. There is a middle eastern market near me that I can by 4 full grocery bags of fresh fruits and veggies for about $25! Asian stores are also great for that as well as fresh fish, rice and noodles.

I found international markets the cheapest place to get dried beans, rice and fresh vegetables. There is a middle eastern market near me that I can by 4 full grocery bags of fresh fruits and veggies for about $25! Asian stores are also great for that as well as fresh fish, rice and noodles.

That's a thought. The nearest international market to me is a bus ride across town.

I know. I always have miserable luck with the local freecycle board, though.

You're asking for food. Every one usually buys food and keeps it. It may take awhile until you get someone that believes that you actually need it. A lot of people can be skeptical when someone comes on the freecycle boards and gives a story about why they need what they need or a sob story.

You're asking for food. Every one usually buys food and keeps it. It may take awhile until you get someone that believes that you actually need it. A lot of people can be skeptical when someone comes on the freecycle boards and gives a story about why they need what they need or a sob story.

I just wanted to mention that it was I who suggested she do this. I have seen two offers of free food on my local freecycle which made me think to suggest to her that she post a wanted post.

I just wanted to mention that it was I who suggested she do this. I have seen two offers of free food on my local freecycle which made me think to suggest to her that she post a wanted post.

Right, I understad that. :001_smile: It was her follow up of that she hasn;t heard anything and doesn't like to wait. Just seems odd. When you are asking for a hand out seems to me you should be at the very least patient.

You know, maybe it's just me but I would be cleaning houses with my children in a playpen if it were the difference between putting food on the table or not. And I have an engineering degree. It would not matter one bit that I were overqualified, or underqualified for that matter.

I don't know your situation and have not read this long thread but I'd suggest you get off your chair and start doing something about your situation instead of waiting for someone to donate something on freecycle.

I'll probably get flamed for this but is there something I am not seeing here? Is there something that is preventing your from providing for your family?

You know, maybe it's just me but I would be cleaning houses with my children in a playpen if it were the difference between putting food on the table or not. And I have an engineering degree. It would not matter one bit that I were overqualified, or underqualified for that matter.

I don't know your situation and have not read this long thread but I'd suggest you get off your chair and start doing something about your situation instead of waiting for someone to donate something on freecycle.

I'll probably get flamed for this but is there something I am not seeing here? Is there something that is preventing your from providing for your family?

Amen!! I couldn't agree more.

People post and ask for food on Freecycle? Our Freecycle group doesn't allow that at all. If someone tries to post they have canned or boxed food, the moderators won't allow the post and tell the person to donate the food to one of the local food pantries.

Our freecycle asks that you not give a detailed reason why you are asking for things. Just put the request out there and if you get it great, if you don't, so be it.

Our freecycle asks that you not give a detailed reason why you are asking for things. Just put the request out there and if you get it great, if you don't, so be it.

Wow, I guess each group has different rules. Our mods say that giving a reason for what you're looking for might get you what you need! LOL Sometimes it's like, who has the best sob story. It gets irritating.

Wow, I guess each group has different rules. Our mods say that giving a reason for what you're looking for might get you what you need! LOL Sometimes it's like, who has the best sob story. It gets irritating.

They started cracking down when some people were trying to furnish their entire house through freecycle. It isn't a letter to Santa Claus people!

Well, people on Freecycle aren't required to give to every Wanted ad. They can pick and choose who they want to give their item to. I guess that's the downside if you're in desperate need and are getting passed by.

Have you exhausted the local churches or food banks in your area? Salvation Army? If you have no income, you'd qualify for food stamps. I'm pretty sure they'd give you a card or check (however it's done in your area) the day you apply.

We have quite a bit of TVP and I'm getting tired of making "meatloaf" and burgers out of it. I'd love some more ideas that don't require a boatload of ingredients to go with it. For those of you who don't drink milk, what can you use in place of it? I priced out almond milk and soy milk and it's about $7 a gallon here. We like milk but it never seems to last very long so I'm wondering what else to do for dairy. Cheese (depending on price) maybe? I'll keep listening and hopefully I'll figure it out. Heidi

Why not buy dried milk? You can drink it of course, but you can use it to add protein to many meals. Reconstitute it and cook your oats in it when you make oatmeal and it will add protein. Use it and a little cheese to make a creamy sauce to top pasta with. Use it to make french toast with your bread and eggs. Sprinkle the cooked toast with a little sugar instead of having syrup. Use the milk to cook rice in, sweeten it a touch, add an egg yolk to the finished dish, and you have a rice pudding dessert or breakfast dish.

Why not buy dried milk? You can drink it of course, but you can use it to add protein to many meals.

Around here powdered milk is significantly more expensive than fresh milk. Powdered milk in bulk (10 lbs or so) is $3.00 a gallon, more if you buy in smaller boxes. Fresh skim milk is only $2.19 a gallon. I know some places fresh is more but not around here.

Around here powdered milk is significantly more expensive than fresh milk. Powdered milk in bulk (10 lbs or so) is $3.00 a gallon, more if you buy in smaller boxes. Fresh skim milk is only $2.19 a gallon. I know some places fresh is more but not around here.

yeah... the only big benefit to having dried milk is it doesn't disappear as quickly as wet milk, even when reconstituted. So if you need milk that won't be gobbled up ASAP, the dried milk might make up for its higher cost just in availability and efficiency. And it won't go bad --you can make up just a little when you need it. But on a low budget, milk is not a #1 priority.

Here's a site that had a few ideas and thoughts on buying food when your income is restricted.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/07/30/16-ways-to-eat-healthy-while-keeping-it-cheap/

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2006/06/01/healthy-food-on-an-unhealthy-budget/

(there's other info on that site that might help as well, poke around it)

Stay positive, don't let others get you down right now. I'm sure there's a lot going on in your life you haven't posted, and it's easy for others to personalize your situation, but your kids are watching you to see if things are ok and you need to stay as positive as you can. Keep reaching out. Don't let anyone stop you from getting what you need for your family.

I haven't had much time to read the boards lately, sorry if I missed anything about you that was previously posted in another thread that I didn't think of before posting.

An update on the freecycle post, the moderator deleted it and said food posts aren't allowed either giving or needing.

I've been hitting the local food pantries but to no avail. I've gotten enough pennies together to contact Angel Food, however. Now I just have to lay in enough other stuff to complement the meat that's in this month's menu.