Menu

OK, DH has asked me to find "the" meatloaf recipe...

The Firehouse Meatloaf recipe I have around here somewhere was from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine. It isn't spicy. The name comes from the recipe's author who was a fireman. I'd type in the recipe, but I can't find it. It seems I googled and found it last time.

Basically, you mix in some Italian sausage (loose or casings removed) with your ground beef, egg, milk, and breadcrumbs. Also mix in some spaghetti sauce. Put 2/3 of the meat mixture in a pan and form a trench down the center. Don't go all the way to the bottom and leave bare pan, though. Put cubed mozzarella in the trench, cover with the remaining meat mixture, and bake. When done, top with more spaghetti sauce and some shredded mozzarella and pop it back in the oven for about 5-10 minutes. This is the BEST meatloaf ever. Ree's garlic roasted mashed potatoes would be great alongside it. (Of course, I'd eat them all by themselves, too:))

12oz bacon, diced

1 large or 2 small onions (depending on taste)

5-6 cloves of garlic, minced (increase or decrease to taste)

8oz crimini mushrooms, chopped rather finely (I like to use another half a package as well, actually)

1lb ground beef or turkey (I don't usually like ground turkey, but it works fine in this)

6oz shredded swiss cheese

Italian seasoning (fresh herbs or dried)

1/2 C milk

1/2 C breadcrumbs or crushed corn flakes

salt and pepper

Sauté the bacon till crisp-but-not-burned, then scoop out with a slotted spoon and allow to drain. Pour off most of the bacon fat and sauté the onions in the same pan till translucent, then add the minced garlic. After another minute, add the mushrooms and sauté. Set aside to cool for a couple of minutes.

Mix the turkey, milk, most of the cheese (reserve a small handful), and the Italian herbs and a bit of salt and pepper. (I assumed the first time that I made this that the bacon and cheese would be salty enough without adding any more. It wasn't -- at least not for me or those at my table.) Then mix in the crumbs and onion/mushroom mix.

Bake at 350 for about an hour, then drain the fat and sprinkle the top with the reserved cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes till cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

(I've always made mine the "traditional" way in a loaf pan, but I'm told that forming it into that shape and placing on a rack in a roasting pan makes for a more pleasantly browned exterior and avoids the need for draining excess fat as one of the steps.)

There are a few varieties that I make and we all love.

1. The basic meat, bread crumbs, egg, and whatever spices you like. But, mix in your favorite salsa -- heavy or light depending on your tastes. You can ad-lib a whole lot with this. Put some "mexican style" cheeses in the middle, etc. We LOVE this one with salsa. I do top it with catsup but you can use salsa instead.

2. The basic meat, onions, eggs, and use oats for the breading and whatever spices you like. Then split the mixture in half. Put half in the pan and flatten. Top with shredded swiss (or whatever you like) and cooked bacon. Put the rest of the meat on top of that. Again, I do top with catsup, but you can do less of that if you like (or nothing!).

3. The basic meat like the one above. Again, split in half. The cheese in the middle is mozzarella. Top with your favorite marinara sauce. Can use some of the sauce in the meat mix if desired too.

These are all tried and true in our house.

4. Oh, I just made one up. Ground turkey, egg, onions, oats, and lots of feta cheese crumbled with a little greek seasoning. Maybe even a little chopped spinach in there. Not tried an true, but I do make turkey burgers with feta and they are awesome!

This Italian is about to go postal... you don't put onions in meatloaf, or mayo or anything but ketchup, spices, benoils(pine nuts), LOTS of garlic, umm crusty bread, bread crumbs, eggs, ummm, spices...

Ketchup and meatloaf belong together. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something illegal.

:):) :) :)

Basically, you mix in some Italian sausage (loose or casings removed) with your ground beef, egg, milk, and breadcrumbs. Also mix in some spaghetti sauce.

Italian sausage in meatloaf, YUMMY. Why have I never stepped outside my bread, egg, meat boring receipe? Although dh does love it, I'll be trying this tomorrow night! I had already pulled the ground beef out to defrost in the fridge. Thanks!

I missed the previous meatloaf thread, but I'd like to share mine. Actually, it's my beloved mil's recipe which she was kind enough to share with me before she passed away. My family loves it (except, of course, for my vegan dd lol).

Cathie's Meatloaf

1 lb. ground beef

1 egg

garlic powder (to taste...I think I use about a teaspoon)

1/4 t. pepper

1t. salt

1/2 t. celery salt

1/4 t. paprika

1 c. milk

1/2 c. bread crumbs (sometimes I use regular, sometimes Italian)

3/4 c. cheese

Mix, press into 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for at least 1 hour (I often bake for 1 1/2 hrs because we like crunchy edges). You can top with additional cheese and BBQ sauce or ketchup 15-30 minutes before done (but I never do).

Lisa

I missed the other thread as well, but here's my favorite meatloaf "recipe." Ingredients are approximate, as I usually just throw stuff in by look.

1 lb. ground beef

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cut rolled oats

3 tbs. brown sugar

1/3 cup ketchup, plus more for the top

1/2 large onion, chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and smoosh in the pan. Spread ketchup on top. Bake at 375 until bubbly.

This is what I do, but I don't have measures; I just throw in what 'looks' right, kwim? This is how my mom always made it and everyone that's tried it loves it.

1 - 1 1/2 pounds ground beef OR ground turkey (either works, it's your preference)

two eggs

rolled oats (regular or old-fashioned) at least 1 cup, maybe more

dash of salt and pepper (to taste)

several squeezes of ketchup (maybe 1/4 cup?)

milk to help mix it all and hold it all together (1/4 cup? or there-about. Maybe start with two tablespoons and work your way up if you need it)

You want to mix it so that it forms a nice ball. Add more oats or milk as needed. Sometimes I add more ketchup instead of more milk as I like that flavor.

I spray Pam in a large casserole dish and form the meat into a loaf in the center. Liberally pour ketchup on the top and spread it all around.

I usually put green beans around the meatloaf (on the bare spots of the casserole dish) like three or four cans, because then I don't have to cook a side dish. The drippings from the meatloaf flavors the green beans.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Enjoy!

Here it goes:

Mix ground turkey or beef with bread crumbs, thyme, Rosemary and your other favorite seasonings, i.e salt, pepper, garlic. I add a little Worcestershire sauce as well and one whole egg.

Hard boil 2-3 eggs (depending on size of loaf).

Once eggs are hard boiled, put a layer of meat in loaf pan, arrange eggs on it lengthwise. Cover eggs completely with remaining meat.

Bake at F 375 for one hour or until done.

When my ds was little he had a friend over and they could not figure out how these eggs ended up inside the meatloaf. I told them it was my secret. LOL

I have only made meatloaf once and it was for someone else. I never tasted it to see if it was any good, but I just saw a Martha Stewart cooking DVD and she had an easy recipe that her mother has always made. I am going to try it this week.

Ingredients

• 2-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 4 slices bread, torn into small pieces
  • 2 carrots, chopped fine
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
  • 2 onions, chopped fine
  • 1/2 cup parsley, chopped fine
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten

Directions

• Mix all ingredients by hand.

• Shape the mixture in a 9-inch by 6-inch pan

• Brush with a glaze made up of:
    1. 2 tablespoons brown sugar

2. 1/2 cup ketchup

3. 1 teaspoon dry mustard

Bake in oven at 375 degrees for about 1 hour or until done.