Menu

It's been one month since. . . .

I quit drinking Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi, and it's largely thanks to someone (don't remember who!) posting about the book, "Sweet Deception". A real eye-opener.

I cannot believe how much better I feel! Gone are the fogs, the brain muddle, the exhaustion. Gone is the incessant craving for one more Diet drink. This is so major - it's been a 5+ year addiction, bad habit, whatever. I never thought this would ever, ever happen.

I'd like to say I've lost weight as a result - I haven't - but darn it I FEEL so much better!

Celebrating on the boards!:party:

:hurray:

I quit diet coke on November 9th. And I felt so great after a month that my dh gave it up too!

I thought that diet coke was giving me energy, but really it was sucking it out of me!

I quit cold turkey. I read somewhere that the best way to quit smoking was when you had a cold, so when I came down with a cold I decided to give up diet coke.:confused: It worked, by the time the cold was gone so were my cravings. My energy levels started to improve while I was still sick. That was big for me - to be sick and realize that I had more energy than when I was healthy drinking diet coke!

I have lost 10 lbs. without dieting. My cravings for sugary items have greatly diminished since I eliminated all fake foods from my diet.

So thanks Hive Mind for convincing me to give up not only aspartame, but also HFCS, trans fats, etc.

-Ann

I, too, have just stopped drinking Diet Coke! I had no clue about a book, though, so I'll go and search that out. I stopped because I was trying to figure out what was triggering my migraines, and that was the last thing I tried. I had NO IDEA that Aspartame was associated (albeit through anecdotal evidence) with so many side effects until I began my trial. Within three days, my brain fog was gone, and I didn't even realize I had it! I thought my "fog" was age, homeschooling pressures, and the ever-hovering headaches. Much to my surprise, I am feeling so much better than I thought I would. I was just hoping to find my migraine trigger. And, I think I did. I've 'been off' Diet Coke for 10 days now, and can't believe the difference in how I feel. Also, oddly, my ankles aren't as puffy as they had been....I had chalked that up to heredity. I guess it was the Aspartame causing that, too. Oddly, I only had a drink with lunch & dinner, and never finished the can, so it's not like I was really overdoing it. I read many posts where the person drank six or more cans a day.

I tried going "cold turkey" last spring (to save the $$$), and I was craving it like a junkie looking for a fix. ALL I thought about from the moment I woke up was "I can't have my Diet Coke today". What I did differently this time was to allow myself one drink at dinner of the "full sugar" version. Since I don't like regular Coke, I drank Sprite, and I've had a few Cherry Cokes. That seemed to really help. When I tried the cold turkey method last spring, I worried about caffeine withdrawal, but had increased my coffee intake, so that wasn't my problem. In hindsight, I believe it was an Aspertame addiction.

Heather, I'm so happy for you! It IS an addiction, so don't be fooled. Sadly, I haven't lost weight like some internet posters said they had, but I'll take my headache-free, fog-free days over taking a few pounds off any day!

Congrats to you, and I'll be hoping for your continued success! :party:

Now, I'm off to search out that book.....

(the other) Heather in Al

That's wonderful!

I have wondered how to quit my diet pepsi addiction without the headaches and grumpiness that accompanies withdrawal. I have decided to switch to cold-brew coffee to help the caffeine thing...I have noticed that my reflux is worse if I've had a lot of soda, and I'm not sleeping as well.

Strangely enough, I also have a cold, so maybe this is the best time to do it, huh? :001_smile:

I'm allergic to corn, so getting off diet drinks means getting off soda altogether. I'm trying to learn to appreciate simpler, un-messed-with foods (i.e., eliminating butter and salt from everything) so the pepsi will have to go too.

Perhaps it will also kick that needing-something-salty/needing-something-sweet/needing-something-salty thing that takes up my evenings.

I'm so glad it's working for you all. This encourages me to try again! :001_smile:

I've been thinking of trying this.

Did you wean gradually or cold turkey?

To tell you the truth -

Just plain old cold turkey. BUT - I will say, that the last two days I had DP, I drank about 4-5 a day, and my stomach was just a MESS. It had never done that before, so that was a big, big incentive.

I have NOT given up caffeine ;) I have a cup of Earl Grey tea in the morning, and another in the afternoon if I'm desperate.

Try it for 2 weeks - like the Heathers! - and see what you think!

Congratulations. I have never been able to drink diet soda because of the aspartame giving me migraines. I used to be a big drinker of regular coke though. I have found though that any carbonated beverages just make me feel sluggish and just blah!. When I was pregnant, I could not drink any carbonated beverages because they made my nausea worse (nausea for me was constant throughout the entire duration of both pregnancies). After I had been off of it for a while and then went back to drinking it, I could really see the effects.

BTW - I did manage to quit smoking when I was really sick once. By the time I felt better, it had been 4 days since I had a cigarette and haven't had one since. That was 10.5 years ago.

I quit drinking Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi, and it's largely thanks to someone (don't remember who!) posting about the book, "Sweet Deception". A real eye-opener.

I cannot believe how much better I feel! Gone are the fogs, the brain muddle, the exhaustion. Gone is the incessant craving for one more Diet drink. This is so major - it's been a 5+ year addiction, bad habit, whatever. I never thought this would ever, ever happen.

I'd like to say I've lost weight as a result - I haven't - but darn it I FEEL so much better!

Celebrating on the boards!:party:

Good for you. I know what you mean about how major this is. I am trying to give it up myself. I know it is a serious addiction. It's TERRIBLE and I HATE how it seems to be able to control me. I feel like I HAVE to have the stuff. It is, for me, way worse than giving up the cigarettes I gave up in my mid-20's. I have heard it likened to a crack addiction. That doesn't really surprise me considering how I feel about having my Diet Coke. That seems hard to believe but honest to God it is very powerful. I have cut back quite a bit lately and I was thinking of buying a case of regular Coke and permitting myself 1 or even 2 a day to get over this initial hump. The other thing that I buy carbonated water and that helps, too.

Congratulations!

I had a Pepsi habit a few years ago. I got sick and as I was starting to feel better Dh brought me a Pepsi. It was such a sweet gesture. I opened the can and took a drink...UGH! It tasted so bad. I tried another can thinking it was just an "off taste" in that can...nope. I quit Pepsi that day.

Now we occasionally have soda, but I am no longer addicted to it. I can't remember if I felt better with out it. Now we generally just drink water.