Menu

A question about food sensitivities...

When Miss Bossy was a baby, I had to stop eating dairy, wheat, nuts and eggs in order to nurse her. She was happier and eat and slept better after about a week, so I think that she really had some food issues.

We eat mostly whole food that we raise and cook from scratch. One night, for someone's birthday, we ordered pizza. Miss Bossy ate 5 pieces, and went on to scream and rage all night without sleeping.

We outlawed pizza, then last week, Dd was eating pizza when we went to pick her up from class. The baby saw her and wanted some. We gave her a piece, and she was having a meltdown before we even got home.

She was screaming for me not to touch her, and just leave her in the car seat in the car. When I got her in the house, she was thrashing around slamming her head on things.

It took me hours to calm her down. Can a food sensitivity happen have an effect that quickly?

I know I've complained about her behavior a lot in the past, but she has really calmed down to be a happy, cooperative little kid most of the time.

Do you think her behavior could be related to food, or am I just grasping at straws?

I believe it 100%.

My daughter reacted to food dyes in a really bad way. She was a total mess behaviorally. Dyes are in a lot of foods. I also believe though that reguarl foods (wheat, dairy) can cause a person to react poorly.

I would suggest a food diary or even go as far as an elimination diet to find out more.

I would say that your daughter's behavior is very likely caused by food issues.

Have your read Doris Rapp's Is This Your Child? It may help you see how real the issues are. Some kids are just super sensitive. Their bodies can't handle certain things, sometimes can't even smell or touch them! It can come out with health issues, academic problems, emotional or behavioral issues, even physical weakness.

It sounds like you have a good idea of what issues she has (since you avoid some things and she's behaving better generally). You might just write down what foods were in the last several hours each time she does have an issue. Or you could try a full elimination diet.

My adopted son had behaviors that looked like attachment disorder (rages/tantrums, sleep issues, aggression, control issues, urinating outside of the bathroom, etc.). We did counseling, therapeutic parenting, etc., and had little success.

Once we removed gluten, dairy, preservatives and artificial colors, his behavior completely changed. Most of the behaviors that we attributed to attachment disorder were gone -- and those that were left were MUCH better. At this point, it's clear to me that a majority of his "attachment" behaviors were food-related.

IMHO, I'd try removing gluten and dairy for a while. Then, add back one or the other, but not both, to see if she's sensitive it. If you get a reaction, go back to no gluten and no dairy for a few weeks, then try with the other ingredient.

HIH,

Lisa

A friend gave my Is This Your Child? because she was here on day when the baby was having a tantrum. I'll reread it.

I don't think dairy or gluten could be the problem, because she eats pizza we make at home every week without problems.

I think her trigger is a dye or a preservative.

Food dye....My ds has terrible reactions to some dyes, especially things like fruit roll-ups or by the foot ...Bad, bad, bad. Don't ignore what you are seeing.

A friend gave my Is This Your Child? because she was here on day when the baby was having a tantrum. I'll reread it.

I don't think dairy or gluten could be the problem, because she eats pizza we make at home every week without problems.

I think her trigger is a dye or a preservative.

My youngest has food sensitivities/allergies... the testing has mostly come back negative, but they say that it can be unreliable at his age. He ends up vomiting to the point of dehydration if he has any dairy. He has a similar reaction to soy, although with soy he also has very painful gas. He tested positive for egg on the skin test but not on the bloodwork. With egg he used to get a rash, last food trial we did he didn't seem to react, but with those test results I don't know what to think know.

It can be so hard when you can't test for what is wrong.

I absolutely believe her behavior could be related to food. One thing you might consider is having her tested for lactose intolerance. If she is lactose intolerant, it could be that she is in pain after eating dairy foods.

Even if she is not, I would listen to your instinct on this and try an elimination diet. My son was oppositional and almost more than I could handle from the time he was 14 months until he was 3. At that point, he went on a gluten free diet and all of our lives have been changed so much for the better because of it. Now, I have a sweet and loving son. Prior to the change in the diet, I didn't know how I was going to be able to get through raising him. I know there are a lot of people who have trouble believing that behaviors can be associated with allergies, but you have to trust what you see in your own child or you can waste a lot of time.

My daughter has chronic problems with her ears to the point where they will just rupture again and again if she has dairy. She doesn't test allergic but she obviously has some sort of reaction to it. It took me a long time to accept that she could not have the dairy because doctors told me she wasn't allergic and my family wasn't supportive. This is a child who had 8 ear ruptures one summer when we put her back on dairy after years of no infections while being dairy free and her symptoms immediately resolve within days once it is removed from her diet. We tried multiple sets of tubes and removed her adenoids and she continued to have pus draining out of her ears all the time. Still, my family wonders if it's really the dairy???

I haven't had time to read all the other posts yet, but I hope you get a lots of encouragement from others. This is an issue that is very near and dear to my heart.

Lisa

We have found pizza to be a major trigger in our sensitive children. It is loaded with yeast, carbs, dairy, and possibly mold (from cheese and mushrooms) even in the purest form. If there are added bits of pepperoni, Canadian bacon, and sausage you've introduced nitrates, nitrites, and who-knows-what. These additives gave one child night terrors. Tomatoes are a trigger for some, too. Pizza is like a time bomb around here. (It still manages to sneak in as a rare treat for the non-sensitive types on their birthdays)