Menu

Anybody in AZ?

We're in the Covenant Homeschool Resource Center in Phoenix, and it is unfortunately, for us, Creationist/Young Earth. The teacher is reasonable, however, and has given my son permission to anwer questions according to our (accepted mainstream science) beliefs.

You aren't too far from Eagleridge, in Mesa. They teach secular science there, and you can take as little as 1 day of classes there.

If you have a 10-year-old (ish) girl, pm me. My daughter's best friend just moved away. :crying: We're in s. Scottsdale.

Have you gone to the yahoo group and tried from there?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/summitview/

If that doesn't work, post again and I will try to find my connections from when I was involved. We moved from AZ to CA about two years ago, but before we left we were in Summit View.

Thank you, but the official word from the listmaster is that Summitview is defunct.

Any other groups covering SE Chandler anyone can suggest? As I mentioned, we're a family of faith using secular curriculum, new to the area and homeschooling (used VA before), 3 kids ages 3-7. Or ideas on finding like-minded folks? DH works Sundays (one car), so missing out on church (for now).

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hello, all!

What's the status of everyone these days? We were able to bring our kids back home this semester and my plan is to keep them here, unless God makes it absolutely, window pane clear :^) that we should do otherwise!

We are in the north valley, North Phoenix, near 7th St and Union Hills. What about you?

WOW! How did I miss this thread?

We are in the Verde Valley, a few minutes south of Sedona.

We moved here from Prescott about 6 years ago. DH & I are both AZ natives (DH-Tucson, me-Phoenix).

With dh & dd's heath we do not have much time for groups. Actually, even if we had time, no one would feel well enough to attend :tongue_smilie:

Hopefully (prayerfully) someday that will change!

Cindy

We're in the Covenant Homeschool Resource Center in Phoenix, and it is unfortunately, for us, Creationist/Young Earth. The teacher is reasonable, however, and has given my son permission to anwer questions according to our (accepted mainstream science) beliefs.

You aren't too far from Eagleridge, in Mesa. They teach secular science there, and you can take as little as 1 day of classes there.

If you have a 10-year-old (ish) girl, pm me. My daughter's best friend just moved away. :crying: We're in s. Scottsdale.

Hi, Misty! :seeya:

I think we may actually attend the same church, but I've never had the pleasure!

We're also in Scottsdale. It's been a learning experience this first year!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a job interview at a Classical Charter school in Phoenix next month. If I get the job, and we decide to move, I may have to look some of you up since we have no family or friends in the area!

Hey, I actually applied to a classical charter school for next year for my kiddos, but they are 91st and 87th in line on the wait list. It may be the same company opening several new schools in the valley. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just went to the AFHE website to check out the convention and was surprised (well maybe not really) that Ken Ham is one of the speakers. In light of recent events, it makes me not want to attend this year. I wish we had other options here in AZ!

I just went to the AFHE website to check out the convention and was surprised (well maybe not really) that Ken Ham is one of the speakers. In light of recent events, it makes me not want to attend this year. I wish we had other options here in AZ!

:iagree:

I'm not going. I just can't. :glare:

• 5 weeks later...
Ok, it's definite, we're moving to the Phoenix area in 2 weeks! We'll actually be in Laveen, so if anyone wants to share any great groups in the Phoenix area (we're willing to travel) or any resources like doctors, piano lessons, etc. please pm me.

Hope to meet some of you soon!

Amy

I live in Laveen as well, although I have a son (5) - probably not your daughter's first choice of friend. :)

Anyone have any success recently contacting Summitview?

I'm new to SE Chandler and looking for some other homeschooling families. We are a family of faith, but don't like creationism in our science, which tends to push us secular. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you and I have at least some of the same issues with typical Homeschool science curricula. I had almost reached the point of just writing my own when I accidentally ran into Bernie Nebel's program (my ecology professor from Gordon College was his co-author for an Environmental Science text). We're starting it this year. I love his approach, the books are inexpensive ($30 each, and they cover approximately 3 years on average), and he provides free and ongoing support via Yahoo! Groups.

I live in Laveen, but we used to live in Chandler - many of our family's care providers are still there.

I noticed that too, but wasn't willing to work around it when my background already makes me a much better math and science resource than the teachers at Covenant. I was hoping to find activities for DS5 there, but ended up deciding the offerings just didn't suit us. Perhaps when he's older we'll be able to take advantage of the programs they offer. I'm very impressed that they're so reasonable - I wouldn't have expected that.

I just did a quick Google search. I had heard of him, but didn't remember the name. Oddly enough we're using Peter Enn's bible curriculum. Interesting. We'll probably still go, but I will not be attending any of his sessions.

Is the creationist/young-earth viewpoint predominant with AFHE?

• 1 year later...

Yes, Avondale is very close - we do a lot of our shopping in that area.

No, even though we're Christian I've shied away from most of the Christian homeschool groups because it seems like they're all young earth/creationist in outlook - we're not. I teach college biology, and I've studied numerous other sciences and have reached different conclusions. I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me, but I'm tired of arguing with people who think that single topic defines what it means to be Christian. It seems like there's always one who gets militant about it. As a result, I tend to gravitate towards secular homeschooling, although we use all of the curricula from Peace Hill Press (including the Telling God's Story series by Peter Enns).

For the record, I do believe God created everything, I just don't reject evolution and the scientifically established age of the universe as His methods. In the long run, I don't think it matters what we believe happened, as long as we give Him the credit.

Yes, Avondale is very close - we do a lot of our shopping in that area.

No, even though we're Christian I've shied away from most of the Christian homeschool groups because it seems like they're all young earth/creationist in outlook - we're not. I teach college biology, and I've studied numerous other sciences and have reached different conclusions. I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me, but I'm tired of arguing with people who think that single topic defines what it means to be Christian. It seems like there's always one who gets militant about it. As a result, I tend to gravitate towards secular homeschooling, although we use all of the curricula from Peace Hill Press (including the Telling God's Story series by Peter Enns).

For the record, I do believe God created everything, I just don't reject evolution and the scientifically established age of the universe as His methods. In the long run, I don't think it matters what we believe happened, as long as we give Him the credit.

We are atheists and the group treats us and our crazy old earth beliefs very well, despite a majority having the opposite perspective. It's an easy subject to avoid - we just don't do science co-ops together very often! :)

I suspect we'd get along fine where science is concerned. I'm not an atheist by any means, but agnostic christian is a pretty good fit. For me science and faith are complimentary, like two sides of a coin - they both provide answers, but not to the same questions. If it can be demonstrated by science there is no faith involved - but it doesn't mean they're incompatible, either.

You might want to look into the science program I'm using - it's written by Bernard Nebel, and the first book is called "Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding." Dr. Nebel is a Christian, but the curriculum is neither overtly nor covertly Christian. It's thorough, and as the title indicates, it focuses on learning to think like a scientist rather than focusing on learning a bunch of facts (a common failing of many science curricula at the elementary level). He's put a lot of effort into keeping the material costs down, and only a few items cost much (and those are used a lot throughout the entire curriculum, not just in a couple experiments). For example, you'll need a decent microscope (not the garbage you find at Toys R' Us, or even Lakeshore), and a triple beam balance - both of which can apparently be sold for almost as much as you paid if you take good care of them. Off-hand, those are the only two expensive items I can remember. The rest are mostly either inexpensive or homemade from stuff you find around the house.

Nevermind, I just realized his age is in your siggy. Nebel's science stuff says K-8, but most people use it all the way through high school. I'll be using it until high school, but my son is very math and science oriented, even at the tender age of 6.

What are you using for science?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Pattycat

Hello. We are definitely leaving California and are considering Arizona (Phoenix,Chandler,Gilbert) areas. I have a 13 yr old son who is very talented in baseball and would like to play high school ball without attending public school. He will be a 9th grader in the fall. Is that a possibility in AZ? He was going to play for a private christian highschool and continue to be homeschooled but coming under the school umbrella if we were staying. I am also interested in finding and researching travel baseball teams in the area. Any moms of baseball athletes on this board?

Thanks,

Patty

My 14 yo ds plays baseball. Homeschoolers are allowed to play with the local high schools. The kids just have to try out for the team and keep up with any requirements the school might have such as grade levels. My ds is playing with one high school now. There are some Little Leagues in the area with good Junior and Senior level teams. There are plenty of club ball teams as well. Some club ball teams take a break during Little League season and play for a local League. My dh would know better than me which ones are good. You can find good instruction for batting and pitching among retired major league players and current MLB coaches in the area too.

• 3 weeks later...

We're in Central Phoenix and have been home schooling since 2009. We've participated in...

AZ Sportx Kids in Avondale: It's a PE group that meets once or twice a week over in Friendly Park. I really liked the program. We attended for a year, but stopped because I needed to work.

Covenent HS co-op: My daughter took Science, Spanish and Art classes there. The classes were nice, but the time between classes was not good for us.

Calvary Chapel Tuesdays: They have a women's bible study on Tuesday at their location just off of hwy 17. Kids attend classes while the adults are in bible study. This was good for socialization. My daughter needed it at the time. I am considering attending it again this year.

Az Charter School Conference: I love it. We have a great time every year. The sessions helped build my confidence to homeschool when we started out. We were YEC before deciding to homeschool so this fit us.

• 3 weeks later...