Menu

What do you put on your timeline?

How do you use your timeline?  

1. 1. How do you use your timeline?

• I put pictures of people on it.
    • The kids put pictures of people on it.
    • I only write text, names, dates on it.
    • The kids put only text, names, dates on it.
    • I put symbols or stickers on it.
    • The kids put symbols or stickers on it.
    • alternative or further options

This is what we would do if I remembered to do it.

1) Pull off figures from each chapter that we study in SoTW from Amy's Home School in the Woods CD and put a bunch of them on a page (picture only, no text.)

2) At the end of the week pull out the sheet, hve the kids select which one's they will paste on the time-line. This is a rare and popular activity, so if there is a dispute they can't settle, I settle it by reminding them that the stickster has to write a pithy one sentence summary of the event or person in question.

3) The lucky child sticks his picture in the time-line book and scrawls something illegible.

Edited by Alana in Canada

I'm never sure if I should be drawing little men in togas and silver armor, or writing a name, or letting the kids do it.

I've given over the timeline to ds to do with as he wishes. I used to write in dates (or have him do it), and have used those printable stickers in the past, but those are not the things that resonate with ds.

Currently, the timeline holds a mish-mash of dates written in a variety of colours and various little drawings that also appear to be colour-coded. I do not understand his system, but then, it is not my timeline.

The point is that, HE understands it, and he remembers what the colours and pictures and dates mean to him. He can discuss events in relation to each other and the timeline. It took him a while to "discover" his system, but once he did, he insisted on re-doing the timeline to reflect it. I don't mind. It's just butcher paper on the wall, so he can re-do it as long as I can get more paper. :001_smile:

Other

We use Hannah's pictures interspersed with our own from yahoo images (same thing as google, but our filter wouldn't let us do google images, for some weird reason).

We choose them together, and I write something below the picture. Next year, dd will write the date, the title, and maybe a few facts. She normally saves the facts/details for her notebook entries and keeps the timeline simple.

The line is down the middle, vertically. Below the line we put address label stickers with dates and relevant info on it. Mostly I write, but sometimes my son writes. Above we do pictures. My son draws well, and has done several drawings. And we've printed some off of the internet.

My kids are still little, so pictures with captions work for us. We are lucky enough to have a really long back hall where all the doors are on one side, and solid blank wall on the other. So we stretched an entire timeline (I forget what company it was from), laminated, all down the hall, at the kids' level.

We've got family birthdays and special things like Jesus' birthday marked, and then we add stuff for the school year (like Olympic trivia and stuff that goes with our FIAR studies). Pictures mostly, from clip art here and there. I will say, the twentieth and twenty-first century seem to get crowded really quick.

Under it we've got our U.S. and world maps for our FIAR picture disks.

When they're older, a big notebook for each of them would be nice.

All of the above. We put pictures with text explaining who they are and why they're on the timeline.

This is what we do too. Dd does all the cutting and putting on of the pictures. I photo-copy them. We have Homeschool in the Woods Timeline figures, but I'm using the ones in SOTW4 since that is our text for the year.:)