Menu

Kitten help

We got a kitten in Dec. from the pound.

She has horrible gas and has smelly poop.

Her poop has a diarrhea smell to it...it's not runny, but it isn't firm(TMI!!).

Of course it smells right after she comes out, but it lingers for awhile!

She LOVES to eat..she will eat her food(Sophistacat), then eat the dogs food...I do not leave food down, she will eat with the dogs after she has gobbled up hers.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I would change the cat food. Cats should not have corn or other grains...look on the label. Is there corn? Meat by-products?

Look at Natural Balance or Wellness foods...they cost more, but they are grain-free (or they use fewer, milder grains and are better for kitty) and the cats actually eat less. Changing to a premium food can make a huge difference in the smell...and the health of the cat.

Personally, I make my own kitty food...my kitten had chronic diarrhea and nothing, not even the good foods, seemed to help. I started making my own food following a fantastic vet-approved book http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Pet-Diet-Eight-Health/dp/1587612712/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233005872&sr=8-11

If you follow the cat food recipe, omit the garlic. New research has shown that onions and garlic can cause problems for cats.

I find it much cheaper to make my own cat food. I freeze it in mason jars.

Ria

First, have a stool sample checked. There could be intestinaly parasites or a protozoan parasite such as giardia. Coccidia could be a problem as well.

If those come back fine, then a diet change might be in order.

Def. do not let her eat the dog food. Pick that up when the dog is done. 15 minutes down twice a day if fine, or 3 times a day.

Good luck.

First, have a stool sample checked. There could be intestinaly parasites or a protozoan parasite such as giardia. Coccidia could be a problem as well.

If those come back fine, then a diet change might be in order.

Def. do not let her eat the dog food. Pick that up when the dog is done. 15 minutes down twice a day if fine, or 3 times a day.

Good luck.

I second the fecal exam! Parasites are all too common in kittens and you live in Georgia...a parasite's paradise! (I worked there for a year so I know :D)

And no dog food. Cats need taurine and most dog foods won't have it. If cats get a taurine deficiency it can lead to a cardiomyopathy.

Ditto everything that's been said so far. Start with the fecal exam/worming and then change the food. Kittens have notoriously sensitive tummies. I discovered (the hard way) that even cat food formulated for adult cats can, in kittens, cause the same symptoms you're describing. Swapped to nice, special kitten food, and it got all better! You may have to feed the kitten at a different time than the dogs and put her elsewhere when the dogs eat so that she doesn't get into their food. Good luck and congrats on the new kittygirl! I heart cats ;)

If you change to a dry kitten food, such as Iams or Science Diet, you will not have such problems....

Maybe, though I don't think these foods are that great, but the trade off with any kibble food for cats is a higher risk of kidney problems & diabetes.

I really think the op needs to r/o worms before anything else & get the kitten in to the vet for an exam & a fecal float.

many years ago we had a precious little Persian kitten with diarrhea die. She went down very quickly. And that poop did smell awful. We still feel terrible for not acting sooner. Now, any newly acquired new cats are taken to a vet for a thorough exam even if they appear completely healthy.

I hope your kitty gets better very soon! Personally, I would also very carefully syringe feed her extra water. I think small animals get dehydrated very quickly.

:grouphug:

Cindy