Menu

Where can I find this...

When I first started researching homeschooling I was told that despite perceptions parents are legally responsible for their children's education. As proof I was told that parents can't sue the public schools for having failed to teach their kids. Ultimately its the parents' fault.

Now, I believe it is our responsibility and not the state's, but is there a law or something I can cite?

I would love to have a reference to quote when I am in discussions with folks who think homeschooling is dangerous, weird, or simply not my job!

Thanks,

Soph

I'd love to see something in writing...

When I first started researching homeschooling I was told that despite perceptions parents are legally responsible for their children's education. As proof I was told that parents can't sue the public schools for having failed to teach their kids. Ultimately its the parents' fault.

Now, I believe it is our responsibility and not the state's, but is there a law or something I can cite?

I would love to have a reference to quote when I am in discussions with folks who think homeschooling is dangerous, weird, or simply not my job!

Thanks,

Soph

Edited by Tammyla

in NY, you can be prosecuted for educational neglect.

I imagine that's the case just about anywhere, even here in TX [altho the burden of proof would have to be phenomenal....]

in fact since I AM the one legally responsible, it serves even more to demand that i be unencumbered to do my job the way it best suits my family :D

I'm am guessing this is a "negative" thing. There is no law explicitly stating that its the parents' sole responsibility to educate their children, but I bet most of the states have a mandate to "provide" a free education to everyone.

How, then, can we have truancy police? Why do the states think they can regulate homeschooling at all??? How did it move from a public offer of service to a mandatory requirement???? Hmph.

Still if there is any legal precedent. I'd like to find it.

Soph the Vet: Sorry about hijacking your name! What is the etiquette? Should I change mine?

I'm am guessing this is a "negative" thing. There is no law explicitly stating that its the parents' sole responsibility to educate their children, but I bet most of the states have a mandate to "provide" a free education to everyone.

How, then, can we have truancy police? Why do the states think they can regulate homeschooling at all??? How did it move from a public offer of service to a mandatory requirement???? Hmph.

Still if there is any legal precedent. I'd like to find it.

Soph the Vet: Sorry about hijacking your name! What is the etiquette? Should I change mine?

How about if you change yours to "Soph the _________" fill in the blank as you wish so we don't get confused! Or just leave it and make sure all your posts are extremely polite, helpful, and morally responsible:lol: in case we get confused!!

The law states that every child must be given the opportunity for education: this is the "compulsory education" law in each state. Either the parent agrees by contract [enrolling kids in school] to make sure the child GETS to said educational place, or opts to teach at home [homeschooling: not regulated in TX, file paperwork if state requires it]. If they deny the child the opportunity to GET to said place of education --either by keeping them home or not teaching at home when they should be-- then the truancy officers step in to find out why the child's opportunity for education is being deprived. Open Investigation.

The mandate per the Supreme Court [who knows the case??] is that the state has a "compelling interest" in the education of its citizens. Thus the open door for regulating homeschools and private schools.

hth!

I was thinking it's not excatly easy to just change your name, is it? gotta do another account and all that? or am i wrong?

Might I suggest simply clarifying who you are --and are not-- in your sig line?

maybe y'all can use different fonts or colors in your sig lines to help distinguish each: they're both fairly plain and similar right now....

maybe "Another Soph --NOT the Vet :D"

Edited by Peek a Boo

I know in FL if you are not homeschooling, it is not only your responsibility to make sure your child goes to school, it is your responsibilty to make sure he stays there. My eldest left school premises during school hours and then got arrested. I was told that the school was not responsible for keeping him there. Instead it was my responsiblity to make sure that he both arrived at school and stayed there.