Menu

Sequal books to Eragon...

Someone told me (who had not read the Eragon books) that there were some things in the sequal books that were inappropriate. Can anyone fill me in on what this would be? I know that it is a little violent, but they were talking about attitudes towards sex without marriage? Has anyone read these that could let me know a little more about that. DS liked the first book, but I don't really wanting him reading those topics at his age. Thanks!

Someone told me (who had not read the Eragon books) that there were some things in the sequel books that were inappropriate. Can anyone fill me in on what this would be? I know that it is a little violent, but they were talking about attitudes towards sex without marriage? Has anyone read these that could let me know a little more about that. DS liked the first book, but I don't really wanting him reading those topics at his age. Thanks!

hmmmm... Two characters do have sex before marriage. It's merely sort of a fade-to-black scene - and in later chapters, she learns she's pregnant - I actually missed it reading it the first time. They get married as soon as they can afterward (they were already engaged).

The second book (Eldest) is heavily devoted to war and battle scenes. Some get quite descriptive.

My biggest red-flag warning would be for the third book (Brisingr). There are two extremely disturbing chapters in this book. I won't let my daughter even start this series now, until she's at least 15 or 16 (I'll gauge her maturity level) -and I might not even recommend that she read them at all at this point (or I might just suggest she read only the first book and imagine her own ending for the series, lol)!

The first chapter of Brisingr is devoted to a very (VERY) disturbing, grotesque, repulsive, violent cult scene. Completely disgusting and NOT even neccessary to the plot (we already knew these guys were "the bad guys" - the graphic scenes were not needed at all). I had to stop reading and have my dh read the whole book and give me the warnings about what I shouldn't read! :001_huh:

The other chapter is one where one character is basically trying to prove how "tough" she is and both characters self-mutilate with knives until the one gives up (or dies, I don't know - dh told me not to read it - just gave me enough information to carry along the plot). I cannot stomach self-injury in any way and this turns my stomach just to think about it. blech.

There are characters who can not be killed except to behead them - and that's ... well... yuck. right?

I really enjoyed Eragon and Eldest and the gory violence of the third book really turned me off the entire series. It just seemed like lazy writing for the shock value - because none of that was really necessary for the plot to move forward, imho.

And this opinion comes from someone who loves to read fantasy, sci-fi books - if that helps. :)

this is a series I think you'd want to pre-read for any kid under the age of 14. For some it will be okay, for others, not.

In addition to some violence and one(?) case of premarital relations, there are heavy doses of spell-casting and incantations throughout. That gave me more pause than either the violence or adult activities. I put these books into the hands of my well-grounded oldest son , I think he was 12 when the first came out, but only after pre-reading and noting some items to discuss first. He's a pretty mature guy - my other kids won't see them until age 14, at least.

Someone told me (who had not read the Eragon books) that there were some things in the sequal books that were inappropriate. Can anyone fill me in on what this would be? I know that it is a little violent, but they were talking about attitudes towards sex without marriage? Has anyone read these that could let me know a little more about that. DS liked the first book, but I don't really wanting him reading those topics at his age. Thanks!

Why do people do this?

I had someone (who hadn't seen the movie) tell me there were gay penguins in Happy Feet. I believed her b/c I didn't know she hadn't seen it.

The so called premarital sex is mentioned in this way: We need to have to have the wedding soon, in order to save her honor Not a direct quote, but pretty close to what it says in the book. There are no details or anything like that, and it itsn't dwelled on. The violence in the books is probably equivalent to LOTR. I would be fine w/ a 10 yr. old reading it. Ds (12) and dh and I have read all 3. hth

The so called premarital sex is mentioned in this way: We need to have to have the wedding soon, in order to save her honor Not a direct quote, but pretty close to what it says in the book. There are no details or anything like that, and it isn't dwelled on. The violence in the books is probably equivalent to LOTR. I would be fine w/ a 10 yr. old reading it. Ds (12) and dh and I have read all 3. hth

I was thinking... now where did they talk about having sex in the book? And what is written in the quote above is exactly it. It was very casual and not descriptive of the act itself, but wanting to look out for the honor of the one he loves.

I agree with the violence comment as well! We loved all 3 books so far and can't wait for #4. :) I have children aged 8 to 13 and we listen to them on audio as well as have book copies. My 8 year old got bits and pieces of the book while we listened to it in the car. My 9 year old dd could care less for them and would much rather read horse books, etc. But the two older children enjoy this series immensely.

Why do people do this?

I had someone (who hadn't seen the movie) tell me there were gay penguins in Happy Feet. I believed her b/c I didn't know she hadn't seen it.

I have a problem with this, too (people passing on information based on NO fact or personal experience). I once read a book review in our local newspaper where the reviewer really trashed the book (which I had read and enjoyed). Then, towards the end of the article, he states that he hasn't actually gotten more than 1/3 of the way through the book "so I'm not sure if I'll change my opinion".

HUH???

Sorry, but last I knew, you had to actually READ a book to be able to accurately review it. This is Erie, PA, though, so almost anything dumb gets in our local paper, complete with misspellings and grammatical errors. I just couldn't believe the article would have even been printed in the first place. That would be libel if it were anything other than a review, which by its very nature is an opinion.

Sigh.

Why do people do this?

In defense of the person who told me this. She asked if I had read the books (she saw my son reading the first one) and I said No. She knows that I am fairly conservative about books and she passed along what she had heard with the caviat that she hadn't read them and was planning on reading them before she let her son read them. She told me that she was passing along second hand info and didn't really know what was in the books, and so I would have to judge for myself. I was glad for the heads-up because I didn't even know there were issues with these books before that. I'm going to read book #2 myself and then I'll decide.

hmmmm... Two characters do have sex before marriage. It's merely sort of a fade-to-black scene - and in later chapters, she learns she's pregnant - I actually missed it reading it the first time. They get married as soon as they can afterward (they were already engaged).

The second book (Eldest) is heavily devoted to war and battle scenes. Some get quite descriptive.

My biggest red-flag warning would be for the third book (Brisingr). There are two extremely disturbing chapters in this book. I won't let my daughter even start this series now, until she's at least 15 or 16 (I'll gauge her maturity level) -and I might not even recommend that she read them at all at this point (or I might just suggest she read only the first book and imagine her own ending for the series, lol)!

The first chapter of Brisingr is devoted to a very (VERY) disturbing, grotesque, repulsive, violent cult scene. Completely disgusting and NOT even neccessary to the plot (we already knew these guys were "the bad guys" - the graphic scenes were not needed at all). I had to stop reading and have my dh read the whole book and give me the warnings about what I shouldn't read! :001_huh:

The other chapter is one where one character is basically trying to prove how "tough" she is and both characters self-mutilate with knives until the one gives up (or dies, I don't know - dh told me not to read it - just gave me enough information to carry along the plot). I cannot stomach self-injury in any way and this turns my stomach just to think about it. blech.

There are characters who can not be killed except to behead them - and that's ... well... yuck. right?

I really enjoyed Eragon and Eldest and the gory violence of the third book really turned me off the entire series. It just seemed like lazy writing for the shock value - because none of that was really necessary for the plot to move forward, imho.

And this opinion comes from someone who loves to read fantasy, sci-fi books - if that helps. :)

I asked my dd15, why she didn't mention these parts to me when her brother asked to read the book. She said she skimmed them, because she doesn't like violence! I'm not sure ds has that ability, or being male the desire to skim the bad parts, so I think he might wait a bit to read them. (BTW I noticed this tactic was used by all the girls in my great books class when we read The Iliad!)

I believe the inappropriate relations before marriage scene was in Book 2 Eldest. It was along the lines of the girl walking into the bedroom, some mention of soft skin and giving herself to him, maybe even lying in bed together. It was no more than a page or two. In Book 3 Brisingr is when they mention him wanting to protect her honor because she is now pregnant. It has been a while since I read Book 2, but I do remember that scene. I read Book 3 just last month, it is fresh in my mind. I do not mind the violence or the magic. Strange, I guess, for a very conservative Christian. Fantasy is my favorite genre. I believe, if my memory serves, that there are hints about relations when he is among the elves in Book 2. They have some sort of celebration and it is kind of talked about as a "fertile" time or some such thing. That's about all I can remember now.

I, too, have been caught up in "don't read/watch this." We didn't watch Happy Feet, but not because of gay penguins, because of the song lyrics the penguins danced to, but now I wonder if it really was bad. I recently read Harry Potter and was surprised at all the hype it had received.

WTMindy, I know you didn't ask, but if your ds likes that type of genre that Eragon is, there are books called the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede that is a fun read and has dragons. Dd and her friends (though a little older) have also enjoyed the Dragons in our Midst Series by Bryan Davis. I have not read all of these yet, but the first one was very good.

I asked my dd15, why she didn't mention these parts to me when her brother asked to read the book. She said she skimmed them, because she doesn't like violence! I'm not sure ds has that ability, or being male the desire to skim the bad parts, so I think he might wait a bit to read them. (BTW I noticed this tactic was used by all the girls in my great books class when we read The Iliad!)

I tried to skim it, but wasn't sure if some of it might contribute to the plot later on, so I tried to battle through. Finally gave up - had dh read it for me -and he assured me I could skip a full two chapters (!!) without losing any of the plot. lol

I do skim past violence in several other books. One of my favorite series is the Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin and there are a quite a few violent scenes. BUT those don't bother me for a variety of reasons:

1) The Ice & Fire books were NEVER marketed to children. The Eragon books were.

2) You really can "skim" past the sections in the Ice and Fire (and similar books) because they rarely devote an entire chapter to total gore. blech. lol

I'm a softie when it comes to self-mutilation, though. It's something I just. cannot. stomach. in any way whatsoever. I'll take a good, old-fashioned battle scene any day of the week. But, when it comes to self-harm, I just can't deal with it. I also "live" the books as I read them (always have) and become very emotionally involved in the books, so I probably "feel" it more than other people might.

I still hold to the theory that my kids won't start this series til they're at least 15. If they make it to the 3rd book, I'll probably suggest they skip those chapters. :lol:

I believe the inappropriate relations before marriage scene was in Book 2 Eldest. It was along the lines of the girl walking into the bedroom, some mention of soft skin and giving herself to him, maybe even lying in bed together. It was no more than a page or two. In Book 3 Brisingr is when they mention him wanting to protect her honor because she is now pregnant. It has been a while since I read Book 2, but I do remember that scene. I read Book 3 just last month, it is fresh in my mind. I do not mind the violence or the magic. Strange, I guess, for a very conservative Christian. Fantasy is my favorite genre. I believe, if my memory serves, that there are hints about relations when he is among the elves in Book 2. They have some sort of celebration and it is kind of talked about as a "fertile" time or some such thing. That's about all I can remember now.

I, too, have been caught up in "don't read/watch this." We didn't watch Happy Feet, but not because of gay penguins, because of the song lyrics the penguins danced to, but now I wonder if it really was bad. I recently read Harry Potter and was surprised at all the hype it had received.

WTMindy, I know you didn't ask, but if your ds likes that type of genre that Eragon is, there are books called the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede that is a fun read and has dragons. Dd and her friends (though a little older) have also enjoyed the Dragons in our Midst Series by Bryan Davis. I have not read all of these yet, but the first one was very good.

Thanks for the suggestions, Angel.