Menu

Feminine topic

After giving birth 10 years ago my bladder dropped and doc said it would either go back up post-partum or we'd tie it up later. Well, it did go back remarkably fast. But now, 10 years later, it's back and much worse. I spoke with my gyn and she confirmed prolapse. I expected this when I was 60 or 70 but not at 40! She referred me for pt but there's 2-month waiting list.

Has anyone here had the surgery? Any pain after the surgery? Anyone living with a prolapse? I am feeling very stressed! It's still internal but I can feel it and it seems it's been getting worse.

:grouphug:

My mother had surgery for hers while in her early 40s.

I don't know how much pain she was in but I know she was off work for awhile.

Sorry I can't offer more on the subject.

I hope your stress goes away and all will go well.

:grouphug:

My mom has had surgery for this...twice. Both times it failed very quickly. I think the docs might be using some type of mesh these days...I'd ask about that. When my mom had it done, they just sutured some pieces together and hoped for the best.

Please let us know what you find out...I'll be in the same boat at some point, as well.

Ria

I hope someone answers! I almost asked about this surgery yesterday...I was reading about the method where they make a v*ginal incision to access the bladder and it's slightly less recovery time. Are you suffering from mainly stress incontinence where you leak if you sneeze or lift something heavy, etc? (Sorry!)

My stress incontinence has gotten better since having our 6th but I just can't "hold it" long enough--for example, I'm trying to run on the treadmill, which I know is probably terrible for my poor sagging bladder (LOL) and I can't last much longer than 40 min. before I think I'm going to pee my pants! Ugh and *sigh* I don't know if this is treatable by the lift or not...

Anyhow, you're not alone and I hope someone here can help us with some info!

I'm 46 and starting to have problems with uterine prolapse, although I don't think it's affecting my bladder. My mom has been through a hysterectomy and another repair and both eventually failed, so I'm not really anxious to go the surgical route if I can help it.

I've been looking at the info and forums on this website, because they think there are non-surgical alternatives having to do with posture and exercise. I want to order the author's book as soon as I can and see if any of this seems doable. The thought of having to get another surgery every 5 to 10 years is depressing.

So tell me how this (and uterine prolapse) feels different then maybe just a...um, sagging vagina? lol! I am 18 months over due for my midwife exam, never had a pp visit since dd, and ever since the birth it's felt....different. I thought maybe it was- saggy?! OK hijack over.

So tell me how this (and uterine prolapse) feels different then maybe just a...um, sagging vagina? lol! I am 18 months over due for my midwife exam, never had a pp visit since dd, and ever since the birth it's felt....different. I thought maybe it was- saggy?! OK hijack over.

Well, for me it feels like I have a tampon inserted and it's in there a little bit wrong. But, for me, it only feels like that around ovulation. I guess the uterus pulls back up a little after ovulation and so it doesn't feel like it's right there. I also have back pain around that time of the month and feel generally like things are not where they should be...it's hard to describe it any better than that, I'm sorry!

My first clue that something was wrong, or what should have been my first clue, was that ever since my first child was born pap smears have been very difficult because my uterus is tilted/retroverted. The doc would just say, "Oh, you have a retroverted uterus." so I sort of assumed it was normal for me. But apparently it's one of the first signs of prolapse.

at stage 2. It progressed to stage 2 suddenly. One day I felt fine - the next day I felt as though I had a tampon inserted as well as some heaviness/pressure toward the end of the day. If I check things in the shower I can feel a bulge just inside. No incontinence or other symptoms.

My gyn referred me to a physical therapist who specializes in this sort of thing but she says its only sometimes helpful at stage 2 and not at all helpful at stage 3.

I'm just trying to prepare myself for what the surgery may be like. I've heard about the mesh and I don't think that's necessarily a good idea because of some people's reaction to the mesh.

I wasn't sure if anyone here had any experience so I thought I'd ask.

Actually, around 40 is when many women start to experience problems (or re-experience them if they had resolved.) The connective tissues that support the organs (bladder, uterus, rectum, etc) are kept strong by estrogen. Sometimes childbirth (especially aggressively managed births) can damage the connective tissue. While the other tissues take up the slack so to speak, when estrogen levels drop, they just don't do as good a job.

I have struggled with many pelvic floor problems since my first child was born (10 lb. 11 oz baby - aggressively managed birth). I got a lot of help from a physical therapist who specialized in pelvic floor issues. That would be my first suggestion.

I had a TVT bladder suspension 5 years ago. While it did cure the stress incontinence, it did exacerbate the urge incontinence issues. I probably need more therapy, but the PT I had used before had moved away. The PT they assigned me was useless. I do know that some people experience pain if things are lifted too much.

ETA:

There is a yahoo group Healthypelvicfloor where you can ask questions and read people stories.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
more info

I've never heard of what you mentioned above. With a prolapsed bladder, the bladder can press on the vaginal wall so much that it actually protrudes from the vagina. It can be pretty bad.

Ria

I've never heard of what you mentioned above. With a prolapsed bladder, the bladder can press on the vaginal wall so much that it actually protrudes from the vagina. It can be pretty bad.

Ria

OK time for me to stop avoiding the OB I guess- see I was hoping mine was just loose or something. Of course if it is connected to estrogen it doesn't help that I am 18 months pp with no pp period back yet- my estrogen has been low for over two years! But my vagina does feel.....lumpy, inside. Saggy like. I've been trying to ignore it but now it's freaking me out!

OK time for me to stop avoiding the OB I guess- see I was hoping mine was just loose or something. Of course if it is connected to estrogen it doesn't help that I am 18 months pp with no pp period back yet- my estrogen has been low for over two years! But my vagina does feel.....lumpy, inside. Saggy like. I've been trying to ignore it but now it's freaking me out!

Lumpy inside could be a cystocyle (prolapsed bladder) or a rectocyle (prolapsed rectum). Google them and read. Both are very common in women who have had multiple kids. The good news is, neither is going to hurt you, and there is corrective surgery for each. The bad news is, they can be annoying. Don't be scared, though. These things happen.

Ria

Has anyone here had the surgery? Any pain after the surgery? Anyone living with a prolapse? I am feeling very stressed! It's still internal but I can feel it and it seems it's been getting worse.

I had it before even having my first child. Things started sinking in the mid 30's. Things sank more in my later 40's. Then, after squatting and cleaning under all the sinks in my house, I had sudden, terrible pain. After 4 days of bed rest, the pain was gone as long as I was in bed. It took two weeks to start to hobble around and nearly 4 to get the surgery.

Recovery was small potatoes compared to a sudden prolapse. I was expecting more sinking and some incontinence, for Pete's sake. I didn't get the incontinence, just the pain of something yanking my urethra every time I stood up. Imagine UTI and cramps at the same time.

Get a good pair of surgeons (I had an anterior repair and a sling at the same time). It sounds frightful, but I was grateful to have my joie de vivre back.