Menu

Looking for your favorite books about homeschooling.

My friend is almost positive she will be homeschooling in son in the next year or so and has asked for my help.

Besides WTM, what are some other good books? I really don't think she's the classical type, but I might be wrong.

So, I'm looking for unschooling or eclectic or ?.

Thanks so much, ladies and gents. :)

Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School by Rebecca Rupp.

That, plus The Well-Trained Mind, are my favorites. You don't have to be a classical homeschooler to find TWTM of value. I've enjoyed everything I've bought recommended by SWB, and we're eclectic homeschoolers.

The only other homeschool book I own is The Complete Home Learning Source Book: The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers, Parents, and Educators Covering Every Subject from Arithmetic to Zoology also by Rebecca Rupp.

Debra Bell's book is from a Christian perspective, and she's a Penn. resident, so she comes from a more rigorous reporting environment than most, but she gives a lot of good advice and resource lists.

Cathy Duffy's guides are good for figuring out learning styles and curriculum choices, again from a Christian perspective.

The Patchwork of Days (?) is a book with all kinds of different homeschooling families and how they make it work for them.

The only homeschooling-related book I routinely recommend is "Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense" by novelist David Guterson. It's not new ~ published 15 years ago or so ~ but it's timeles and encouraging. The same is true of Susan Schaeffer Macauley's "For the Children's Sake". I would never recommend "The Well-Trained Mind" to someone new to homeschooling unless it was balanced by something less hardcore, e.g. Karen Andreola's "A Charlotte Mason Companion".

ETA: Whatever you do, in your efforts to be helpful, don't overwhelm the poor gal with a laundry list of books recommended here. Remind her that's it's perfectly possible to homeschool well without reading "how to" books. In fact, I'd argue homeschooling is easier when one doesn't get mired down by all manner of books talking about the subject.

Edited by Colleen

Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. I like it for newbies because it has the surveys in it that help the parent define how they want to homeschool and then points them to curriculum that fits in with that style.

Also, A Charlotte Mason Companion and A Charlotte Mason Education are others I often suggest.

Oh, I agree. I started with TWTM which was recommended to me and was totally overwhelmed. I will be gentle and reassuring; this gal definitely needs a light touch. She is led to homeschooling because her son, while completely normal intellectually, can't physically speak and will probably never be able to orally communicate beyond a few words. She feels, and I agree, that middle school would be way too rough for him and now that they have received a diagnosis and understand there is no "fixing" the problem, it's on to plan B.

She asked me for books to prepare her. I'll give her a few of the ones recommended here and reserve the rest for me. :o She may also ask for further books later on.

I'll check in tomorrow if any one else has a title to add.

Thanks!

This book covers all subjects from grade 4 through 8. She also has a set of booklets The Three Rs that cover everything you need to know to teach K-3.

Very clear and concise. Most of the information is theory on how children learn and general scope and sequence for each grade. I used them a lot.

Because I knew what I wanted them to know and how they could best absorb the information, I could incorporate the best parts of lots of different curriculum. I incorporated quite a bit from WTM and Sonlight.

The only homeschooling-related book I routinely recommend is "Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense" by novelist David Guterson. It's not new ~ published 15 years ago or so ~ but it's timeles and encouraging. The same is true of Susan Schaeffer Macauley's "For the Children's Sake". I would never recommend "The Well-Trained Mind" to someone new to homeschooling unless it was balanced by something less hardcore, e.g. Karen Andreola's "A Charlotte Mason Companion".

ETA: Whatever you do, in your efforts to be helpful, don't overwhelm the poor gal with a laundry list of books recommended here. Remind her that's it's perfectly possible to homeschool well without reading "how to" books. In fact, I'd argue homeschooling is easier when one doesn't get mired down by all manner of books talking about the subject.

:iagree: I've never read "Family Matters" so I can't comment on that, but I do agree -- wholeheartedly -- with everything else said, especially the part in bold.

The #1 book I'd recommend is "Seasons of a Mother's Heart" by Sally Clarkson. Very, very encouraging. :)

I found Lisa Whelchel's So You're Thinking About Homeschooling empowering. It was one of the first books I read on homeschooling. At the time I wasn't sure teaching my children was something I was able to do. After I read it, I knew I could. The book is a little corny, iirc, but it did the job for me.

I am currently reading The Well-Adjusted Child by Rachel Gathercole which is about the social benefits of homeschooling. I think it would be a beneficial read for someone thinking about homeschooling who perhaps is worried about the nasty "S" word homeschoolers so often hear about.

Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. I like it for newbies because it has the surveys in it that help the parent define how they want to homeschool and then points them to curriculum that fits in with that style. ...

:iagree:

I wanted to homeschool my DD when she was in elementary school. I didn't, to my regret, because I was overwhelmed, didn't know where to start, and the couple women I knew who were homeschooling (and who I'd asked for help) had been doing it for so long, they'd forgotten what it was like to be new at it.

Five years later, I KNEW I needed to homeschool DS ... and it was Cathy Duffy's book that really got me started, helped me to know I COULD DO THIS, gave me info on curriculum, and inspired confidence. The descriptions of various homeschooling methods, learning styles, and teaching methods were immensely helpful and were written in a way that a complete novice could understand.

If I'd read TWTM first, I would have been in a complete puddle on the floor.:svengo:

Some that I read this past summer in an effort to choose a direction were:

either Homeschooling the Easy Way or Easy Homeschooling (sorry, forgot exact title)

This one was great for seeing that it can be done in an uncomplicated manner, that real education can be accomplished in a natural environment of simplicity.

Homeschooling for Excellence by the Colfax's (Miki and ___?)

Great for encouragement and even to get an idea of how to do it yourself (completely). The book is from the early '80's or late '70's, but other than a few out-of-print book recommendations within, it all still rings true.

Then I read TWTM. Oh my. Then the homeschooling journey became the pressure cooker, the rollercoaster, until I could sort it all out in my head. :D I think reading these 3, plus having been exposed to Montessori methods (working in that environment) and loosely exposed to CM methods (reading about it on this forum) has given me the confidence to just create whatever mix of tools for learning that will work for my kids and the freedom to linger and explore their interests.

Things We Wish We'd Known: A Guide to Abundant-Life Homeschooling by Bill (?) and Diana Waring. They are just the editors; it is 50 veteran homeschoolers telling about their experiences. The homeschoolers are of all different types and are answering the question, "What is some advice that you wish YOU had received before homeschooling?"

It stands out in my mind as being particularly helpful.

Julie