Menu

Help me banish the "Scooby Doo" plots in dd writing...

TMarie

My 6th graders fiction writing always turns into what I call a "Scooby Doo" plot. You know the plot....

• a camp employee trying to scare campers away so she can sell out to government.
  • lots of fierce animal sightings and disappearing kids
  • man hiding secret base which produces robots for government.
  • etc..

First, are these kinds of plots acceptable? I don't like them. Second, how can I explain to her what is acceptable? I am not a writer. How can I give her guidance in choosing a plot?

FYI: We've used R&S for years. great grammar. I am now realizing our need for a writing program and am actively looking for one!

She does not read juvenile mystery type books regularly. Her steady diet of reading literature has come from WTM, Sonlight, and TOG suggestions.

From what I've seen, most grade school children write in "themes" unless they're truly creative writers or have constraints placed on the assignments. My son wrote a variations on the same dinosaur story for years whenever he could write what he wanted. Now that he's a lot more diverse, but he's also had over two years of IEW.

This is just what many kids do at that age. She'll grow out of it. The male equivalent (which I have more experience with :)) is the young-boy-goes-on-fantasy-quest-with-dragon plot. They grow out of that as well.

Creative writing may never be her thing...or else she may develop a whole new range of plots as she grows. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

SWB

the sound effects thing follows into adulthood, it seems (tho more low-scale), dh just got a new phone, some guy at the bookstore excitedly tells us how to download a program to make it sound like a light saber whenever it's moved.

"Boy" seems like a foreign land sometimes.