Menu

Eats, Shoots & Leaves

I was reading the book for myself but kept giggling out loud. She finally insisted I "share with the rest of the class." I read a portion of it aloud, and she ended up asking me to read the whole thing to her.

I do remember some slightly "mature" (or immature, depending on how you see such things) humor. And, as Laura said, it's not really a how-to book. But definitely worth a read.

the difference between the English and American rules on closing punctuation and quotation marks. The author is British, so her closing punctuation is usually outside the quotation marks: ". rather than ." She notes this difference somewhere, but it is easy to miss.

My 11 yo Grammar Princess enjoyed the ES&L page-a-day calendar last year.

Terri

the difference between the English and American rules on closing punctuation and quotation marks. The author is British, so her closing punctuation is usually outside the quotation marks: ". rather than ."

In Britain, if the punctuation belongs to the speaker, it goes inside the quotation marks; if it belongs to the larger sentence, it goes outside:

"My darling Henry, how could you doubt me?"

How could he have been deceived by Madeleine's protestation, "I am innocent"?

Laura