Menu

We got Calvin's biology exam result today

Laura Corin

He took his IGCSE Biology (roughly equivalent to SAT II subject test level) last November. We got the results this morning, and he got an A* (A+). I knew that he was intellectually able to do the exam, but he also coped well with the volume of memorisation and the exam stress. He's having a celebratory half hour on Wii sports as I write.

Laura

Congratulations, Calvin!

Also, congratulations, Laura! Would you mind giving us some hints on how you prepared for this exam? What resources did you use? What study schedule? What methods and format?

I have read (and enjoyed) your blog often, so I've picked up some of Calvin's study process from there, but I'm sincerely curious about how you've so successfully tackled this challenging subject for this comprehensive examination. Please enlighten us! :001_smile:

Also, congratulations, Laura! Would you mind giving us some hints on how you prepared for this exam? What resources did you use? What study schedule? What methods and format?

The IGCSE has a specified syllabus, which makes life easier. The exam board (Edexcel) that sets the exams also recommends authorised text books. We bought a couple of those, and just worked our way through the more detailed one. I read the science aloud to Calvin, we did experiments where it made sense to at home, and he did related exercises. All that took about two years - we both really enjoyed it, as I had very little biology at school, so it was all new to me too. We highighted crucial facts as we went through the book, referring to the end-of-chapter suggestions for this, as well as the second book's suggestions.

After we arrived in Scotland, we started school again at the beginning of September. That gave us 2 1/2 months to revise/review for the exam. I split the chapters up so that they could be covered in two months, then made flash cards (just saying things like 'page 14 to 16 of Longman') for each day. We got a concertina file numbered 1 to 31. Say there was a card for 5th September. He learned the contents on the 5th, then reviewed them one day later, one week later, then one month later, moving the card to the new location in the concertina each time. After he had learned that day's cards, I would test him on the contents. This is a method we took from the Galore Park study skills book, and it really works: we are now using it for foreign language vocab and grammar. Every Friday, I would pull out exam questions from previous years, so that he could get an idea of how the information would have to be presented (the IGCSE is not a multi-choice exam; it involves short answers, paragraphs, and some diagram/graph drawing).

By the end of October, he was getting pretty solid on his facts, so we started working on past exam papers. He took at least one each day for the last couple of weeks. I would then go over the papers with him, with the examiners' reports from that year in hand, so that we could develop rules of thumb about what the examiners were requiring. We put together flash cards of those rules of thumb for him to review every day (the old flash cards were now mostly laid aside).

That's about it. What I appreciated about the process was that Calvin really had to work: he's a bright kid, and usually breezes through any kind of test. This exam required effort, and he learned a lot about working for a goal.

Enough rambling..... There are not many people who are interested in the nitty gritty, so it's fun to tell someone.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I REALLY enjoy the tid-bits of day to day studying. Congrat to your very bright son!

Did he take the SAT, also? I would think you have to take that first. My DD11 will take the SAT next year.

Thanks for the info! YOU are a wonderful mother:001_smile:

Did he take the SAT, also? I would think you have to take that first. My DD11 will take the SAT next year.

There is no SAT: all the tests are subject tests. Calvin will be taking the IGCSEs in maths, English and English Literature in a few years: maths is not his forte, and the English tests require a bit more maturity of thought and expression than he is ready for yet. The next two exams we are heading for are chemistry and geography.

Thank you for your kind words.

Laura

What fantastic news! You both have a lot to be congratulated for...and to think you moved while preparing for this exam... kudos to Calvin on his exam success!

We arranged it so that we didn't take possession of the new house until Calvin had finished his exams, so it was actually a relatively calm period: we did all our revision for exams, and the tests themselves, between finding the house and actually moving in.

I'll pass the congratulations on to Calvin.

Laura

Over here in Ireland we have similar tests. I haven't figured out how to do these without succumbing to 'grind' schools that teach to the test for two years. Yuch.

It is inspiring to hear how home education principles can solve public school hurdles.

You may be able to study IGCSEs, then take them at the British embassy in Dublin. I haven't looked into this, but British embassies (usually the British Council section) often offer exam facilities. I'm happy to pass on more information about the exams if that would be useful.

Laura