Menu

Curly girls - What are some "approved" conditioners?

For years, I've used natural shampoos and conditioners (as in, no harsh chemicals, but not homemade). More recently, I've all but stopped using shampoo, at the recommendation of several curly haired women here. More recently still, I find I'm gravitating toward less natural products/conditioners in an effort to give my hair some control and less frizz. Not real happy about that, but the natural products just weren't doing the job. Still, curly girl hair sites recommend that "we" avoid silicone and similar -one derivatives which only slick down the curl and eventually become counterproductive. So, I'm torn.

I can NOT spend the bucks on the salon formula products right now, nor is there any place accessible to me to purchase them. So, I'm looking for either a kick butt homemade formula (vinegar, coconut oil, honey??) or recommendations for drugstore or natural food store products that are "approved" for people with super curl.

Help.

It is a difficult challenge to reduce chemicals, cost and still have the best curls.

I don't have an answer for a non salon product that "works" for my curls. I've tried most "curl" products from the drug store; some work well in the short term.

So far, the best I've found are Noodle Head products at Sally Beauty and Deva Curl products (I found them at Ulta). Spendy!

At the most recent cut, the first time I've gotten a premium stylist in 20+ years, she said that products like Pantene work great in the short term, but coat hair with a "wax" that ultimately prevents product from working.

Co-washing is one key; finding the right curl creme is the other for me. Products that enhance curls don't do what I want done with my curls as I don't need "help" with the curl. I need smoothing, calming and frizz control.

Hi! Most of the salon products are loaded with cones so they are a no-no anyway. I like the Suave naturals conditioners. My favs are the tangerine and the aloe and waterlily. My very favorite "curly girl" approved conditioners are the Loreal vive pro hydra gloss (yellow bottle) and the nutri gloss (bubble gum pink bottle). Make sure you get the nutri gloss that says "medium to long hair that's curly/wavy". They are very thick and super moisturizing!

I also like the herbal essences gels. The set me up gel is my favorite.

All of these products are under $4 so that is a bonus!

HTH!

ETA: If you have been using products with cones, do a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build-up. I just used the Suave clarifying. It costs about $1.50. Also give "curly girl" some time. It takes several weeks for your hair to recognize that it doesn't need to produce so much oil. And then everything will settle down and your curls will be fabulous!

For years, I've used natural shampoos and conditioners (as in, no harsh chemicals, but not homemade). More recently, I've all but stopped using shampoo, at the recommendation of several curly haired women here. More recently still, I find I'm gravitating toward less natural products/conditioners in an effort to give my hair some control and less frizz. Not real happy about that, but the natural products just weren't doing the job. Still, curly girl hair sites recommend that "we" avoid silicone and similar -one derivatives which only slick down the curl and eventually become counterproductive. So, I'm torn.

I can NOT spend the bucks on the salon formula products right now, nor is there any place accessible to me to purchase them. So, I'm looking for either a kick butt homemade formula (vinegar, coconut oil, honey??) or recommendations for drugstore or natural food store products that are "approved" for people with super curl.

Help.

I use Tresemme pro-vitamin b5 & aloe remoisturize conditioner for my curly haired dd. It was recommended on a Curly Girls forum, and we've had great results with it. It is far more moistuizing than most inexpensive moisturizers, and even more than some expensive ones. My sil and husband have also used it successfully. It's only $3-something at Walmart for a huge bottle that lasts my dd about a month.

I'm so happy to have this list; I don't know why I didn't ask sooner! The Sally Beauty products, no matter how "good" aren't going to work for me because the closest store is an hour away. Just not practical for me. But, the next time I hit Target or our local pharmacy, I'm going to take these other suggestions with me and do a bit of comparison shopping. Hooray! Thanks.

P.S. If there is a "natural concoction" out there among you, I'd still be interested to learn about that.

Doran - Desert Essences Tea Tree Oil Conditioner may be available at/in a naturals store/dept. It is very smoothing and ringlet inducing for me and is about the most "natural" I have been able to find that wasn't prohibitively expensive. It still has one of the parabens in it, fyi. I find I have to pair it with a mild shampoo, currently I have Mill Creek Aloe shampoo. For someone even curlier/frizzier than I, you may not need the shampoo.

Edited by Jill

I wouldn't use anything but - Infusium 23 (frizz)ologies conditioner and shampoo plus the (repair)ologie leave-in-treatment. I put this in a spray bottle, spray my hair upsidedown while still wet, and comb it through w/ a large toothed comb. I have used these for many years and I love my curls, and get lots of compliments on my hair. The best thing is you can buy these at Wal-mart :D!

I use straight, raw coconut oil (Nutiva), right out of the tub, as a leave-in conditioner / "product". It is, literally, the only thing I have ever used that makes my hair actually curl and not frizz. (And also not have that nasty, dirty feeling when I wake up) I just melt some in my hands and rub it through while my hair is damp, then scrunch it. It is never greasy or crunchy feeling, and is very shiny (though that probably has to do with a chamomile rinse, as well).

I use straight, raw coconut oil (Nutiva), right out of the tub, as a leave-in conditioner / "product". It is, literally, the only thing I have ever used that makes my hair actually curl and not frizz. (And also not have that nasty, dirty feeling when I wake up) I just melt some in my hands and rub it through while my hair is damp, then scrunch it. It is never greasy or crunchy feeling, and is very shiny (though that probably has to do with a chamomile rinse, as well).

Angela, I was using CO for awhile as a body moisturizer, and I enjoyed that. But, I was having trouble with chunks of it falling either on the bathroom floor or the shower/tub floor. Same brand (Nutiva). I'm just wondering if you've found this to be an issue or, better yet, if you've found a way to work with the solids that seem to melt more slowly in a dollop of this oil.

Ummmm, no. I just scoop a little bit out at a time, melt it in my hands and then do my thing. It may take a moment if my hands are cold, but it doesn't generally take but 10-15 seconds.

In the summer, it's liquid on my counter (melting point is 76 F). Maybe if you take the (closed) container in the shower with you, it would be more melty, less crumbly? Or, you could measure some out in a glass and put it in a bowl of warm water while you shower. That should get it at least nearly liquid by the time you're ready to use it.... I'm heading up to jump in the shower now. I'll gove that a whirl and report back.

ETA: OK, here's the report. I out about 2T in a juice glass, which I put in the sink basin with a little warm water. It was completely liquid when I got out of the shower. Further, despite having knee-length hair and more yardage of body surface area than I care to admit, I used perhaps half of what was in the glass, pouring a little into my hand at a time. Huh. Who knew? (I poured the rest back into the jar)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse