Menu

Remember that $130 German textbook we had to buy for CC?

It's soaked, sodden, ruined. Well, not ruined for our use, but ruined for re-sale.

We've had torrential rain here, for days and days. We're on high ground, but hundreds of families are being evacuated in our region. My son stood in the rain waiting for the bus from school to his music lesson (and his teacher didn't show!) and then stood in the rain waiting for his bus home. It never occurred to me that his pack would not be waterproof. Heck, everything around these parts is waterproof! I paid a kazillion dollars for that pack. But, darn it! Definitely not waterproof. So he took his books out to do his homework this evening and found them all wrinkled and soggy.

Poor guy. He takes meticulous care of his things. He bought that book with his own money. I know that he could have sold it as "like new" because he's so careful. He was really bummed. But then he said, "Well. At least we're not sleeping in a shelter tonight." He's right. But I can't help feeling a little disappointed for him. :confused:

What a frustration for you and for your ds! I'm so sorry you've been going through such awful rains; I've been watching some of that on the Weather Channel and a day or so ago I read a headline that said "17 inches of rain" and I think it was within 24 hours! That's incredible.

I hope that his book will dry out OK and that it will at least last through the time that he needs to use it.

I'll pray for both of you this morning; I hope your region doesn't get any more rain!

:grouphug:

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. His book looks quite a bit fatter this morning, now that it's dried. So we feel, now, that we've gotten more for that $130, lol!

It is terrible, this flooding. I really feel for the people who are in shelters and don't know what state their homes will be in when they return. Awful.

Susan, FH is a remarkable place, but that's not an experience I'd wish on anyone. (Not surprised you were wet the whole time, either!) I hope your husband is doing well since the transplant.

N

I'd dry it out and list it on half.com when he's done with it. You'll have to be honest about the condition (been wet, but dried out...completely usable) and take less than you could have, but I imagine you'll sell it. My dd would buy a book like that to save $$ rather than purchase a more expensive copy!

(We just bought a Calculus book that was $158--used--at the bookstore. I bought it online for $75. The binding is a bit loose; other than that, it's just fine. I'm willing to take less than perfection to save bigger bucks.)

Poor guy. He takes meticulous care of his things. He bought that book with his own money. I know that he could have sold it as "like new" because he's so careful. He was really bummed. But then he said, "Well. At least we're not sleeping in a shelter tonight." He's right. But I can't help feeling a little disappointed for him. :confused:

He has a very mature attitude! I agree with the poster who suggested selling it as is at a greatly reduced price. He'll still get something for it and someone else with tight finances will appreciate the deal.

You need to wait until it is completely dry - or it will get moldy and smell.

Once it is completely dry, find two flat pieces of wood slightly bigger than the book - think thick plywood, or something of the sort. Then you either need a vice grips, or a bunc or hand clamps, or both. I suppose you could also use a flower press or even a whole bunch of weight on top of it - I've only done this with vice grips and clamps. Just clamp the sucker tight. I'll go back and tighten it some more, and also keep turning it because the pressure probably isn't even. Give it a few weeks. It will look a LOT better, even if it isn't brand new. (If he needs to take it out and use it during this time, I don't think it will matter)

I don't know why I know this. My kids have left library books out in the rain. One time I dropped a book I was reading out loud into the dog's dish right at the exciting part.

You won't be able to sell it for as much, but there are many students who are looking for a deal who will gladly pay $15 less for it than the other books listed which are in near mint condition. If you list it as perfectly serviceable, but damaged...therefore reduced, you will attract bargain hunters! :) I've done it successfully on Half.com and a couple other used book sites several times. Used mint, minus $15 bucks, is a lot more than nothing!

BTW, he sounds like a really great guy!

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. And the handy clamp, book-smooshing tip. Good to know y'all think we could still sell the book. Of course, a new edition will probably be out any second, and then even the mint-condition texts will be virtually worthless!

If that much rain keeps up you'd better get kayaking waterproof stuff bags. :) I agree, charge double because it is so big now!

Stuff bags are not a bad idea, especially for that very expensive calculator that is also in the backpack some days. Though I guess a ziplock would do the trick, too. But when I first read this, I thought you were going to say we'd need a kayak to get him to school. And shoot, yesterday, that would have been handy!