Menu

What did my ds forget to pack for college?

He is leaving Sunday morning. He has to pack everything into two 50lb suit cases and one carry-on. He is 6'5" so picking up forgotten clothes a local store won't be possible, it will have to be shipped. He is packing today, and I am checking his bags in the morning - what should I make sure is in there?

He won't need cooking supplies because there is a stocked kitchen in the dorm. "Basic linens" are provided but I don't know what that means. I remember that I forgot to take clothes hangers, but there is no way he can take those. So, how much and what should a teenager take for 4 months away at school?

Basic linens usually includes top/bottom sheet and pillow case. It may also include a blanket. I don't think I could have fit 4 months worth of clothes in one 50# suitcase and carryon though.

At least 7 pairs of pants/jeans and about a dozen shirts/sweaters/sweatshirts. Thermal underwear (if he's going to be where it's cold), 6-12 t-shirts, 12 pr. underwear, 12 pr. socks, 2 pr shoes (sneakers, one nicer pair),

If his laundry is going to be in his dorm area, so he can run a quick load now and then, he can get away with less.

Don't forget the toothbrush & toothpaste :D

Is he going to be in a decent size town? If so, I would would focus on clothing, shoes, etc. that would be hard to replace due to his height. Make sure he has the basics for whatever weather he might encounter. Layers would well like a T shirt, sweatshirt, and a light weight coat in cooler weather vs. taking 2 coats. If he will be walking a lot outside in a wet climate a rain coat would be handy.

The other stuff--personal care items, soaps, etc. he could pick up at a local store.

oh, how about a few pictures or other favorite things from home that would make his dorm seem more like home? Even if they provide linens, sometimes a favorite pillow case would make things look more homey than the standard issue ones.

I can't remember what I took just to study a year there, but I don't remember having a feeling of not having what I really needed. If he has jeans, t-shirts a couple of long sleeve shirts/sweaters, a jackets, shoes, underwear amd socks, he has the essentials. Everything else is just icing:)

When I travel I always double check the following:

Toothbrush and contact lenses/glasses.

Cell phone and charger

Camera

Wallet

How about cold medicines/treatments? My dds appreciated having familiar medication at the beginning of school, and this might be true of your son especially since he'll be in a foreign country.

I agree with focusing on his clothes which might be difficult to replicate due to his size. Even bedding could surely be obtained over there.

What a great adventure!! Tell him we wish him all the best!!

Anne

Good slippers & socks as many do not wear shoes indoors in Japan.

Maybe a towel or two & a washcloth or two. Not sure if washcloths are standard in Japan or not -- in Europe you often don't find them or you find a wash mitt instead.

His passport. :001_smile:

Good slippers & socks as many do not wear shoes indoors in Japan.

Maybe a towel or two & a washcloth or two. Not sure if washcloths are standard in Japan or not -- in Europe you often don't find them or you find a wash mitt instead.

His passport. :001_smile:

Oh yeah - the passport! that student visa took us FOREVER! and he is taking a photo copy of it - maybe two or three just in case.

I am making a list of all the ideas. I hadn't thought of washcloths at all. Keep the ideas coming. Right now my brain is still babbling incoherently something about my baby leaving me and I can't think. I bought him new socks and undies. I took him to the store this morning to pick out a couple of new button up shirts. I picked him up new tooth brushes - I think I bought hims 6 which is probably too many for 4 months. I got him razors and shaving cream - I still stumble over the fact that he shaves. I bought him deodorant - a 4 pack, but again that is probably overkill. I think he needs hair jell since it is humid there and his hair tends to curl. Somebody send a nice little checklist to my printer for me please.

How about cold medicines/treatments? My dds appreciated having familiar medication at the beginning of school, and this might be true of your son especially since he'll be in a foreign country.

I know you can't take sudafed to Japan. But could he take other cold medicines in his checked baggage? Oh - NO - I hope the pharmacy is open tomorrow - I forgot to get his inhaler refilled! :banghead:

Before you pack cold medicines, make sure they are legal in Japan. Certain types of cold meds are illegal:

From this link: http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html

It is illegal to bring into Japan some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain Pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers)...

Oh yeah - the passport! that student visa took us FOREVER! and he is taking a photo copy of it - maybe two or three just in case.

I am making a list of all the ideas. I hadn't thought of washcloths at all. Keep the ideas coming. Right now my brain is still babbling incoherently something about my baby leaving me and I can't think. I bought him new socks and undies. I took him to the store this morning to pick out a couple of new button up shirts. I picked him up new tooth brushes - I think I bought hims 6 which is probably too many for 4 months. I got him razors and shaving cream - I still stumble over the fact that he shaves. I bought him deodorant - a 4 pack, but again that is probably overkill. I think he needs hair jell since it is humid there and his hair tends to curl. Somebody send a nice little checklist to my printer for me please.

We just moved from Tokyo last summer and he will find washcloths everywhere. People carrry them with them all over because most bathrooms don't have papertowels. Since he's going to be in Tokyo, I wouldn't worry too much if he forgets a particular essential like shaving cream (though you have that covered) since he'll find plenty of that stuff there. He will need comfortable shoes though, since they'll be near impossible to find there and expensive to boot : ) He will have SO much fun getting to see that part of the world...and he'll even have american conveniences like Starbucks on every corner. Good luck to him! And, I hope you do fine with him so far away from you!

I know you can't take sudafed to Japan. But could he take other cold medicines in his checked baggage? Oh - NO - I hope the pharmacy is open tomorrow - I forgot to get his inhaler refilled! :banghead:

Karen,

There is more info on prescription meds on the page I linked in my other post.

:grouphug:

He will need a small, fold-up type umbrella that he'll need to take with him everywhere.

Did he pack his laptop? A wireless router is good to have.

A bed pillow. It will squish into his suitcase but the ones provided in Japan are usually very, very small. They are like rice pillows. He may like them. Or, they do sell regular pillows there so he could buy one when he gets there.

Does he have a favorite snack that he just can't live without? American snack food is very hard to find in Japan. Or, you can have him make you a list and you can ship a package later, but a medium box of snack food cost me $80 in postage to ship to Japan (not including the cost of the food!)

Bath towels.

Japanese currency.

Food for his first day. This may not be provided and he'll be hungry.

These are things I remember that my ds needed/took or didn't have for his 4 1/2 months in a Japanese college. Ds says if he is willing to go out and shop/explore that he can find anything he might need to just purchase there, so don't worry if he forgets something.

As for his meds, my ds actually forgot his and the postage was outrageous, but there was no problem in getting them to him.

And, they lost his carry-on in Tokyo (it was an airline error). The people at that airport did everything possible to find it and get it to him. When they found it, they called *me* here in the states to get the address of where he was in Japan (our home info was on his tag), and they hand delivered it to him! We honestly thought it was gone forever. It had ds's camera and meds in it. We shipped him more meds immediately when it was lost and he actually got his bag back with the original meds from the airport before he got the package we shipped by super-fast mail. The people there are all about service.

Hope your ds has a wonderful time. Mine LOVED it!

I don't know about *stuff*, but I recommend packing some of each item in each suitcase. You know, suitcase #1 contains some undies, pants, toothbrushes, shirts, shoes. Suitcase #2 contains the rest of the undies, shirts, pants, etc.

Not that I've ever had any luggage lost.:glare:

What a wonderful opportunity for him!

Maps/directions/guidebooks/favorite J-E dictionary.

I don't think you should include things like a pillow or too many towels, given they're bulky and available, and you only have 2 bags. Definitely bring a spare pair of glasses, extra medicine, and other essentials like that. Extra clothes, esp given his height -- very good plan! I think you're smart to remember that he can buy what he doesn't have and bring what he won't be able to find.

I hope he has a wonderful time. Gambatte!