Menu

The Brilliant History of Color in Art is an excellent book, but not a curriculum. What are you looking for in a curriculum? Just history reading or art projects to go along with it? Like @Miss Tick I've also put together something for a class I teach. I've used Tate for Kids on YouTube too. I use an old college textbook to put together most of my art history teaching and just simplify as I teach it. I also picked up A World of Art by Henry M Sayre and am pretty happy with it so far: seems like maybe a high school level book?

• Like 2

Ah, I see.   The reading along with art projects would be nice.

Sounds like there isn’t one out there?  
She wants to prepare herself for college. But at this age, I am looking for something fun. 
I am hoping for something already out there. 
Thanks for mentioning the books and you tube channel you used. I’ll look into that. 😃

You might also look at Teachers Pay Teachers and see if you find something you can use. If your middle schooler is interested in Art History you might want to get yourself a copy of the AP test prep guide to see what they might need to know down the road. You could use that to start art studies now to ease some of the memorization later.

I used a children's book - A Brief Illustrated History of Art, by David West as the basis for the art eras we discussed in class. Then I put together mini books, one for each era, relying heavily on Wikipedia. It had iconic paintings for each era and short descriptions to go with them. I also used some of the pictures to make a deck of Memory cards which we played occasionally for review. We did a loosely related art project to round out the week.

Another resource that is often mentioned is the Annotated Mona Lisa. It didn't work for my co-op, but might work better for a one-on-one set up.

Khan Academy has some interesting videos to watch, and it looks like Crash Course has art history now too.

If you have any interest in art history yourself, this kind of class is great for designing. There is no agreed upon scope or sequence, no one will expect anything in particular from your student at the end. It can be as hands-on or hands-off as you or your student want. If your year gets complicated you can scale back, if you're student loves it you can increase their focus. Ok! Off my soap box now 😁

• Like 2

Those are great ideas too.  Thanks Miss Tick!  I didn't realize crash course has art history too!  We love crash course. 

She wants to study Medieval/Renaissance for history, so I'll probably work art history around that period. 

Yes, will probably take it slow.  She has plenty of time! 🙂 

I think this will be a great topic, and I agree with Miss Tick -- there are few expectations and a lot of flexibility for art history.

When we used to be a in a co-op when my older kids were little, one leader was really big on a Charlotte Mason-style picture study. Her method was to put the picture in front of the kids, no explanation, and just give them time to observe, point out things, etc. Once they had had a chance to connect with the work on their own, then she would ask what might be happening or what someone's face might be expressing, and she'd talk a little more about the work. So I have always tried to keep that idea in mind, that the relationship with the art and artist was the goal.

I think we have a slightly older version of this book -- it has tons of pictures, and you could read a little about the picture/artist as you go. https://www.amazon.com/Art-Definitive-Andrew-Graham-Dixon/dp/1465474757/ref=sr_1_4?crid=WC534XPVFZMY&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ihqQ3KYPAnCnpPY3GaySBYiYB2A_5h8yuiEkbhercv0G8bShW-NFZuu4rKIl7Aj78SHBQP_j9Rsxr3jlgstZuacOYlKY4f0_NvZupwZi8iaNxSsVQT3F5hDsCTjtNCnHSjtkZNu-awei8FWoW2Nkk0zs1vzmzSru1Ma6noO7FUx2LGmGRIos8PiBJEjwUk26GahltSJuB9Nu_07SjIuFFYJi4XJWiLyQ_wfWi5vVqfI.v6AHa8Scjb8ivDI5J2A3iJAlaYoH5lUCf5QLgIVVfJs&dib_tag=se&keywords=dk+art&qid=1722184701&sprefix=dk+art%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-4

Especially if you are talking about medieval/Renaissance, my almost-11 and 13 year old boys love this book for the architecture (I'm a fan of the DK Smithsonian books in general because the pictures draw kids in): https://www.amazon.com/Man-Made-Wonders-World-DK/dp/1465482520/ref=sr_1_1?crid=U1EOZRAJAUUQ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.7InHVdb18F60kBeykHm1kT4NNN-Uyr3LwnvR7QztyyaV5Aoo1UjTHlx5Y6LSEVX47IKCtFJ5uY4AQjKjRtUFoZ7qKYnIs4c_bOw0xBQDv0YYzKNowrPcq66zTMe-Ynm_EgwBiqMUlyHOqGgGxQ2ALEfYsF3hxSIcAU47VbhGdFNAqd8S3IrAJx5TiP3-snOrkzIf5l0wrn5Qud1Zi8yXp7aLch4pvNF40xok5eIB6zc.cDLLtBUFpL6XFEq86-SY0dUeTl0sFwid4hvmdg6_fvI&dib_tag=se&keywords=man+made+wonders+of+the+world+book&qid=1722185404&sprefix=man+made+wonder%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-1

(Medieval architecture has castles!!! And Notre Dame de Paris.)

This one looks interesting too, though no personal experience: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Book-Ideas-Simply-Explained/dp/1465453377/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WC534XPVFZMY&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ihqQ3KYPAnCnpPY3GaySBYiYB2A_5h8yuiEkbhercv0G8bShW-NFZuu4rKIl7Aj78SHBQP_j9Rsxr3jlgstZuacOYlKY4f0_NvZupwZi8iaNxSsVQT3F5hDsCTjtNCnHSjtkZNu-awei8FWoW2Nkk0zs1vzmzSru1Ma6noO7FUx2LGmGRIos8PiBJEjwUk26GahltSJuB9Nu_07SjIuFFYJi4XJWiLyQ_wfWi5vVqfI.v6AHa8Scjb8ivDI5J2A3iJAlaYoH5lUCf5QLgIVVfJs&dib_tag=se&keywords=dk+art&qid=1722184701&sprefix=dk+art%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-5

My middle guys just fell in love with these books, wanted to look at them over and over. 

https://www.amazon.com/Books-Anna-Nilsen/s?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AAnna+Nilsen

Ambleside Online's picture study lists are really nice and time-saving if you have a specific artist in mind because they've picked out good examples and have them in nice PDFs plus some additional resources: https://www.amblesideonline.org/artists

If you want output, you could have your kid try their hand at some art similar to some of the artists. Also, my kids love when I participate in whatever art experiment we're doing.

You could also have your child write a couple of sentences about what they noticed about the art, or write a story about what they think is going on, or how the art makes them feel, or a time when they experienced something similar. . . 

Seriously, though, HAVE FUN with it! 

• Like 3

Probably too young / simple / overview, but we liked these in late elementary / early middle school:

Usborne Internet Linked Introduction to Art
Usborne Internet Linked Introduction to Modern Art

Those are 2-page spreads on each time period or movement. *Might* work as a very beginning intro, and then go deeper with additional resources on specific time periods.

Also, possibly Sister Wendy materials for grade 8+

The Story of Painting -- book, tracing the history of Western art, with many photos of many works
Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces -- book
Sister Wendy -- YouTube videos of some of her original video series episodes, plus interviews
Sister Wendy: The Story of Painting -- her original video series
Sister Wendy: The Complete Collection -- dvd collection of all of her video series

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

If you are studying medieval art history, and want to add in a hands-on project, binding your own codex is a great one:

https://howdidyoumakethis.com/codex-book-binding/

I did this project with my private school students and it was a huge hit. I scaled the size down and used letter size paper folded in half for the booklets. You can buy a book binding kit with all the tools you’ll need on Amazon for $10.

Another great feature is that you can used the finished product as a journal. My students added illuminations to their entries. 

Edited by The Governess
  • Like 3

I have another book called Art in Story: Teaching Art History to Elementary School Children (by Marianne C Saccardi). I haven't used it much, but it's a bit like SOTW: a reading section (which is probably advanced for most elementary kids-I think it's more like low middle school level), journal writing ideas, art/drama project ideas, even ideas to tie in writing/science/pe/etc, and a list of book references. It might be what you're looking for. I haven't used it much because I don't like the art projects for what I'm trying to do, but you could also just Google project ideas too. 

• Like 2

I bought this one for my 7th grader to use this year because it looked so beautiful and is part text/part practice.  We are not Catholic, but I assume that will be a non-issue except perhaps some references to Saints if there are any in the examples.  There is almost a 100 page sample on the seller webpage.

https://chcweb.com/product/ever-ancient-ever-new-art-history-appreciation-theory-and-practice/

Edited by OakParkOwlets
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...