Menu

I am getting my first massage ever today

DawnM

I have no idea what to expect.  I am getting a neck, back, and foot de-stress massage.

I do not want to take off clothing, or at least not undergarments.  I can't relax if I have to do that, so I won't.

I am nervous about my lower back as it hurts a lot and even touch can be painful.

I look forward greatly to a neck and foot massage.   My husband is not the best massage therapist.   Just saying......

BTW:   It is $28/US for a 40 min. massage.   If I like it, I will go back every day we are here (in Diani Beach at the resort, now, the resort cost a lot but the services are not a lot extra.)

Any advice for my first time?

• Like 2

Please tell them what hurts and how much pressure you think you will want. Let them know if you don't mind a chatty Cathy or quiet massage.

Normal practice for Western style massage is to take the clothes off. You might want to clarify before you go to the massage room.

Massage is my jam and my treat to myself! Good luck! I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 2

One thing I've learned is that you can certainly tell them what you want, what you're comfortable with, etc.   You can steer it.

So you tell them you're keeping on your undergarments or anything else.  (Or just do it, and they'll figure it out!)  You can tell them what parts of your body need the most attention, that you want to start lightly, etc.  If it hurts, make sure to tell them that too.   They'll take your lead if you communicate with them!

• Like 1

drink lots of water, both ahead of time and afterwards.  It will help get things moving in your tissues and that includes releasing toxins your body stores.  Don't plan on doing a lot afterwards.  You might want a nap.

My shiatsu practitioner only does clothed (fully body) massages - wear elastic waist loose pants with flexible fabric/yoga pants.  sweats are usually too heavy.  don't wear jeans. wear a knit t-shirt, nothing with buttons.
I have had several standard unclothed massages.  I've always been mostly covered by sheet/blanket and only the body part being worked on was exposed.  (heated massage tables are great.  :D)

• Like 3

Thanks guys.   I forgot it was the middle of the night in much of the US when I posted.

It went well.   They had little disposable undies to put on and I was face down the entire time, so I was a bit more comfortable.    

I might do it again tomorrow!

• Like 11

Glad it went well. 

I get massages regularly since my job has a high risk for musculoskeletal injuries.  In the beginning, I kept my underwear on despite being covered by a sheet/blanket.  She starts by massaging over the sheet, but then only uncovers the area she is working on.  Since I am much more at ease with how she does things, I can disrobe entirely for the massage, which allows her better access to areas that need work.  

• Like 1