Menu

Suggest good Graduation Gift Ideas

I'm trying to think two items. First, something practical *and* second, something that's a convenience/luxury. I'm looking for suggestions and am sure ya'll wont fail.

Of course The Boys are boys, but if you have suggestions for girls, I'm sure the WTM community will appreciate it.

Edited by Gil

On 7/15/2024 at 6:27 PM, Kassia said:

I think luggage is a great idea if they don't already have it.  

Luggage is practical. A trip is fun/luxury to go with it!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

A shares account if they don't have one, and a link to someone talking about dividend investing.

Graduation is a great time to think about retirement, isn't it? lol And compound interest is the gift that keeps on giving.

4 hours ago, J-rap said:

We got several of our kids a nice backpack for travel...  They've all travelled a lot and often preferred a large backpack over a suitcase.  

yes, something like this is what I was thinking about when I mentioned luggage.  Or in addition to standard luggage.  My kids use good quality travel backpacks a lot (Osprey).  

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 10:28 PM, Rosie_0801 said:

A shares account if they don't have one, and a link to someone talking about dividend investing.

Graduation is a great time to think about retirement, isn't it? lol And compound interest is the gift that keeps on giving.

I really like this idea, since they're pretty financially equipped. They have jobs, savings and a decent understanding of financial literacy and investing. Maybe I'll buy them a few shares of stock...

I thought about giving them a (large for us) Sum of cash, but stock might be a better idea.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Gil said:

I really like this idea, since they're pretty financially equipped. They have jobs, savings and a decent understanding of financial literacy and investing. Maybe I'll buy them a few shares of stock...

I thought about giving them a (large for us) Sum of cash, but stock might be a better idea.

Yeah, a roth IRA with a bit of money in mutual funds could be a great gift to them (and yourself!). But maybe not “fun”?

Our older got (and our younger will get) a quilt made of T-shirts from their various activities and trips.  It's what older is taking to college as the bedspread/blanket.  It turned out super cool.  I didn't make it, but there are companies that do quilts and blankets (we used Deaf Initiatives -I like supporting a good cause and they do good work).  I gave spouse one made of our college Ts from years ago and it's been a favorite gift.  It hits all of the right notes for me - uses shirts that we can't get rid of but don't wear, you end up with a blanket, and it's sentimental.  

• Like 2