Menu

Well-Trained Bodies - July

Short walk + mobility this am

Taking the girls to the park for the nature group. We were supposed to be going to a spot on the river but it's flooded again with all the rain yesterday.

Evening- another workout class- today's focus is legs (and I may or may not play around on the monkey bars. I'd like to be able to do the ascending ones more smoothly- they were very difficult)

• Like 4

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got in two dog walks in the woods yesterday. I also extended my rock garden an other foot or so and replaced the stones, while planting some creeping thyme which will hopefully expand into a pretty carpet.

For fun, here's a photo of my two border collies enjoying a special 'pup cup' treat from Starbucks after our walk yesterday.

1000005829.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The weather is due to be better for hiking in the mountains tomorrow,  so I just went for a swim today. I'm working on breathing on both sides when I swim freestyle,  and it's starting to feel more natural.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm working on breathing on both sides when I swim freestyle,  and it's starting to feel more natural.

I used to alternate sides, but now one of my ears gets plugged up badly with water and is annoying, so I tend to breath on the one side that is most comfortable. There is no hard and fast rule that alternating is any better or faster than one side. Whatever works best for you is key.

Even with Olympic swimmers, you'll likely see a whole variety of methods - sometimes even with the same swimmers over the course of their event. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I've taken a few days of rest from tennis, and today I'll be playing some mixed doubles tennis tonight, so I'm really hoping that my wrist will feel ok. 

I've also been walking the dogs daily and doing my stretching.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I used to alternate sides, but now one of my ears gets plugged up badly with water and is annoying, so I tend to breath on the one side that is most comfortable. There is no hard and fast rule that alternating is any better or faster than one side. Whatever works best for you is key.

Even with Olympic swimmers, you'll likely see a whole variety of methods - sometimes even with the same swimmers over the course of their event. 

Working on it is partly an attempt to keep myself engaged in swimming. I have a history of swimming for a few months and then stopping out of boredom.  Swimming has been so good for my back this year that I want to keep my brain engaged for as long as possible.

• Like 5

The last two days I've been hauling stuff - 40 boxes of books, then another 40 crates of books today, moving furniture, two days of 25 pies each. Need cardio!

• Like 5

Thursday- short walk + mobility

I organized paperwork so lots of sitting on my butt.

Today I *hope* to get to an exercise class but I don't know if I can make it work with my schedule. I'll be with dd1 for an appointment all morning and then the girls have a homeschool event tonight. Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

Glorious photos @regentrude

I was working in the garden today and disturbed a toad. He escaped into the pond and croaked his displeasure. 

I slept badly, so decided not to drive to the Highlands today. I'm just setting out for a walk from home - maybe nine miles or so.

20240712_120720.jpg

20240712_122403.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Laura Corin Your pond is looking amazing for the short time you've had it!! 

@regentrude Thanks for sharing your photos. I've been leaning heavily toward 'peaceful observational' paddling rather than clocking up miles this year. I need to preserve my arms, wrists, etc. for playing tennis. 😉  I've also been inspired by the photos fellow paddlers post on our fb pages. If you paddle by too quickly, you often miss out on seeing and hearing all the wildlife. For example, bullfrogs let out the biggest burr sound when all is quiet. 

I got in the dog walk this morning. Last night was mixed doubles tennis, and it was really fun! My wrist held up great (I put on two pieces of athletic tape for support), and there's very little pain afterwards. Yipee! 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@regentrude Thanks for sharing your photos. I've been leaning heavily toward 'peaceful observational' paddling rather than clocking up miles this year. I need to preserve my arms, wrists, etc. for playing tennis. 😉  I've also been inspired by the photos fellow paddlers post on our fb pages. If you paddle by too quickly, you often miss out on seeing and hearing all the wildlife. For example, bullfrogs let out the biggest burr sound when all is quiet. 

Absolutely. We take our time and aren't aiming at miles - the miles just happen by being out often and for several hours. We usually average 3-4 mph, depending on the current. Wednesday we paddled 20 miles on a small creek, from the upper reaches to its confluence with the river. On the water for 6.5 hours, and we didn't see another boat. Fantastic solitude. On our floats here, we've seen beaver and otters, eagles, blue herons, green herons, and lots of interesting plants. It's the best thing to do here in the hot and humid summers when hiking isn't good.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

Another dog walk today while dh is out of town (he usually runs with the dog in the morning--I'm the replacement but I don't run). Just keeping along with the bullfrog theme, we have a little wetland in the neighborhood on our walking route. We hear a couple of bullfrogs doing a call and response each morning on our walks.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Absolutely. We take our time and aren't aiming at miles - the miles just happen by being out often and for several hours. We usually average 3-4 mph, depending on the current. Wednesday we paddled 20 miles on a small creek, from the upper reaches to its confluence with the river. On the water for 6.5 hours, and we didn't see another boat. Fantastic solitude. On our floats here, we've seen beaver and otters, eagles, blue herons, green herons, and lots of interesting plants. It's the best thing to do here in the hot and humid summers when hiking isn't good.

Oh wow, you've got amazing leg conditioning to be able to last that many hours! My hamstrings would be toast. I've been working hard on stretching them out so that I can paddle more comfortably, but I'm still quite tight. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Oh wow, you've got amazing leg conditioning to be able to last that many hours! My hamstrings would be toast. I've been working hard on stretching them out so that I can paddle more comfortably, but I'm still quite tight. 

Why do your legs hurt from paddling? I mean, sure, I hike a ton and have strong legs, but I don't feel paddling puts much of a strain. It's not rowing. Torso and core are doing most of the work.

What kind of boat do you have?

Edited by regentrude

Why do your legs hurt from paddling? I mean, sure, I hike a ton and have strong legs, but I don't feel paddling puts much of a strain. It's not rowing. Torso and core are doing most of the work.

I don't know about @wintermom but with my sciatica issues sitting that long would be hard on me. I want to get out our kayaks but we've been doing a lot of work around the house in our free time on the weekends. Next summer....

Today I did a class that was primarily a cardio class. Cardio is not my strong suite so I was nervous but I kept up just fine and finished first on some rounds. I screwed up some moves (as different instructors call things different names and I'm not the most coordinated) but I kept up, kept moving, and didn't die. I'm calling it a win.

I also did some mobility work this morning. I need to walk before the storms come back but am struggling with the motivation. I was anxious last night (medical stuff for a kid) and didn't sleep the best. 

@Laura Corin sorry for the poor sleep. You mentioned avoiding the forward folds- how is the sciatica for you? 

@wintermom glad the wrist is better

@Eos hauling stuff around sounds like plenty of cardio to me

@Ali in OR I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your time off

--------------------

I may or may not pop in this weekend. We hope to be getting a lot of work on the shop done this weekend. We started hanging the siding on the back of the shop last weekend and are anxious to get it done. We think it will take a couple of weekends (which means it will probably be at least 3 LOL). Since we got back from vaca we've been working on all the prep for that, time, windows, building more scaffolding etc. It is not too strenuous but keeps us busy.

• Like 5

@Soror thanks for asking. The sciatica is a lot better but still there. Forward bends don't always cause pain, but my physio said not to push them. Deep, soft chairs are still an issue.

@wintermom thanks for your comments about the pond. The water plants are growing in nicely, and I rearranged some of the nearby land plants today to give them all some more space. We had swallows skimming over the pond today, which was very pretty.

Today was a good wildlife day - after this morning's toad, I happened upon a badger this afternoon.  I stood and watched it rootle around for worms and beetles for about five minutes before it noticed me and galloped away.

Tomorrow  - city day, so lots of walking.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, regentrude said:

I have a previous hamstring injury that makes my leg ache when I kayak. It's fine canoeing. I know others, including my dh, who simply cannot sit in an "L" torso to leg position for very long before they get sore. 

It doesn't have much to do with muscles strength, it's the flexibility of hips/hamstrings, back and nearby joints/musculature. 

• Like 2

More hauling yesterday, now it's done and my house has expanded by about 75% so I'm happy about that. I made 25 pies and swam in the ocean which is the only place that cools me down in this heat. While my oven was on anyway I meal prepped about 30 meals worth of food so that felt good. Tomorrow I've planned for a hike but it will be nearly 90 so I may just find a shady walk then head to the ocean.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

I have a previous hamstring injury that makes my leg ache when I kayak. It's fine canoeing. I know others, including my dh, who simply cannot sit in an "L" torso to leg position for very long before they get sore. 

It doesn't have much to do with muscles strength, it's the flexibility of hips/hamstrings, back and nearby joints/musculature. 

Thanks for explaining. I couldn't sit in an "L" position either - your kayak doesn't have adjustable foot rests?

On long trips, I need to change position,  sometimes stretch my legs, sometimes sit with crossed ankles. But most of the time, my legs are vent at the knee and feet braced against the foot rest. We splurged on better seats, too.

Long time in a canoe, my back hurts. But I've only used a rental where you sit without backrest; haven't tried a good canoe seat.

• Like 3

Thanks for explaining. I couldn't sit in an "L" position either - your kayak doesn't have adjustable foot rests?

On long trips, I need to change position,  sometimes stretch my legs, sometimes sit with crossed ankles. But most of the time, my legs are vent at the knee and feet braced against the foot rest. We splurged on better seats, too.

Long time in a canoe, my back hurts. But I've only used a rental where you sit without backrest; haven't tried a good canoe seat.

Yes, even using all the things - adjustable seats, adjustable supports under the thighs to help the knee bend, adjustable foot rests, an additional cusion under my bad leg and changing leg positions - I end up aching. I just keep my paddles around an hour long and local. I have aspirations of a long sea kayak tour on either the west or east coast, but those will have to be dreams for the time being.

It's great that you're able to do those long, amazing kayak trips with your partner! Enjoy them and keep sharing photos of your adventures!! 😊

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got in the 2 dog walks yesterday, and then went out to a ladies birthday dinner at an Asian BBQ restaurant where you cook your own prepared foods at a little grill in the middle of the table. It was delicious and a lot of fun. It was a combination of Japanese and Korean cuisine. The servers bring all the different prepared ingredients, and you place the food on the little grill with tongs. 

o.jpg

• Like 5

I got in 2 dog walks and then did a ton of deep cleaning on the main level and my bedroom/office. So much dust from the dogs!! It was not great for my allergies, but the house looks so much better (at least in this moment). 😊

Sadly, my afternoon ladies doubles tennis was cancelled as the courts needed maintenance from all the rain this week (that hurricane from Texas brought a lot of rain). It's probably for the best, though, as I'm pretty wiped out from the vacuuming, mopping, etc. 

• Like 5

Sunday - I swam for a kilometre then carried on, expecting the klaxon to sound that announces the start of the wave machine at ten. It never came, so I gave up at 1,350 metres when my calf started to cramp. The swimming felt good.

That's all my exercise for the day - I have bits and pieces to do before I go back to work tomorrow. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Hours and hours of canoeing today. It was more than I thought it would be but I held strong. I always enjoy canoeing. We did have a nice interlude about 2/3 through to just play on the beach, which was lovely. 

That sounds like a lot of fun!! Glad you're having a great time!

I had just enough energy this evening to sit and watch ds play beach volleyball. This is the ds who went hiking with me today - oh to be young and able to hike AND play beach vball all in one day! 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2024 at 3:29 PM, wintermom said:

I'd forgotten that my ds asked to go hiking with me today. I created a separate thread with photos in case you want to see. It was a blast!

How sweet, maybe he'll start making it a regular occurrence.

21 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Hours and hours of canoeing today. It was more than I thought it would be but I held strong. I always enjoy canoeing. We did have a nice interlude about 2/3 through to just play on the beach, which was lovely. 

Sounds like you guys are having a lovely time.

On 7/13/2024 at 6:39 AM, regentrude said:

My kayak does have adjustable foot rests but that doesn't help much. If I'm in any sit position too long it's not good. Comfy chairs are the worst but they all will cause tightness in my hip flexors which aggravates my sciatica. Im much less sensitive to it now but I'm still mindful 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Talking to a friend we started chatting about exercise. Long story short, we're doing a lifting program together now (at the same time but on our own). We both needed some inspiration and change. Sunday we did legs and Monday we did Upper body.

I'm still doing some classes but they are more cardio.

The lifting is heavier (lower reps) than I have done since I've been working out at home. I bought myself a barbell for some of the lower body work as I don't have that many dumbbells and some of the exercises it's hard to get heavy enough with dumbbells or uncomfortable (like hip thrusts).

Dd1 joined me for lifting today. Dd1 and dd2 say they want to work out with me but haven't been good about keeping up with it in the past. We'll see.

I tried to do a workout class today but I got the time wrong and couldn't make it work. 

I'm feeling renewed enjoyment with working out after so long of being in a terrible rut. No increase in pain after my lifting session yesterday. I'm hoping that I continue to tolerate it. 

My mom signed up to do the obstacle course race with me. 

• Like 5

@Soror Good for you finding a friend to lift with, and hopefully your dc will join in more and more often. Sounds like a lot of fun that your mom is joining you for the obstacle course race. You and your mom must be a lot younger than my mom and I. Mom is 85 and the only obstacles she 'races' over are sidewalk cracks with her walker. 😂

--------------------------------------------------

Dh and I took the dogs for a walk in the woods this morning Then I played some really fun singles tennis in the evening - 1.5 hrs of hard hitting and a lot of scrambling to get balls. I play some ladies doubles tennis tomorrow morning. I should be fine for that - it'll be dead easy after the singles. 😉 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Soror Good for you finding a friend to lift with, and hopefully your dc will join in more and more often. Sounds like a lot of fun that your mom is joining you for the obstacle course race. You and your mom must be a lot younger than my mom and I. Mom is 85 and the only obstacles she 'races' over are sidewalk cracks with her walker. 😂

--------------------------------------------------

Dh and I took the dogs for a walk in the woods this morning Then I played some really fun singles tennis in the evening - 1.5 hrs of hard hitting and a lot of scrambling to get balls. I play some ladies doubles tennis tomorrow morning. I should be fine for that - it'll be dead easy after the singles. 😉 

LOL I'm 45 and my Mom is 65. She's always been fairly active but the last several years have been rough. She broke her ankle terribly and was laid up for a long time. She barely regained her strength and activity level when my aunt got cancer. She lives down the road and Mom did a lot of her care. She passed after 9 months and a few months after that her long-time boyfriend ended up moving in with my parents so she could help take care of him. It's been around a year since he died and Mom is finally feeling like she has some time to herself. Mom is working on losing the weight she lost from all the stress and not being able to do as much as before (although she is far from lazy and always doing something with various animals and all the work they do around the house). 

Today I'll do a quick walk in the morning and a lower body workout- we'll see if the girls join me like they said they would. I'll probably try for an evening walk too. Dd1 is having issues with reactive hypoglycemic (she's been having trouble with passing out and feeling weak and dizzy- she had to do a glucose tolerance test on Friday and barely made it at the end). So, she's trying to up her activity level and of course watching what she eats (being a teenager that can drive herself and buy her own food she has got in some bad habits- like drinking soda).

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Soror said:

LOL I'm 45 and my Mom is 65. She's always been fairly active but the last several years have been rough. She broke her ankle terribly and was laid up for a long time. She barely regained her strength and activity level when my aunt got cancer. She lives down the road and Mom did a lot of her care. She passed after 9 months and a few months after that her long-time boyfriend ended up moving in with my parents so she could help take care of him. It's been around a year since he died and Mom is finally feeling like she has some time to herself. Mom is working on losing the weight she lost from all the stress and not being able to do as much as before (although she is far from lazy and always doing something with various animals and all the work they do around the house). 

Today I'll do a quick walk in the morning and a lower body workout- we'll see if the girls join me like they said they would. I'll probably try for an evening walk too. Dd1 is having issues with reactive hypoglycemic (she's been having trouble with passing out and feeling weak and dizzy- she had to do a glucose tolerance test on Friday and barely made it at the end). So, she's trying to up her activity level and of course watching what she eats (being a teenager that can drive herself and buy her own food she has got in some bad habits- like drinking soda).

It's interesting the difference between parents who had children younger vs. older.  When I was 45, my mother was 83.  That will be close to the pattern with my kids too - I had them at 33 and 37; Husband was 40 and 44.

I'm sorry your daughter is struggling.

-----------

Today - running errands on foot, plus an extra walk whilst my eyes refocused after visiting the optician.  This evening - gentle yoga class.

• Like 5

Bodyweight circuit x2 and a 15 min wakeup yoga this morning. I plan to walk with dd also--that's usually about 20-30 min. I'm trying to be careful with eating (not perfect, but at least I'm tracking everything) and while one pound dropped off, my weight is very stubbornly staying the same everyday, still about a pound up from where I was at the end of the school year, and ideally I would drop 2 pounds from THAT weight. Sigh. Oh well. I've entered in the plan for today's eating (my fitness pal)--will keep at it.

• Like 5

Howdie!  I am popping back in.  You guys are inspiring.  I haven't been as good as most of you.

Broken record, but I'm trying to get back in to the habit of doing at least 2 different physical things per day.  The hope is to do "yoga etc.," TKD practice, and dog walking.  Recenly, I have been doing 1 or 2 of these but rarely 3.  My work focus is poor, and then it's hard to justify spending time on personal stuff.  So working on my work focus is part of my fitness plan.  😛

I can't remember what I got my weight down to last year, before I lost momentum.  I think I gained back about 4-5 lbs, and I think I've lost about 3 of those lbs in the past week.  I hope to get to maybe 132 before we go on our August trip, and then be responsible enough to get it down to 128 by the end of the (appx 3 week) trip.  I consider 128 to be my "ideal weight."  I have to wear a suit to our annual conference at the end of August, and I hope to be able to wear one that hasn't fit for several years.  I also want to be in decent shape for fall, which is 5K season for us.

I went back to TKD last week, and I have a 2.5-hour "belt camp" this coming Saturday.  Assuming I pass the stripe test, I will then have to review all of the forms that are required for 2nd degree black belt, and take that test.  I don't have a specific goal re when I will become a 2nd degree blackbelt, but I hope to attend classes or seriously practice at home at least 3x per week going forward.

Yesterday, I went back to the optometrist after 10 years.  I told them that I was concerned about some eye issues that run in my genes.  They said there is no indication that I have these problems (so far), and I don't need glasses.  Yay!  I also had fairly healthy numbers last week at the blood bank mini-screening.

I've been trying to get some sun most days, to reduce the impact of touring in July.  I don't know that I've made enough progress there.

• Like 5

I took the dogs for a walk in the woods, and then played 2 hrs of ladies doubles tennis. It was quite fun, but not the same energy as last night's singles match. My body appreciates a little slower pace today, though. 😉

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Soror said:

My mom signed up to do the obstacle course race with me. 

Fun! Go Mom!

Swimming in the ocean is doing amazing things for me, body and soul. There is an inlet that I do laps across, 4 laps might be about 1/4 mile so not super far but it's intensely salty and so makes me very buoyant. I can float on my back and breathe over the rolling waves without spending any energy trying to stay afloat. It's heavenly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eos said:

Fun! Go Mom!

Swimming in the ocean is doing amazing things for me, body and soul. There is an inlet that I do laps across, 4 laps might be about 1/4 mile so not super far but it's intensely salty and so makes me very buoyant. I can float on my back and breathe over the rolling waves without spending any energy trying to stay afloat. It's heavenly.

It sounds so lovely!! Can I ask the location? I'm longing to take a little trip to an ocean next month. Swimming in an inlet sounds amazing! (You can PM me if you prefer)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Eos said:

Fun! Go Mom!

That sounds very lovely.

23 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

It's interesting the difference between parents who had children younger vs. older.  When I was 45, my mother was 83.  That will be close to the pattern with my kids too - I had them at 33 and 37; Husband was 40 and 44.

I'm sorry your daughter is struggling.

-----------

Today - running errands on foot, plus an extra walk whilst my eyes refocused after visiting the optician.  This evening - gentle yoga class.

I was 25.38, 32, and 33. We married early but didn't have kids for 5 years so I'll be in between. There will be pluses and minuses to being older or younger.

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

I took the dogs for a walk in the woods, and then played 2 hrs of ladies doubles tennis. It was quite fun, but not the same energy as last night's singles match. My body appreciates a little slower pace today, though. 😉

Yes, we need the slower days but it's hard to slow down at times when we're in the groove of activity we're enjoying.

• Like 4

Walk this morning and upper body + core

Today is our 25th anniversary- we are doing a stained glass class together this afternoon. Otherwise its a normal day (as far as I know). Our vaca was our big anniversary splurge. Dh is in the midst of a project at work and it's just another school day.

• Like 5

Monday was a long driving day, though we did do a round of mini golf before hitting the road. I don’t think that counts as exercise, though. 😅

Yesterday was a full day and I neglected to prioritize exercise. 

Today I started off properly in the gym for weights and core. 

• Like 5

@Soror Happy Anniversary!

@Harriet Vane And there are days when I would count the mini golf as exercise...

30 min on the treadmill this morning. And finally the stubborn scale went down again. But today I make my first batch of sourdough bread--I think my starter is ready. Portion control, portion control, portion control...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1