Menu

Recommend travel pants (and other garments?) for a hot, sunny trip (for sun protection and comfort), please!

SKL

We're going to be in Europe in August.  It's gonna be very hot and sunny.  I worry about sunburn and just general heat misery.

I'm 57, about average size.  I like the idea of "natural" stuff, but not if it's insanely expensive.  Love walking and hiking.

This will be a 1 week road trip followed by a 1.5 week cruise.  Hoping to travel relatively light.

Ideas?

Posted (edited)

There's some kind of LL Bean pant that always gets recommended here and I finally got a pair and they sound perfect for this. Super light weight material and a comfortable waist. I'm blanking on the name, but I'm sure someone else will be along with it.

eta: Vista Camp Pants. They come in different lengths and cuts. They're expensive (to me) and I never would have bought them for myself, but now that I was gifted a pair, I'd say they're worth it.

Edited by KSera

I really love my Duluth Flexpeditions for travel. I am not sure how well they go in hot and sunny, but they are my absolute favorite pants for travel and hiking. They dry super quick, the side pockets are awesome for stowing my phone, they don’t wrinkle, and if they get dirty, you can pretty much just brush it off. One pair I have is black and one is grey. The black are subtle enough they can pass for dressed up for dinner. Not sure if they would be too hot but I would try it myself. 

Costco has some travel pants in store currently. They are cropped just slightly above the ankle. Look neat and tidy, don’t wrinkle, seem to be easy to hand wash, quick dry. Has a clever disguised front zipper pocket on the thigh. Colors are black, a lighter teal blue and a lighter orange. Price is $15-ish? Can’t remember. I bought 3 pairs.

• Thanks 1

I have found lightweight travel/hiking pants at Columbia, Cabela's, Bass Pro, REI, and Academy.  I have a couple of very lightweight pair of Capri-length pants that are easy to wash/dry when traveling and have zippered pockets.  I also have a couple of travel scotter skirts.  Lightweight dresses without a waist band can be cooler than pants (but pants help prevent chafing).  Airy, loose summer beach pants are lightweight and can be dressed up or down.  A light shawl can cover shoulders and provide sun protection when necessary.

When we were in Egypt, my favorite clothes were wide leg linens pants (usually blended with a little cotton which made them soft), and loose linen tops or chambray, even Batiste or what is known as lawn, all which are very soft, thinner cottons. The sun was so strong that everything was long sleeve, and I wore a sun hat that I could pull my pony tail through in the back. Amazon sells several styles. Mine was rather wide brimmed. I was fairly certain I would be a lobster if I didn't stay covered. I few times I wore some gauzey scarves instead of the hat, and I never to say that was a great method of saving my hair from frying in the sun. Mark even wore an Egyptian cotton Galabeya.

JJill has some very nice, very pretty linen pieces, mix and match. They are pricey though. I do think they would last a long time as their things seem to be high quality.