Menu

cordless vacuum cleaner...recommendations needed

I would rather sweep over vacuuming any day...but because we are moving into a rental with LOTS of carpet I want to find a good cordless vacuum cleaner.  

I currently own a small cordless, but I know it's not the best in the world.  The home we are moving into has 3 floors (upstairs, main floor (plus a very large sunroom) and full basement) and every floor is carpeted except the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room and main hall way.  The home is about 4000 square feet in total...so that is a lot of carpet. 

AND I hate corded vacuums.  I have toyed with the rumba idea....but with 3 floors, I didn't know just how practical that would be.  

Does anybody have a suggestion for a good, cordless vacuum that wouldn't kill me to haul up and down stairs?  I know I might be asking for too much....but I am hoping not. 

Thank you for any suggestions.

Posted (edited)

My dh, a great lover of power tools, bought himself a Miele cordless vacuum. It *does* work well, however it has a limited battery capacity. You also have to clean out the dust bin (which fills quickly). It's better suited to things like stairs, quick clean up, odd locations.

18 minutes ago, ProudGrandma said:

rumba

I adore my roomba. It's particularly suited so solid floors and I love how the little whiskers on the side get under baseboards to really CLEAN your space. If you have pets or asthma/allergies, it makes it easy to hit a button and start. I use mine in my bedroom for that reason, because I can hit go and walk away and have it asthma/allergy clean.

On carpet the roomba is a mixed bag. I have hardwood and solid floors throughout with area rugs in various places. After using the roomba for some time (at least a year?) I went back to using a vacuum on my area rugs. I have asthma, so I need them clean. I think your satisfaction with a roomba with carpet would depend on the pile depth. You might alternate 3 weeks roomba, 1 week traditional vacuum.

18 minutes ago, ProudGrandma said:

I hate corded vacuums.  

You hate the weight or dealing with the cord? I hate the NOISE of vacuums, which gives me headaches, so my dh finally switched us over to Mieles. They have a snazzy auto retract for the cord that works well and they're blessedly quiet. If you dislike weight, going to a canister vac might help as well. 

As far as the 3 floors, it's not really a trouble to carry the roomba up and down. 

I like my roomba because it clones me, allowing me to do multiple things at once. I can start it in one place and go work (sweeping or dusting) in another. You might find some combination of tools works well for you, given the size of your new house. 🙂

Edited by PeterPan

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

You hate the weight or dealing with the cord?

both.  I don't want to haul a heavy machine around and I hate the cord.  I don't like getting tangled.....I don't like needing to find a new outlet because I went too far from the place I just plugged it....I simply just can not do cords.  

I will check into the roomba....maybe that would be the answer....I guess I could carry it up and down the stairs and set it to vacuum each floor.  

thanks. 

I am super happy with my Dyson cordless stick vac. It’s honestly one of the best gifts anyone ever gave me. I’ve had it four or five years, and the battery is still totally adequate, which surprises me. If I could change one thing about it, it would be the design of the hand trigger. My hands do get a little tired holding the button down, and sometimes I trigger it accidentally when I’m carrying it from one place to another, but that might be a me problem. I don’t know that I could do 4000 ft.² on one charge. I’m never doing more vacuuming at one time than I’ve been able to do on a charge, but I’m not vacuuming that amount of space. I do often have to empty the dust canister partway through, because we have pets that shed a lot, but it has a super easy empty mechanism and it doesn’t bother me to have to pause and do that. 

I was worried that the battery would need replacing after too short of time, so I have been aware to take care of the battery. The main thing about that is that if I’ve been doing a big vacuuming job to the point the vacuum feels heated up, I don’t put it back on the charger until it has cooled down.

• Like 1

Another vote for an automatic vacuum. I have a Shark mop/vac combo. It does a pretty good job on carpet (short pile + mid length pile here) and all the hard surfaces. I like that it will mop for me too!  I also appreciate that I can have it do one room multiple times a day and the guest bedrooms once a week.  I'm not sure how this would work with three floors, but if I could afford it, I'd just get three. 

That said, we currently have a cat (DD's - we've had this guy all this year so far, may have him for longer) and DH is allergic, so I need everything vacuumed daily as cat has long hair. I still come through with my corded Dyson and vacuum every week or two and still get cat hair up. 

1 hour ago, ProudGrandma said:

I have never heard of a Eufy. 

Neither had I, but a friend had one on each floor running daily for a year when she recommended it to me. It was an Amazon Black Friday impulse buy on my part and I have zero regrets. I might get an upstairs one. I got this one.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Neither had I, but a friend had one on each floor running daily for a year when she recommended it to me. It was an Amazon Black Friday impulse buy on my part and I have zero regrets. I might get an upstairs one. I got this one.

can I carry this to another floor to use from time to time?  What would happen when it's done on a floor that doesn't have the little home base thing....will it just stop?   I just read a review that when the wheels get all sorts of hair and gunk in them you can't clean them....is that true?  I have longer hair and I can see that being an issue...unless it's really not. 

Edited by ProudGrandma

32 minutes ago, ProudGrandma said:

can I carry this to another floor to use from time to time?  What would happen when it's done on a floor that doesn't have the little home base thing....will it just stop?   I just read a review that when the wheels get all sorts of hair and gunk in them you can't clean them....is that true?  I have longer hair and I can see that being an issue...unless it's really not. 

You can absolutely carry it to another floor and just push the start button. I do it all the time. In fact I’d recommend you do that so you’re only buying one and seeing how you like it. The wheels get hair in them, but you clean it like any vacuum. It comes with a little brush/seam ripper tool to make this easier. It’s also really easy to just remove the spinning brush, get the hair off, then pop it back in. There’s no vacuum belt to deal with so you just pop it out and pop it back in. 

53 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

You can absolutely carry it to another floor and just push the start button. I do it all the time. In fact I’d recommend you do that so you’re only buying one and seeing how you like it. The wheels get hair in them, but you clean it like any vacuum. It comes with a little brush/seam ripper tool to make this easier. It’s also really easy to just remove the spinning brush, get the hair off, then pop it back in. There’s no vacuum belt to deal with so you just pop it out and pop it back in. 

thank you.  Makes me wonder what was wrong with that one person who wrote the review.   I trust you guys here before I trust any amazon reviewer.  

Our central vac had issues with the suction a year ago so I bought a cordless vac from Costco. It seemed to be the best option in an affordable price range (Dyson was out of the question). It works ok, but we have three dogs and a LOT of dirt gets brought into the house, not to mention dog and cat hair. The dirt recepticle is far too small for our house. I have to empty it multiple times with every use. It's a PITA. Not to mention the suction strength is no where near our central vac (when it's working).

Now that dh fixed the central vac, I've gone back to appreciating dragging the hose around so that I actually clean the house instead of the pretend act afforded by the whimpy cordless.

Invest in something really good, especially if you have a lot of material to clean, would be my recommendation. 😉 

1 hour ago, ProudGrandma said:

thank you.  Makes me wonder what was wrong with that one person who wrote the review.   I trust you guys here before I trust any amazon reviewer.  

Friday was actually the first time I took the rotating brush out to clean it.  I wasn’t sure how involved it would be, but it was so easy I’ll just do it that way from now on. It was as easy as popping a beater into a hand mixer. 

It makes me ridiculously pleased to have a floor that is swept every day and not by me. It’s been six months and I’m still not over it.