Menu

Things that make you go, huh?

2 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

No I have an iphone.  I deleted most apps off of my phone a long time ago. 

Might want to put the apple weather one back on then, especially as you travel a bit. The alerts work wherever your phone is under the setup I gave you. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Might want to put the apple weather one back on then, especially as you travel a bit. The alerts work wherever your phone is under the setup I gave you. 

Ok, I will try to figure it out.  Right now I just use weather channel on safari...  I wish I could delete safari from my phone.  I really want to buy a dumb phone so I won't waste time on crap like this. 

Ok, I think I will just ask hubby to make sure he has alerts set up on HIS phone.  He sleeps with his.  I have mine in another room.  Half the time I don't know where my phone is and I like it that way.  So I will make sure he has his set up.  I really don't want to put the app on mine. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

To put it back on your iphone, go to App Store, search “Weather”. It’s the icon with the sun poking out behind a cloud and the maker (name next to the little person icon) is Apple. 

The Weather Channel would be another decent app, but I am not sure how their alert system works. With Apple location services I know I am getting alerts for wherever I am and as I travel a bit, it’s important.ETA:  Never mind: the reviews on this one are scathing.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

5 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Ok, I think I will just ask hubby to make sure he has alerts set up on HIS phone.  He sleeps with his.  I have mine in another room.  Half the time I don't know where my phone is and I like it that way.  So I will make sure he has his set up.  I really don't want to put the app on mine. 

Sounds like a good plan! Knowing I will get alerts lets me not have to check in regularly. If something pops up, my phone will go off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

Uggh.  Well never mind. The weather service just revised us to 95 percent chance of severe weather including super cell tornados. I guess it won't get here until after midnight.  Won't be sleeping much tonight. 

That’s why they give the marginal warnings, so you are paying attention when it suddenly goes from 20% to 95%, and maybe some people needed those extra few hours to prepare.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

That’s why they give the marginal warnings, so you are paying attention when it suddenly goes from 20% to 95%, and maybe some people needed those extra few hours to prepare.  

No telling us to start watching at 8am was overkill.   Now warning us at 3:30/4ish that the storms will be here after 10pm.  Fine.  It is severe enough.  But making me watch all day today is not cool and makes me want to ignore them.  But like I said, when I got up, there was NO rain developing on future cast or on the hourly forecast all day.  That is what didn't make sense.  How could we be in danger when nothing was being predicted. It made no sense.  This latest warning makes sense. 

4 hours ago, freesia said:

And now there are phone alerts.

Our local emergency management sends out phone alerts (amber alert sound) if there is a warning. That has helped me relax a lot more and not feel like I have to keep checking all day--though I do keep a closer watch when they spend the day warning us there is potential for a significant event. I can keep it in mind and run through a routine mentally, such as get my errands earlier, etc., without ruminating on it.

• Like 1

Ignore Apple’s weather app. Download Aaron Tuttle’s AT Weather App. It will give you warnings 5 minutes before other apps, and often give you a warning when there’s not a NWS warning at all. Have the warnings for your current location on, with location services always on. Have your phone charging on your nightstand. You can safely go to sleep and his app will give you enough warning. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Katy said:

Ignore Apple’s weather app. Download Aaron Tuttle’s AT Weather App. It will give you warnings 5 minutes before other apps, and often give you a warning when there’s not a NWS warning at all. Have the warnings for your current location on, with location services always on. Have your phone charging on your nightstand. You can safely go to sleep and his app will give you enough warning. 

This! Aaron Tuttle is the most reliable and accurate meteorologist I've ever come across. He does not exaggerate just to manipulate people or get their attention, like so many others do. He knows what he's doing, for real, and he only talks about bad things coming if it is true, so people can do whatever they can for safety.

Edited by TarynB

Usually I don't appreciate the super early it might not even happen warnings, but I see the use. Stuff like maybe I had thoughts about a big beach day; I might switch those plans if big waves and wind might happen or prepare the house a little bit like move some stuff that might blow into my neighbors yard to elsewhere, etc. Otherwise I see the alert if the chances aren't high of the danger happening then I go about my day. My phone has emergency alerted me the times when danger is really eminent. 

I also live in a place where one of the biggest "dangers" we had for a long time basically can't be predicted (earthquakes). My other dangerous weather situations I've lived with is Typhoons and Wildfires. Both of those they sort of see it move and get close. Sure a few times we'd prepare and hunker down for a big typhoon and it ends up going elsewhere instead, but it's a big enough danger and happens often enough we still prepare for it each time. Plus when you live in an area with those threats you are always a bit prepared for the danger.

8 hours ago, Katy said:

I will try that. But no, not putting my phone in my room at night. Just not. It makes me mad that my husband is on his phone most of the night.

We got nothing.  Barely any thunder and not much rain. All that angst.  I really should just ignore itall.

30 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I will try that. But no, not putting my phone in my room at night. Just not. It makes me mad that my husband is on his phone most of the night.

We got nothing.  Barely any thunder and not much rain. All that angst.  I really should just ignore itall.

Well then have him put the app on his phone. You get the benefits of the weather alarm without your phone in your room. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Katy said:

Well then have him put the app on his phone. You get the benefits of the weather alarm without your phone in your room. 

Oh my goodness...the ads.....  I put it on my phone.  He has other weather apps on his phone.  But oh my goodness, it is hard to see the content for the adds for flamingo floodworks, latamoverland.com, trailer equipment.   Etc.

Any way to get rid of those and it is confusing.  How do I just see my stuff.  Do you have it set up a special way?

50 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Oh my goodness...the ads.....  I put it on my phone.  He has other weather apps on his phone.  But oh my goodness, it is hard to see the content for the adds for flamingo floodworks, latamoverland.com, trailer equipment.   Etc.

Any way to get rid of those and it is confusing.  How do I just see my stuff.  Do you have it set up a special way?

If you have it set up for notifications then you don’t ever have to look at it. It will alert you. IMO your choices are:

1. Figure out how to deal with your anxiety. 
2. Just deal with the app bc it will help you not fixate and ruminate all day. 
3. Rely on your dh’s phone. 
All of the above are possible solutions. You can chose to not be so black and white about your phone use and see its benefit in managing your anxiety. Or not. But you aren’t stuck here. Not liking or wanting your phone in your room does not negate its use as a tool to serve you. You can use it or not. You can try it and see. If you need help setting your notifications so you don’t get text/phone calls at night, we can help you with that. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, freesia said:

If you have it set up for notifications then you don’t ever have to look at it. It will alert you. IMO your choices are:

1. Figure out how to deal with your anxiety. 
2. Just deal with the app bc it will help you not fixate and ruminate all day. 
3. Rely on your dh’s phone. 
All of the above are possible solutions. You can chose to not be so black and white about your phone use and see its benefit in managing your anxiety. Or not. But you aren’t stuck here. Not liking or wanting your phone in your room does not negate its use as a tool to serve you. You can use it or not. You can try it and see. If you need help setting your notifications so you don’t get text/phone calls at night, we can help you with that. 

Yeah, I normally don't ruminate all day.  Yesterday was an off day.  And I slept through the night. So I have notification set up.  So now I won't think about it anymore. And like I said, my husband has his set to go off and it didn't. So we are good. Honestly, only when there are really severe cells nearby do I normally worry.  Most of the time I don't.  I was just completely overwhelmed yesterday.  Today is much better.  I promise. I normally just put it out of my mind.  I wasted way too much energy on this yesterday.  So now my phone is set up on that app you recommended.  Glad I won't have to really look at it.  And hubby has it set up on his weather app.  We are good. 

• Like 2

The ads are not there if you’re in danger of severe weather. He turns them off then. Yes, you can buy paid access and get rid of the ads. I don’t remember how. 

• Like 1

@Katy  Just got a severe thunderstorm watch alert on my apple watch.  So, I won't need to have my phone in the room to get the notifications.  Yeah!  (I don't get notifications for much on my phone, not texts, emails or anything, so nothing like that goes through my watch.)

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

@Katy  Just got a severe thunderstorm watch alert on my apple watch.  So, I won't need to have my phone in the room to get the notifications.  Yeah!  (I don't get notifications for much on my phone, not texts, emails or anything, so nothing like that goes through my watch.)

I always charge mine at night so I forgot the notifications come to my watch too. I’m so glad it’s helping 

• Like 1