Menu

Physics for a future STEM student who hates physics?

My 16-year old is convinced that she really doesn't like physics. She started a dry, algebra-based, physics course two-ish years ago and ended up instead veering off track with a deep dive into astronomy (which she loved) rather than finishing it. She's always self-studying, reading books, or watching videos about lots of different science topics -- even physics related ones as long as they don't have physics in the title. Since her intended major (neuroscience/biochem/chemistry) will almost certainly require a physics sequence, I want to make sure she has at least had an exposure to the basics before she gets to college, but it doesn't need to be a "credit worthy" class. She will already have at least six science credits by the time she graduates. She has taken calculus, so it can be calculus-based, algebra-based, or even just concept-based, videos, books, etc. My main goal is for it to be engaging so she doesn't shy away from what she really wants to study in college or do for a living just because she doesn't want to take physics. TIA!! 

Edited by Kristini2

Are you able to help at all? 
This is another interesting take. It teaches with problems. I didn’t have as much luck with this text but in knowledgeable hands, it can be very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Physics-Understandable-Practical-Reality/dp/0935218084/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3GHYLMP8UBZSZ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.v-dDQgVYZEm2rmWPRes5DW3pfBs3xrMLXURV8P4mVkjkpVim1t0w0IYFoylCT-z5c_KuXdpvt-2kLHCkmfDejnV1tdgdvIs_3fBBjrFDIlkLiQgP6cA13wZ3czrS4jNRsf6c1riezJmbSdIeWDvMEEWO-Y5JuNU56D7WNt6UEjVNzC0wxQbkktLG4HMNCvtw9m9J80DqE9mFdI7V0NKCug.KY6E4iMzJZ1mM8gAXEMt051wisLGHt6v8QxlBuuGSBY&dib_tag=se&keywords=thinking+physics&qid=1712007690&sprefix=thinking+physics%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-1

also Gamow books are fun reads and really got my kid into physics. Along with @MorningGlory Jetta and her wonderful class that uses conceptual physics. He is now a physics major and pretty much wants to do nothing else. 

Have you thought of looking into a research/internship/summer camp experience at a college or university? 

You'll have to look for what's available near you, or not near you, but within your budget. I did a summer program in my teens where I did research alongside an astrophysics professor. Super engaging.

Unless you test out of physics in college, the first class you take in physics will be the fundamentals (just faster, material/questions will be harder, with someone who has a PhD in physics).  FWIW I went to public school where a biology teacher taught my physics class (teacher was sometimes stumped by what we were suppose to be learning and plenty of gaps), I still passed the Intro to Physics for STEM majors course in college. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Are you able to help at all? 

He is now a physics major and pretty much wants to do nothing else. 

That looks like an interesting book too. I knew there would be someone on this board who could help me find what I was struggling to find. Thank you so much! It's possible I could help, but it has been a long time since I took physics. That said, my oldest is a physics grad student now. When the oldest has time, she is happy to help her younger siblings with anything physics or math. She can't understand why baby sister doesn't love it like she does though. lol!!

4 hours ago, Clarita said:

Have you thought of looking into a research/internship/summer camp experience at a college or university? 

FWIW I went to public school where a biology teacher taught my physics class (teacher was sometimes stumped by what we were suppose to be learning and plenty of gaps), I still passed the Intro to Physics for STEM majors course in college. 

Thank you!! That is an interesting idea, though I know if she were to do an internship she'd want something to do with brains. The kid loves learning anything and everything about brains, and we have a lot of medical stuff around so that would be easier to find. Though I imagine they do have some physics stuff as my oldest was able to do an REU one summer at the local state flagship. 

Also, my high school only had physics taught by the biology teacher too. Must be more common than I thought. 

Edited by Kristini2
  • Like 1

I agree with finding an engaging Physics program for her or even engaging supplements while she is still in high school.

She is going to need a LOT of Physics for her intended major-- once you get into neuroscience everything is circuits-- and this means Physics!

My youngest is a Sr Neuroscience/neuro-biology major at Colorado State University...   my dd was able to land a lab job (unpaid first semester then paid after that) in a neuroscience research lab starting her Sophomore year-- brains/brain cells (especially mice brain cells!) everywhere!  The focus of her lab has been Parkinson's research but they are now switching over to pain response with focus on CRPS  (my dd has this!) to assist my dd in her research and hopefully grad-school research!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, EKS said:

Have you seen The Mechanical Universe series? 

I had not seen this. Thank you!! 

4 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

She is going to need a LOT of Physics for her intended major-- once you get into neuroscience everything is circuits-- and this means Physics!

Oh, that's an interesting idea of how I might approach this!! I wonder if I could find a physics that focuses on brains, that is aimed at high school students. That would almost certainly get her excited about physics. If not, I'll make sure to cover electricity/circuits with her before she goes to college. Thank you!

Cow’s eye dissection as part of a unit on optics is super, super cool.  You’ve already worked with ground glass lenses, and then you find out that a mammal lens works the same way.  I can’t think of anything more engaging in physics at the high school level for a biology kid.  (Lots of instructions on the dissection online.  You can then use the lens to do basic refraction experiments.)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Cow’s eye dissection as part of a unit on optics is super, super cool.  

Guess who’s wants to study optics now?!? I don’t know why I didn’t think of trying to focus on biological applications for physics concepts. She’d much rather do things like this than hearing about people pushing pianos off cliffs. Thank you!!

• Like 1