Menu

Latex is pronounced latek???!!

I pronounce it as lay-tax when it comes to allergies. 
https://www.bates.edu/mathematics/resources/what-is-latex/#:~:text=“Lamport [LaTeX's creator] never,see the rules for TeX).

Pronouncing “LaTeX”: fun facts!

The pronunciation of “LaTeX” is more controversial than you might think. We found a whole web page of TeX Frequently Asked Questions. Their comments are:

1. “Lamport [LaTeX’s creator] never recommended how one should pronounce LaTeX, but a lot of people pronounce it ‘Lay TeX’ or perhaps ‘Lah TeX’ (with TeX pronounced as the program itself; see the rules for TeX). It is definitely not to be pronounced in the same way as the rubber-tree gum.”
  2. (From The Rules for TeX😞 “The ‘X’ stands for the lower case Greek letter Chi (the upper-case Greek letter doesn’t look in the least like a letter “X”) and is pronounced by English-speakers either a bit like the ‘ch’ in the Scots word ‘loch’ ([x] in the IPA) or like ‘k’. It definitely is not pronounced ‘ks’.”
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

When I was learning LaTeX in the 1990s, I went to a bookstore to see if I could find a book to use for reference. The bookstore employee got irked about the pronunciation vs spelling thing when I was trying to explain what I was looking for so that he could check their computer catalog. 

• Like 1