Menu

ugh, I should have specified

DawnM

I posted to our freebie group that I was going to be visiting an orphanage this summer and asked for donations.   One mom enthusiastically gave me a huge garbage bag full of clothing.

Welp, after 5 min. in the car I knew I was going to have to toss them.   They reeked of heavy, heavy cigarette smoke.   I took them home and washed them on heavy duty with detergent and vinegar and they came out only mildly better smelling.

They are headed to the garbage.  I hate that, but I don't know what else to do.

• Sad 4

It's the tar and nicotine sticking to the clothes.  If you want to salvage, put them in a soak with a lot of vinegar or Oxiclean to loosen it all up before washing, not the vinegar in the wash.  I might add a bit of Dawn to it as well.

Oldest ds struggled with some detergents.  We'd have to soak, then wash, then wash with baking soda.  I stopped going to thrift store for their clothes because it was just so much to do before he could wear them.

• Like 2

Before you toss them try the new Downy  Rinse and Refresh (that sounds like an ad 🤦‍♀️).  I’ve been really impressed with it, it’s suppose to work like concentrated vinegar. I don’t know about that but it really seems to help smells.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Do you think something like Clorox Laundry Sanitizer might work? (Lysol makes it, too, but I have never tried that brand.) 

The only thing with the sanitizer is that it has a pretty strong smell of its own.

I’ve used that and like it.  

• Like 2

Thanks guys, but the clothing wasn't even in great condition.  They are all in the trash now.   I have had some asthma issues since they came into my house and I am not messing with them anymore.

I hate cigarette smoke!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

After our experience starting a charity focused on asylum seekers and refugees, I totally understand how donations can definitely be the second wave of any disaster.  The amount of time it required to sort through donations and what was useful was a LOT.  It was pretty overwhelming.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Terabith said:

After our experience starting a charity focused on asylum seekers and refugees, I totally understand how donations can definitely be the second wave of any disaster.  The amount of time it required to sort through donations and what was useful was a LOT.  It was pretty overwhelming.

People get SO offended when I point that out. When we had fires up here, a local homeschool group started collecting all sorts of donations, including stuffed animals. I tried to temper it but then I became the bad guy because they were “just trying to help.”

• Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 5:16 PM, Terabith said:

True, and several who said they would deliver have not done it.

And I have people wanting to donate things like a Monopoly game!   For special ed kids with cognitive disabilities, who don't necessarily speak much English, can't count or read.......sigh.

• Like 1