Menu

I hate car insurance! There. I got that off my chest.

Youngest ds had to get a different car because his 98 Camry is starting to have too many mechanical issues to be reliable. He has been with Geico for 2 years. Boy, talk about not rewarding current customers who have good credit AND have never been late with a payment or even made a claim. For a 2012 car -owned - no loan - decent credit score, no accidents, no tickets, no nothing, medium policy plan, above the Michigan minimum but not anything close to a primo plan, $1000 deductible on collision, $500 on comprehensive, no towing or roadside assistance included - they wanted $7000 a year!!! 😠😠😠😠

So we had him run some online quotes from other companies. $243 a month. $3000 a year. Less than half.

Geico lost a customer tonight. Sheesh. 

Same with banks upping fees on loyal, long time customers. But those same customers can switch banks and get discounts. It is like a never ending game of poaching. It gets old. Very very old dealing with the shenanigans and having to switch companies every couple of years.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, SHP said:

What type of car did he get? Kia's and Hyundai's are almost impossible to insure at this point 

An equinox. We told him to avoid those two. My nephew lives in Baltimore, and he said no one can get insurance on them because they are ridiculously easy to steal.

Unfortunately it pays to shop around for car insurance. Unfortunately because I hate to call around and ask for quotes. 
But yes, insurance is ridiculously high. 

Interesting side note: We moved my MIL from Indiana to TX. Her auto insurance - same general coverage except to Texas requirements - was about $300 more a year. 

I know that within TX some counties have higher insurance rates  - Harris county - aka Houston has very high rates, rural TX much less so.  So I guess it may be interesting when moving to ask your current agent for quotes for a couple of different counties wherever you are moving. 

• Like 1

Oh yes, I can relate. Our rates doubled one year -- no claims, no late payments, no issues -- and we called to ask could they do anything. We had been customers for over 20 yrs. Faithful, loyal, adding our kids, no claims, no late payments.  "No, sorry, costs are going up for things and so insurance costs are just rising nationwide....."  Nothing. Not even an offer to look and check, not even an offer to go over our coverage with us and see if we could adjust things there to get the monthly/annual cost down. Nothing. 

We did some quotes, switched over (for less), and have been happy since.  When we hit a rate increase there and called, they immediately offered to at least help us review our coverage (we had tons of coverage on cars that really don't need it anymore). 

Update:

When he talked to the agent of the new insurance company, they offered him a deal to move his renter's insurance and take out a small life insurance policy, and the bundle of all 3 is $30 less than the original quote for just the car insurance. He is very happy, and put his next oldest brother, the archeologists grad school student who will never have the same level of income as he has, as the beneficiary of the policy which really warmed my heart. He said if increases the amount in the future, he is going to add his nephews.

I am having a very nice day knowing this worked out after so many quotes all day yesterday.

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 13

Just now, footballmom said:

Geico did the same thing to us, when we added teen drivers during the Covid years when people were barely leaving their house. We had been with them for over 20 years. We saved more than half by switching.

It is so disgusting to be treated that way after years of loyalty. I really hate the way corporations treat their customer base.

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

It is so disgusting to be treated that way after years of loyalty. I really hate the way corporations treat their customer base.

Completely completely agree. We moved 3 policies away from them and did the same thing your DS did - asked if they wanted to rerun their quote since we were shopping around. My only regret is not switching sooner.

• Like 1

GEICO also did the same thing to us.  And we've been with them since 1979 with good records, etc.  And I was on my father's GEICO policy before that, so I've been with them even longer with a good record and it made no difference. 

Also, we've lived all over the country and these drastic rate hikes seem to be a more recent thing with GEICO as far as I can tell - unrelated to location, generally.     

The only actual experience I have had with Geico was when our car was hit and we had problems getting them to pay when we had been stopped and the person ran into us.  I think USAA just decided they would pay first and go after Geico because the delay was ridiculous.