Menu

New foam for couch cushions

I spend a lot of time on my couch (I’m not proud) and the comfort level is going downhill. I was thinking I need to replace it, but the frame is in good shape and the fabric looks decent. Now I’m thinking that I could just replace the foam and it would renew the whole thing. 

Has anyone done this? Do you have any advice as to where to purchase the foam and what type to get? Is this something I can get from JoAnn’s or do I need a special source? I’m willing to put some money into it if it means I’m not shopping for a new sofa. 

I've never replaced couch cushions, but I don't see why you couldn't. I have ordered foam from thefoamfactory.com on multiple occasions and have been very satisfied with their products and services. For seat cushions I would probably get the Lux high quality foam.

Edited by eagleynne
Fixed the website link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did this last summer.  In fact, IIRC, I asked the same questions as you on this very same board and got some very helpful advice.

DH ordered the foam on amazon: this is what we ultimately bought.  However, we discovered that we also needed to add quite a bit of batting to both sides of the cushion, especially the top; otherwise, the seat was too low.

An electric knife works MUCH better than does an electric saw to cut the foam.

It was kind of an annoying project, but it was certainly cost-effective and my couch looks and feels a million times better.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I spend a lot of time on my couch (I’m not proud) and the comfort level is going downhill. I was thinking I need to replace it, but the frame is in good shape and the fabric looks decent. Now I’m thinking that I could just replace the foam and it would renew the whole thing. 

Has anyone done this? Do you have any advice as to where to purchase the foam and what type to get? Is this something I can get from JoAnn’s or do I need a special source? I’m willing to put some money into it if it means I’m not shopping for a new sofa. 

check for foam shops in your area.  They will have a better idea of the best type of foam for your application.  Even if you have to drive a bit, they should be a better fit.
I wouldn't use JoAnn's for this.  Their selection of foam is pretty slim for what is available on the market.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

check for foam shops in your area.  They will have a better idea of the best type of foam for your application.  Even if you have to drive a bit, they should be a better fit.
I wouldn't use JoAnn's for this.  Their selection of foam is pretty slim for what is available on the market.

It never even occurred to me that a foam shop existed. There’s one about 12 miles from me and they do same day service. You just bring in your cushions and go home with newly stuffed ones. Who knew? Not me!  Apparently it’s not even that expensive. All I have to do is call them and ask about a good time to come in then get emotionally prepared to drive to  Baltimore with my cushions. I definitely have a plan now. I just need to put it on the calendar so it’ll happen. 

Thank you ALL!

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 5

Sounds like you are set, but just in case, we replaced the foam in our couch seat cushions (it's a tightback so no back cushions) and it was great. Dh handled it all so I'm not sure where he ordered from, but it was online. They came in the mail perfectly sized and we just zipped them in. They were much firmer than our old cushions (not sure if he ordered them that way) and we've gotten several more years out of our sofa. The sofa is good quality and has lasted at least fifteen years now.

ETA I can ask him where he ordered from if you want the info, and he might remember.

Edited by livetoread

2 hours ago, livetoread said:

Sounds like you are set, but just in case, we replaced the foam in our couch seat cushions (it's a tightback so no back cushions) and it was great. Dh handled it all so I'm not sure where he ordered from, but it was online. They came in the mail perfectly sized and we just zipped them in. They were much firmer than our old cushions (not sure if he ordered them that way) and we've gotten several more years out of our sofa. The sofa is good quality and has lasted at least fifteen years now.

ETA I can ask him where he ordered from if you want the info, and he might remember.

Ohhh, please ask. I can definitely measure and zip.  

• 2 weeks later...

I did it. I took all 8 cushions (sofa and chair)to a foam store this morning and now I’m sitting on what looks and feels like a brand new couch.  They cut the foam, wrapped new batting, disposed of the old foam, and had the new foam zipped into the covers when I picked it up this evening.

When he told me the price this morning, I almost panicked and left, but I went ahead with it and I’m so glad right now. It probably would have been wiser to measure and order and DIY it to save some money, but right now I’m just not sorry. It feels good to cross it off my list and the “new couch” is much more comfortable. We also don’t have any more feathers sticking out the back cushions. I could sleep on this couch now and it was t good for sleeping before. 

• Like 6