Menu

If you have a mirrorless camera or DSLR, what do you have and do you like it?

DawnM

I have an older Canon DSLR.....10mpix.   It is a nice camera, but I need something that takes video and mine does not.

Starting to research and see what it is I would like to get.   I think I want to stick to Canon so I can use the lenses I already have, but you can certainly tell me what you have if it isn't a Canon.

Debating mirrorless as a body replacement.  I know I will need the adapter.   

I need something that will allow for good sports shots, fast moving, etc...but also decent in lower light.   I am on the hunt!

I do, I got it for Christmas 5 years ago, it’s a Nikon. But I’m useless because I literally stopped using a separate camera the day I got it and switched to using my phone all the time. I used to love photography, but my youngest son needed so much attention, therapy, legal visits, etc, that I got out of the habit of picking it up. 

• Sad 1

I have a Nikon dslr that has sat largely untouched since I got my iphone pro. If you do a lot of post processing work, then, yes, dslr is the way to go. If you take photos and occasionally blow a landscape up to canvas without a lot of touching up, a recent iphone is probably all you need. Apple ProRaw is the best point and shoot thing out there….on par with an entry level mirrorless or dslr. Once you get to a $5-10k setup with dslr and do post shot adjustments, then the dslr blows the iphone pro away, imo…especially with focused zoom motion video. 

• Like 1

I have an older (discontinued) entry level DSLR and I love it. It's a Nikon D5600 and has more features than I use but it's great for learning. I mostly like amateur nature photography and am not good at taking photos of people. My phone has an amazing camera but the DSLR lets me do more when I'm on a nature walk. It has a crop sensor rather than full frame but I'm okay with that at least for now.

I have a friend who started with a model a bit earlier than mine (D5500 I think). She eventually went to a full frame Nikon and recently bought a mirrorless. AFAIK she uses both depending on what she's photographing. She's way better at photography than I am.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I have an older Canon DSLR.....10mpix.   It is a nice camera, but I need something that takes video and mine does not.

Starting to research and see what it is I would like to get.   I think I want to stick to Canon so I can use the lenses I already have, but you can certainly tell me what you have if it isn't a Canon.

Debating mirrorless as a body replacement.  I know I will need the adapter.   

I need something that will allow for good sports shots, fast moving, etc...but also decent in lower light.   I am on the hunt!

TL:DR

For what you are describing I would probably go with Sony, based on what I learned when I did my research not that long ago. 

IMNSHO just go mirrorless. I was hesitant at first but so glad I took the leap. Rent first if possible. At minimum put your hands on it and practice adjusting the exposure triangle without taking the camera off your subject. 

I use Fujifilm xt5 professionally and it has been absolutely more than enough even with "just" a crop sensor. I would be happy to DM you with samples and show you what I do with my work so you can see the level of detail even when cropped heavily. I do shoot low light with fast movement, but not like what you are describing.

I walked away from Canon DSLR after nearly 15 years. It was ok when I had  bunch of littles and just put it in full auto. Shooting in manual, I find them to be clunky and slow. I want something that is fast to change my settings on so I don't miss anything. 

Canon and Nikon are funny about 3rd party lenses. Since lenses are the bigger investment this killed both brands for me. There are fun 3rd party lenses out there that are not expensive and sometimes fun is what matters. 

That left Sony and Fujifilm. The closest camera shop doesn't carry either brand so I ended up at Bestbuy. I was surprised that one of the employees at Bestbuy was a Sony representative. He shot with and obviously preferred Sony but was still able to answer my questions about so many things I hadn't even considered. Fujifilm won out for the ergonomics and my needs.

APS-C vs Full Frame vs Medium Format

It doesn't sound like a Medium format would fit your needs, but if you can afford to buy a Hasselblad I am your new BFF, can I borrow your camera? Lol

Do you really need full frame? Maybe, maybe not, some people refuse to go to APS-C crop sensor for various reasons. I am the opposite, I do not have a reason to go full frame for what I do. If I need more then what I currently have it is going to far exceed full frame, I am going to need a medium format camera. When that happens I will rent one.

Another point in favor of Fujifilm was that Fujifilm does a great job with the crop sensor, this is not universal though so I highly suggest really exploring this in brands that do APS-C and full frame. It will also matter when it comes to lenses.  

• Like 3

I have some nicer lenses but I invested in Canon and have all Canon lenses.   To switch will mean a huge investment and I really would prefer not to spent that much.

I know Sony has come out on top for several mirrorless lately, I just can't justify the cost.

I need something to capture moving shot from across the field, so an iPhone doesn't really work that well doing that (or capturing animals far away chasing another animal.)

For most things, an iPhone is fine, but not for the things I need the DSLR/Mirrorless for.

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

I have some nicer lenses but I invested in Canon and have all Canon lenses.   To switch will mean a huge investment and I really would prefer not to spent that much.

I know Sony has come out on top for several mirrorless lately, I just can't justify the cost.

I need something to capture moving shot from across the field, so an iPhone doesn't really work that well doing that (or capturing animals far away chasing another animal.)

For most things, an iPhone is fine, but not for the things I need the DSLR/Mirrorless for.

If the lenses are in good shape you might look at what they would sell for and then look at used cameras. Lots of people with GAS and there is a nice second hand market out there. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DawnM said:

A thought that hit me in the middle of the night that may have a huge impact on your camera choice. Some lens adapters do not support autofocus. Even staying with Canon and going to mirrorless it is something to keep in mind. 

I learned to shoot with a manual focus camera and I am not shooting moving subjects at a distance so this isn't something I have at the front of my mind when looking at gear.

• Like 1

Thank you all......I guess ask and ye shall receive.   I was talking to some friends about needing a new body and one of them offered me his older Canon 7d which is really all I need.   I know it was well taken care of, so I am going to go ahead and get that and use it and see what I think.

• Like 3

I had every generation of Sony mirrorless starting in 2001.  I went DSLR to start a photo business but now that I have closed the business and am older I want to go back to the Sony. I’d get a 6300 or 6500  BUT …phone cameras are so good now that unless you’re planning on blowing up photos for wall art…it’s not worth carrying the extra gadget.  That said, I’ll be taking my Sony rx100 to Europe this year.  The bigger chip makes for better photos you want for medium size wall art or even for websites.