Menu

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Sneezyone

If you’re traveling in a duo or group and are offered a complimentary service upgrade (and your travel companion(s) are not) do you take it? What if accepting the upgrade earns you addl. loyalty points, miles, or rewards?

Edited by Sneezyone

It depends on the upgrade. For example, my ex-colleague was offered an upgrade to a business class seat during his family vacation. He let his elderly mom had the seat. Or if the complimentary upgrade is for more luggage allowance, it is easy for us to check in our immediate family members luggage under ours. For hotel room upgrades, if it is only our family, we would take it of course. If we are traveling with relatives, then it depends. Some relatives would be happy for us while others would be jealous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I might have this issue for one half of my (‘leisure’) trip today and possibly for my entire (work) trip with DS in May. I upgraded DSs legroom already but I’ve flown A LOT in the last year and have a bunch of trips this year too. I earned a systemwide status upgrade for the first time so my comp. Upgrade odds are much higher overall. I feel kinda bad and kinda not. This is the one bright spot in a lot of chaos and disorder.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I think I might have this issue for one half of my (‘leisure’) trip today and possibly for my entire (work) trip with DS in May. I upgraded DSs legroom already but I’ve flown A LOT in the last year and have a bunch of trips this year too. I earned a systemwide status upgrade for the first time so my comp. Upgrade odds are much higher overall. I feel kinda bad and kinda not. This is the one bright spot in a lot of chaos and disorder.

Upgrade.  Unless that leaves your DS in a different area and he is young and needs you by him.  Otherwise enjoy the upgrade, you deserve it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, and I would take turns with my friends (switch seats mid-flight) so we could all enjoy some of it.

(But not the kids.  They can suck it up.  We old people suffer a lot more on long flights.)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1