Menu

How did you all fulfill your health credit?

I see Apologia has a program, it looks beefy.  Maybe unnecessarily beefy.  There's the PACE health, which... I don't like the "people with healthy issues physical or mental are a drain on society" vibe.

What else is there?

We mostly DIY with lots of discussion over the years about nutrition, sleep, exercise, sexuality etc. Dd had First Aid and CPR training, plus several badges on health related topics with her scouting organization.

She ended up taking health at our tutorial too, for fun bc lots of friends were in it and the tutor was great, but it was already on her transcript by then.  

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

We're spreading it out over the four years, too. I made a list of topics I want to make sure the kid knows about, and am doing a combination of jumping on opportunities and homemade sort-of unit studies (huh, my 1990s homeschool Mama will be proud). 

We've found babysitting certification, cpr/first aid, food safety, and childcare worker training for free through various opportunities. A few of those popped up through DD16's job. The health department offers some of them online, free. 

One semester she read Bryson's book, The Body. Last semester she read Never Enough (Grisel) and Dreamland (Quinones) on addiction and drug policy, and looked at some PowerPoint slides on drug paraphernalia provided by a sheriff's deputy friend. All three of those books were excellent. 

• Like 1

I didn't worry about it with my oldest, our state doesn't require us to fulfill any specific classes and I didn't feel like I needed to include it. 

When my second son went to public school (starting in 10th grade) I had to say we'd done Health so that he could get a credit for PE/Health for 9th grade, otherwise he'd have had to do two years of PE. I just wrote a few sentences saying he had "Explored nutrition as relates to a vegan diet. Discussed drugs and alcohol and sexual health." And he had a CPR certification which I mentioned. They were fine with that with no other documentation. 

We are using Apologia (Exploring Creation with Health and Nutrition) right now for our 10th grader, and it's just what we were looking for -- a get er' done health and wellness course, substantive, not too much work.  Then again, he does have some genuinely hard classes right now, so maybe the easiness here is relative.  I wouldn't say it's "too beefy," though, and we were specifically looking for something that wasn't going to be a lot of pointless work. 

• Like 1