Menu

New CC experience for me! 🤣😣

Carrie12345

We’ve talked a lot about community college quality, and I’ve mostly had a decent experience with my online cc courses, except for my attitude about having little substance to respond to in most class discussion boards.

But now I’ve been forced to tackle a 100-level Bio class in person. It’s going to be a long semester!

In class yesterday, the professor asked if we were familiar with the term “species”. And if we had heard of Darwin. We “learned” the scientific method. And had to practice measuring things. When do I get to drink formaldehyde and get it over with???

And the kids. We have the class clown, the one who asks dumb questions every 30 seconds, the one who answers questions instead of leaving it to the teacher, the one with an anecdote for every fact, the one who asks if this will be on the test, and the one who shakes their iced coffee. It’s like a movie that lacks creativity.

It has been confirmed that I belong online.

• Like 1
  • Haha 30
  • Sad 1

Try teaching the class. 😭  I have one student that probably never took a science class beyond earth science in high school. I have one student who, quite literally, is a junior STEM major at Cornell and is taking my class because it looks great on medical school applications.  And everything in between. 

It is actually incredibly difficult.

• Like 15

Yeah, I’m online too. And still some stuff pops up that makes me go hmmmm. In my case there are 2 groups, the ones who are my kids age (and they’re just precious but so in earnest) and the ones who are my age. I’m hoping to CLEP out of my bio class.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Try teaching the class. 😭  I have one student that probably never took a science class beyond earth science in high school. I have one student who, quite literally, is a junior STEM major at Cornell and is taking my class because it looks great on medical school applications.  And everything in between. 

I can only imagine!

9 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yeah, I’m online too. And still some stuff pops up that makes me go hmmmm. In my case there are 2 groups, the ones who are my kids age (and they’re just precious but so in earnest) and the ones who are my age. I’m hoping to CLEP out of my bio class.

I had fully intended to CLEP this, but my adhd apparently responds better to a higher price tag! 😑 I never got myself on a decent cram schedule to sure up my weak spots.

42 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Ouch!

46 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

We’ve talked a lot about community college quality, and I’ve mostly had a decent experience with my online cc courses, except for my attitude about having little substance to respond to in most class discussion boards.

But now I’ve been forced to tackle a 100-level Bio class in person. It’s going to be a long semester!

In class yesterday, the professor asked if we were familiar with the term “species”. And if we had heard of Darwin. We “learned” the scientific method. And had to practice measuring things. When do I get to drink formaldehyde and get it over with???

And the kids. We have the class clown, the one who asks dumb questions every 30 seconds, the one who answers questions instead of leaving it to the teacher, the one with an anecdote for every fact, the one who asks if this will be on the test, and the one who shakes their iced coffee. It’s like a movie that lacks creativity.

It has been confirmed that I belong online.

You should write a new season of "Community"! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For anyone back in college, I highly recommend seeing if and what type of transfer credits your school accepts. Also whether they accept them once you are already enrolled. Because dh was able to knock out 30 credits  over a 3 month time frame on a site called Sophia learning that was cheaper than CLEP.  He has another 30 from there that he can do while also enrolled at Thomas Edison State University.

He went this route to speed up the college process, we're aiming for a Bachelors in 2 years. He's got 36 credits and started in July 2023 and will have another 30 done within the next 4 months hopefully. 

• Like 6

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that if our zany, local CC ever offered "Intro to Anthropology" with someone as classically hilarious as the great Betty White (sniff sniff, she was a wonderful lady), I would sign up in a heartbeat!

If you don't know the reference go to season 2 Episode 1 on Netflix and watch! You won't regret it. 😂😂😂

• Like 2

I haven’t seen the show.

As I’m technically adjunct at a community college though, can I watch it today in my office on my personal MacBook while muting the enormously boring recorded online trainings I have playing on my work desktop, and call it research?

I feel like yes.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I haven’t seen the show.

As I’m technically adjunct at a community college though, can I watch it today in my office on my personal MacBook while muting the enormously boring recorded online trainings I have playing on my work desktop, and call it research?

I feel like yes.

Absolutely.  It is a great show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I haven’t seen the show.

I feel like yes.

Oh absolutely! Call it a training session on all the things you shouldn't do. Call it an ethics course.

😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

We “learned” the scientific method.  

to be fair - 1dd would scream at MythBusters LACK of scientific method.

if you want to have fun - take in a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide.  

eta: the fun that is, is right up there with the guys at the University of Vermont who wanted to call attention to the lack of civics education by having a "petition to ban women's suffrage".  A lot of female students signed it.  Only one called them out. . . .

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

We just watched the latest Veritaseum episode where the guy (who is Australian-Canadian!) asked the students to rank star, planet, moon, galaxy, in order of size. These were university or college students and none of us could really believe that they thought stars were small because they look really tiny in the sky, but maybe it's true?!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1