Menu

Fridge Door Bins

happypamama

The Hive knows everything. . .

I have had the worst luck with fridge door bins. They're just so cheap and break so easily. This happened with both my LG and my Samsung. And the replacements are so expensive. We're really pretty good about not overloading them, but they just do not last. 

Can anyone recommend options for my Samsung? What I would really like are metal mesh replacements, but those don't seem to be possible. Are there suction cups ones that would be decent? Or something else I have not thought of? We *can* live without them, but it's really annoying not to have them. 

21 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’ve never broken one of them so I have no idea, but I’m happy to comment to keep this bumped up.

I appreciate that! 

I just don't know what we're doing wrong. Our appliances do get heavy use because we have a large family, but we're careful with the bins. I just don't get why they break so easily for us. 

14 minutes ago, happypamama said:

I appreciate that! 

I just don't know what we're doing wrong. Our appliances do get heavy use because we have a large family, but we're careful with the bins. I just don't get why they break so easily for us. 

I don't have bins on the door of my fridge. o_0 What kind do you have? What are their uses? Did they come with the fridge or did you buy them?

33 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I don't have bins on the door of my fridge. o_0 What kind do you have? What are their uses? Did they come with the fridge or did you buy them?

They came with the fridge, for holding condiments and such. (This pic shows milk, but we don't keep milk or anything heavy at all in them, just things like condiments and coffee bags.)

Screenshot_20240119-130147.png

25 minutes ago, Myra said:

My two bins in the main section of fridge as well as doors are currently duct-taped together since replacing them are so darn expensive.  I feel your pain!

I appreciate the solidarity! It's ridiculous that they're so thin and cheaply made. 

• Like 1

For me it's the drawers that always break but I feel your pain.  I also find they never have as many door bins as I would prefer.  My only solution is to keep the non-broken pieces from previous fridges and wedge them into the new one as best as possible.  It does give us a bit more life out of things that way.  Of course that only works if you are in the process of getting a new fridge.

One of my fridges, I duck taped all the areas that we are prone to breaking as soon as the new fridge arrived.  That did seem to extend the life of those pieces. 

Another possible suggestion is to try posting on Facebook or other neighborhood groups if anyone is getting rid of a fridge similar to yours and see if they have bins that you could get for cheap.

• Like 1

I don't have any good alternatives, but I think I figured out that one person in my house was using the bins to pull the door open more widely and tugging on the bins to shut the doors which was leading to breakage.

• Like 2