Menu

Interesting article about integrated care for elderly

Laura Corin

The systems all over are broken.

I would love to build an assisted living center for the elderly that also included rooms for those with mild intellectual disabilities, some young professionals, etc.   A sort of multigenerational living.   The young people could help the older ones out with physical tasks and the older people could offer wisdom and guidance to the young people.  They could provide socialization for each other.

There would be a dining room serving 1-3 meals a day (depending on your needs) with some units having small kitchenettes for those able to cook on their own.

Then in the building would be nurses and aides for those that need it, a social worker to help navigate social services and social security paperwork, etc.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I would love to build an assisted living center for the elderly that also included rooms for those with mild intellectual disabilities, some young professionals, etc.   A sort of multigenerational living.   The young people could help the older ones out with physical tasks and the older people could offer wisdom and guidance to the young people.  They could provide socialization for each other.

There would be a dining room serving 1-3 meals a day (depending on your needs) with some units having small kitchenettes for those able to cook on their own.

Then in the building would be nurses and aides for those that need it, a social worker to help navigate social services and social security paperwork, etc.

There is a place not too far from me that is similar to what you describe. It used to be all assisted living, but now it allows and advertises for anyone to rent there. I think the regular rent is a bit expensive for the area, but it does after AL services to residents with an extra fee. I don’t know if it has dining services, but I have seen that it offers a “club house” for all residents.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

There is a place not too far from me that is similar to what you describe. It used to be all assisted living, but now it allows and advertises for anyone to rent there. I think the regular rent is a bit expensive for the area, but it does after AL services to residents with an extra fee. I don’t know if it has dining services, but I have seen that it offers a “club house” for all residents.

I wonder if this is still going

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/seattle-preschool-nursing-home-transforms-elderly-residents/story?id=31803817

12 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My youngest (now 15) attended a preschool in a senior living facility.  It was awesome.  Not just because of the grandmas and grandpas though, it was a great preschool for other reasons . . . 20 acres of woods and prairie and 3-4 hours a day outdoors, a full art studio (shared with the seniors), and really great teachers.  But they also did a lot with the residents.  The more independent folks would come down and read and do art with the kids and several times a week the kids would go up to the memory care unit to sing with the people there.  Kiddo learned all the 1940s popular songs.  He also went along with two classmates to the hospital to visit one of their regular story time readers who was dying.  “Grandpa Paul” wanted to see some of the kids one last time, so the director asked for parental permission and arranged a visit.  I wish the people who ran that preschool had designed an elementary school too.  We’d have enrolled in a heartbeat.

• Like 15

17 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I’ve always been intrigued by the co-op model of housing and now one city in my state is using it to help solve the housing issue.

https://www.squareonevillages.org/housing-co-op

So many people seem to have excess space and some even multiple homes, while at the same time we lack enough housing for everyone. Co-ops and other types of shared spaces would seem to be better bang for the buck.

I really like the aging in place complex where my mom lives in an independent senior apartment. There is a wide range of units (studio up three bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom plus sunroom and residents can also pay to upgrade all flooring and appliances) so a very wide array of residents and there are so many great shared spaces, both big and small, that it’s just such a pleasant place to be, not to mention that it’s built right next to walking/banking trails along the river. The only mystery is why they designed the buildings to face the parking lot and medical center rather than the river.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Danae said:

My youngest (now 15) attended a preschool in a senior living facility.  It was awesome.  Not just because of the grandmas and grandpas though, it was a great preschool for other reasons . . . 20 acres of woods and prairie and 3-4 hours a day outdoors, a full art studio (shared with the seniors), and really great teachers.  But they also did a lot with the residents.  The more independent folks would come down and read and do art with the kids and several times a week the kids would go up to the memory care unit to sing with the people there.  Kiddo learned all the 1940s popular songs.  He also went along with two classmates to the hospital to visit one of their regular story time readers who was dying.  “Grandpa Paul” wanted to see some of the kids one last time, so the director asked for parental permission and arranged a visit.  I wish the people who ran that preschool had designed an elementary school too.  We’d have enrolled in a heartbeat.

One of our local assisted and memory care facilities has a Montessori school in it. The children do regular activities with the seniors and seniors can sign up to read to the children, among other things. It's awesome!

• Like 5