Menu

Can I rant about Brazil nuts?

Terabith

Now I'm curious. 

My dh has been eating 2 a day for his thyroid. His levels were slightly off a while back. We had the big bag from Costco, but dh tore it. I don't know if it had a warning. 

I've been eating 2 at a time many days, and I've noticed more hair loss this fall than usual. I wonder if that is the culprit. I had been blaming the season change along with being post-menopausal. 

I had a look in my local Coles out of curiosity. There are 400g bags of Brazil Nuts.

The bags have a couple of warnings: allergy warnings for a range of nuts, plus a warning that there may be fragments of shell.

There's a nutrition panel that has no mention of selenium.

The bag has a recipe that uses 2 cups of Brazil nuts 🤷‍♀️

• Confused 1

I’m finding this interesting.  At first I agreed with the OP that there should be a warning and now I’m wondering if they really are that dangerous.  I wonder if the locals where they are grown ever ate them in large quantities, either as custom or maybe in times of famine when other foods were not available, or if they used them in flour or butters or something else that required them in larger quantities.  Did anything bad happen to those people?  Or, maybe they knew instinctively not to eat too many. 

Every time I hear the name Brazil nuts I realize I haven't seen the plan Charlie's Aunt in a very long time!   Loved that play.

"Braziil!  Where  the nuts come from!~" 😂

But thank you for telling us about the health and safety of these.   I don't care for them, and can tolerate one or two at most.

Acute toxicity in humans is rare and is usually fairly benign and treatable by not eating them for awhile.

The more serious concern is that chronic overconsumption over the years could potentially lead to problems that might not appear to be caused by consuming too much selenium on a daily basis.

Many factors affect selenium levels but personally, I prefer to keep it in the sweet spot: not too much and not too little.