Menu

S/O-What fictional characters do your kids relate to the best?

Dmmetler

Youngest ds definitely related to Fudge.  Though reading back through old Facebook posts of him at age 3-5, it definitely reads like a Young Sheldon bio: insanely good at math, language, and chess, but scared to death of chickens, hated dirt and swimming pools, loved order, and decided at least once to call a credit card company to try to get a loan.

• Like 1

My boys are big readers and I asked them which book characters they relate to, but they didn’t really have any.

but, I can tell you a few book characters that stand out to me as a parent. I think reading about people who are misunderstood is comforting to kids/families who feel misunderstood.

Harold Hutchins and George Beard: These boys are in Captain Underpants and are the fictional creators of Dogman. They are often causing mischief at school. They are self motivated to make comics and tell stories. They are disengaged from what the other elementary students are doing, but are doing their own thing and it’s misunderstood by most.

80-HD from Dogman This robot was created to cause harm, but li’l petey reprogrammed him to be good. Actually, I like the whole cast in Dogman… lots of push and pull between being good, bad, distracted, etc. I particularly love this scene where li’l petey tells 80-HD he can color any way he likes.

Timmy Failure He’s a kid that has his own agenda and most people don’t understand him. He has an imaginary friend who’s a polar bear. At recess, he doesn’t play with anyone, the recess monitor looks out for him. He has a hard time getting along with peers. He gets into trouble. His mom loves him dearly but has a hard time understanding him and setting boundaries. 

the owl from Good Night Owl by Greg Pizzoli This one is very particular to people who are very sensitive to sound. Owl hears a sound in his house. He can’t sleep and can’t figure out what it is, he ends up tearing his house apart looking for the sound.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ramona Quimby: She always seems to get into mischief / trouble, but she was never malicious or trying to be difficult. She just saw the world differently.

Hiro Hamada (Big Hero 6): Dislikes the idea of “hard work” on academics but is very talented & when something captures his attention he totally dives in, a la “I have GOT to go to that nerd school!”

Seth (FableHaven): Mischievous, curious to a fault, slightly stubborn, very caring but sometimes gullible / taken advantage of, learns from his mistakes. 

Tulin (Zelda): Ready, FIRE!, aim… 😅 (impulsiveness)

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 1