Menu

Tell me which travel cup I need

Spryte

8 minutes ago, Spryte said:

And would cream be safe for that long, or do I need to adjust to drinking it black — but hopefully still hot?

I use milk sometimes for my coffee though I prefer my coffee black. My Yeti, Hydroflask, Kleen Kanteen tumblers can keep my coffee hot for that long but do get “sour” with milk if I keep taking sips. If I pour out from my tumbler into a cup to drink, my coffee latte would be okay since saliva doesn’t get into the tumbler. 
ETA: my biggest insulated bottle is a liter since I share my coffee with my husband on road trips. He prefers latte but don’t mind coffee black.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SHP said:

Heavy cream is my preference. I won’t be sipping it for ten hours or so.

Any creamer tends to split or go weird after several hours in coffee. I have tried it with long travels, and it just isnt the same fresh. If you are in the position to travel with it separately, I recommend that. 

My Stanley thermos can keep stuff hot for 18 hours, but for travel mugs I like my Hydroflask best. My Contigo, Ello, Kleen Kanteen, and Simple Modern (all stainless steel insulated) are only good for 4-5 hours. 

To get a good 12 hours out of a thermal mug, be sure to preheat the mug with boiling water for 10 minutes and then fill it with your piping hot beverage. Otherwise the mug will draw some of the heat out of your drink to heat the insulated material.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spryte said:

DH has a Stanley cup, but I hate to put coffee in it since he only uses it for water. I may experiment with hot water to see how long it stays truly hot, though.

Brew your own on demand?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/stanley-classic-perfect-brew-pour-over-coffee-maker?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas|Shopping|PMax|Camping|General|NAud|NVol|NMT&&&&&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-vLEztj2ggMVhPGUCR25mAwgEAQYCiABEgL8y_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Cow. I’ve never found a coconut heavy cream sold here, nor an oat. Allergies to the other options.

I may go with no cream, or cream on the side.

Oatly Full Fat not heavy enough? It can be hit or miss in stores here. 

To keep liquids hot for 10 hours you need a proper vacuum bottle with a thick screw-cap.   I don't think that there exists a travel mug/tumbler that will keep a beverage really hot for 10 hours - by definition, they all have a thin spot in the lid to accomodate the drinking mechanism, and that's where the heat leaks out. 

Contigo mug is only good for a few hours (thin lid), but it spill-proof. Thermos King mug keeps heat in longer (thicker lid), but you have to remember to shut the drink port after each sip or it will leak heat (and spill if tipped).  It won't keep a drink really hot for 10 hours though.

THermos King vacuum bottle keeps my tea steaming hot for >24h.

For long shifts I use a 3 vessel strategy:  Large vacuum bottle to hold my tea for the duration of the shift, and pour out from that into a contigo  mug to drink from.  I add milk to the contigo mug as I go - I have access to a fridge (so I guess it's really a 3 vessel strategy) or , if I won't have access to a fridge, I preheat the milk and then add it to the main vacuum bottle at home before I leave.  Adding cold milk to a hot bev pre-cools it too much, and it won't stay hot for as long as otherwise.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SHP said:

Oatly Full Fat not heavy enough? It can be hit or miss in stores here. 

I haven’t been able to find that in the stores we frequent. If it’s available, it would be inconvenient. Which is a bummer.

However, I think I can go with no cream, and that will work!

• Like 1