Menu

What should I make for Thanksgiving?

Drama Llama

It’s not quite as late as it sounds since we will celebrate on Sunday. 

We will have 21 people, from 5 months to 93.  I am in charge of one appetizer, all the vegetables, and one dessert, which will be sour cream apple pie.

Main dish will be fried chicken and fried oyster mushrooms, because no one likes turkey enough to do it twice.

Other people are doing Mac and cheese and stuffing and some kinda potatoes and some kinda bread, and cranberry sauce.  

We like novelty more than tradition for the most part, other than the pie, and I like to cook so fancy is fine.

Ideas?

That looks delicious, Katy!

DL, I am taking this lovely salad:  https://juliasalbum.com/sweet-potato-salad/?fbclid=IwAR3at0eYUEZ2B9Mv8rXnvxEPjZpXz5gsURwOurZ1qPuspvezBubwVYLgX24

I was at a Friendsgiving the other day where a dish very similar to this was an appetizer: https://thestayathomechef.com/cranberry-salsa/  It was so good!

ETA: I have not made this salad before. But it looks yummy.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A green salad to balance out the fried things. Crisp and fresh.

What are other favorite veggies?

Looks like starches are already well represented, so I’d go with low carb choices. I love a quick sauté of asparagus, broc, and sugar snaps with garlic. I blanch them first; then the actual prep is only a few minutes.

Will you need to bring a dish ready to serve, or can you heat something there? Oven or stove available? 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

A green salad to balance out the fried things. Crisp and fresh.

What are other favorite veggies?

Looks like starches are already well represented, so I’d go with low carb choices. I love a quick sauté of asparagus, broc, and sugar snaps with garlic. I blanch them first; then the actual prep is only a few minutes.

Will you need to bring a dish ready to serve, or can you heat something there? Oven or stove available? 

We will definitely have some kind of salad and almost definitely soup, because I really love soup.

We won't have any vegans this year, so I am kind of looking forward to things that have a lot of cheese and butter.  We will have one pescatarian. 

I like to cook, and I'll have access to a full kitchen, so I'd like to fill up a lot of the day cooking.   So, I'm looking for things that are fiddly or impressive.

14 hours ago, Jaybee said:

This salad looks really good.  I feel like sweet potatoes should be on the table somewhere.  My only hesitation is I can't do nuts, and I feel like maybe the pecans are required for some balance?  I could double the pepitas to make up for the pecan's crunch but that's a much milder taste. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

This salad looks really good.  I feel like sweet potatoes should be on the table somewhere.  My only hesitation is I can't do nuts, and I feel like maybe the pecans are required for some balance?  I could double the pepitas to make up for the pecan's crunch but that's a much milder taste. 

It wouldn't be the same flavor, of course, but you could sub roasted sunflower seeds to go with the pepitas.

• Thanks 1

What about Thai Basil Rolls or Spanikopita? Both are fiddly (but delicious!) and would keep you in the kitchen for a while! Caprese skewers are also good, but they might be too quick and easy for your preferences (and the red/green/white might look too Christmas-y for a Thanksgiving dinner)

Edited by Amoret
  • Thanks 1

I just wasn't inspired, so I asked the kids, and some adults what they wanted, and right now, I am thinking this, although I have been known to change.  Obviously, if it's not by me, I have no say in it, so just critique my part!

Appetizers (basically things for people to nosh on while they stay out of the kitchen, since we won't serve a sit down lunch, except to the very young and very elderly)

A variety of deviled eggs (me)

Fava dip with lots of raw vegetables to dip (me)

Cranberry brie

First course

leek parsnip soup (me)

apple sauce (me) 

Main course

Fried chicken

Fried mushrooms

Baked mac and cheese

oyster dressing

cranberry relish

cranberry sauce from a can 

basket of homemade breads

savory mashed sweet potatoes (me)

sweet potato fries (me) 

make your own salad, with all the ingredients for caesar as an option (me)

chickpea croutons for the salad, but at least one kid will eat a bowl of them (me)

parmesan roasted vegetables -- delicata squash, broccoli, maybe something else that looks good in the store (me)

Brussel sprouts and shallots with balsamic and optional pancetta (me)

peas (me)

Dessert

Sour cream apple pie (me)

caramel ice cream

cookies

other delicious things 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Looks fabulous!

@Drama Llama Another day, will you come back and post the leek n parsnip soup recipe, please?

I got the recipe from NYT, but it's behind a paywall.  The first recipe here seems to be the same: https://lopezislandkitchengardens.com/tag/david-tanis-creamy-leek-and-parsnip-soup/

I have no idea if it will be good.  It only has 4 stars on NYT, but the negative comments are mostly about the fact that the quantities are vague.  

I am wondering if it needs a crispy topping of some kind.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

French fried onions on top of the soup? 

Maybe but we have a lot of fried stuff coming later.

Maybe the lentils from this:

https://rainbowplantlife.com/butternut-squash-soup-with-crispy-lentils/#works

Or crispy quinoa?
https://www.craftycookbook.com/creamy-white-bean-soup-with-crispy-quinoa/

Or maybe just yogurt or creme fraiche is enough?  Especially since I'm already making crispy chickpeas and sweet potato fries (special request from a kid) and there is fried chicken/mushrooms so we have addressed the need for crispiness in other parts of the meal.

• Like 2