Menu

November craft /sewing/ knitting/everything creative thread

Melissa in Australia

I have actually been doing a bit of sewing lately. Have you seen those felt corner bookmarks? Here's an example: Embroidered Corner Bookmarks : 5 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables  I got the kids to make one too. Instead of fancy embroidery we just sewed stars (single stitches across one another). 

I have also got a whole lot of small chewing gum containers and I have wrapped them in felt with embroidery too. I thought they might be nice gifts (here is a page where they've turned them into an advent calendar) HOW TO MAKE AN ADVENT CALENDAR - Out of Recycled Gum Containers - JOYFUL DAISY What do you think could be put in there - apart from lollies of course? I was thinking for one niece that I had a few Christmassy figures, animals etc so it could be a tiny playset?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bookbard said:

What do you think could be put in there - apart from lollies of course?

I love your idea about figures and animals. A few puzzle pieces in each one to make a small puzzle. Jokes on paper. Those twisted metal logic puzzles. Peg dolls with yarn, fabric scraps and a black pen for decorating. Small embroidery kit. Hot Wheels car and painters tape (low stick) to make a road. Origami paper and instructions. Long paper strips for folding paper stars. Lego pieces and instructions over a couple of days. Recipe card for sugar cookies with a jar of sprinkles. Gosh, I'm having fun here!

2 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I love your idea about figures and animals. A few puzzle pieces in each one to make a small puzzle. Jokes on paper. Those twisted metal logic puzzles. Peg dolls with yarn, fabric scraps and a black pen for decorating. Small embroidery kit. Hot Wheels car and painters tape (low stick) to make a road. Origami paper and instructions. Long paper strips for folding paper stars. Lego pieces and instructions over a couple of days. Recipe card for sugar cookies with a jar of sprinkles. Gosh, I'm having fun here!

Oh wow you have such brilliant ideas!!

Now you've given me a great idea - making a whole variety as a sort of lucky dip . . . 

Edited by bookbard
  • Haha 1

@bookbard, my husband was the one who took charge of our daughter's wooden advent calendar when she was younger. He would hide edible goodies in some of the openings and sometimes money. In others, he would leave a rhyming note that would correspond to something like a book (often used), pajamas, a new game (new to her but often used), a fun soap, tickets to a local performance, or items too big to fit the opening. After she read the note, he would fetch the item.

My daughter has been living in South Korea for ten years now. She's planning a trip home in March and will be here for twenty days. My husband was saying this morning that it might be fun to pull out the advent calendar for her March stay. Can you tell he enjoyed filling the advent calendar?!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Just a few of the things I have been working on this month. We actually emptied my craft room to paint it and most of my time has been spent organizing it. The pink shirt I found in my craft room. It was my youngest daughter's when she was about 10. I repaired it to give to my granddaughter (her niece).

20231128_062953.jpg

20231128_063218.jpg

• Like 6