Menu

Jelly Bean houses

wintermom

Has anyone ever heard of these? They are colourful rowhouses, and in some Canadian maritime provinces (Newfoundland, New Brunswick). They are called Jelly Bean houses because of the different, bright colours. The photo below is from St. John's, Newfoundland.

I know that other coastal villages often have brightly colours houses and rowhouses. Do they have special names, too, or is this a Canadian thing? 

image.png.3e4dabc9282e3ffb2b7124685e497b88.png

• Like 3

Colorful row houses are common, but I've never heard that term.

In Dublin the brick Georgians typically aren't painted but the doors are often colorful https://www.sidewalksafari.com/2020/10/best-dublin-doors.html. The story is that when Britains Queen Victoria died, the Irish were commanded to paint their doors black in mourning, so of course they refused and painted them bright colors instead. Lol 

• Like 1

Love seeing all the different coloured houses and the special names! I knew that they existed in lots of places, but I'd never heard of some of the local names for them. When I first saw the term "Jelly Bean houses" I was picturing some kind of gingerbread house covered in actual jelly beans. 😅 

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Love seeing all the different coloured houses and the special names! I knew that they existed in lots of places, but I'd never heard of some of the local names for them. When I first saw the term "Jelly Bean houses" I was picturing some kind of gingerbread house covered in actual jelly beans. 😅 

I like this. Make Easter candy jelly bean houses!

• Like 1